Collar questions

isuhunter

Collar questions

Post by isuhunter » Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 am

I'm looking at collars and I'm looking at the Sportdog 1825 or the Tritronics G3. I have a couple questions...

I'm a first time owner and have never had a collar before. I have GSP that will be used for waterfowling and upland hunting

What would you choose?
Buzz feature on the tritronics -- is that more of a vibrate?
How many of you would recommend to get the beeper setup w/ remote control? (If I understood the guy at Scheels correctly, if I get a basic collar and add a beeper I can't control it from the remote. But I could if I got the upland collar I would have functionality through the remote?)

marysburg

Re: Collar questions

Post by marysburg » Sun May 27, 2012 7:12 am

I have one of each of these two collars, and this is the important difference which I have found between them. The sportdog, set on level one is too hot for a dog which doesn't need much stimulation. It is fine on the lab who needs level two or three, but is too hot for cueing our three britts. The Tri tronics has more choices for stimulation levels, and the lower end is much lower than the sportdog.
The only drawback I have run into with the TT is that the little wheel which selects the stimulation level has loosened up a little and sometimes it doesn't stay on the level where it was set. I will have to send it in for service. I have used both brands for years and both are reliable. Don't have a beeper setup, so can't help you there. Hope this helps.

willt

Post by willt » Sun May 27, 2012 7:52 am

I love my tt g3 unit affordable, reliable, made here in the USA, great service though i have never had a problem with mine. I have had mine for 8 years. Love it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 27, 2012 11:58 am

For many years, I used a Tritronics Sport G3 . It was good. Switched to a Dogtra 2500B/T this year as I wanted a beeper with a hand held transmitter and have no regrets.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun May 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Anything but sportdog and its subsidiary petsafe, but just my opinion from past experience with their products and customer service. I had to buy a DT after buying two of the junks. Very happy now with a DT collar and TT launchers.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:27 pm

I have had good luck with Sportdog. I bought one about 15 or 20 years ago that was powered by a 9 volt battery. One of the first models that Sportdog introduced and when ecollars were not real big yet. After about 5 years it died and it sit on the shelf till about 5 or 6 years ago or so. I then decided to put their lifetime warranty to the test. They no longer offered that model so for $75 they upgraded me to the SD 2500 model which has numerous settings and additional collars can be purchased and run on the same transmitter up to 6 collars total at a 1.5 ml range and I believe there is a tone setting as well. They now offer the SD 2525 model which I believe is an upgrade of the model I have with an additional 1/2 mile or range out to 2 miles. There are some improvements I see that would be nice. A rheostat feature for controlling the intensity of the stimulation would be nice, the transmitter is a bit bulky, the receivers don't have that nice curve to fit around the neck like the higher priced brands do and they are a bit boxy but they work well and I have never had an issue with the transmitter, collars, receivers or customer service. I guess I am lucky though because I have heard some that hate Sportdog.

I am hoping sometime in the near future that someone will improve on the ecollar and develop one that is similar to the electric stimulation workout belts and come out with one that has more than just 2 points of contact where the contact points sit flat rather than using the raised electrodes they use now. I think it would make a great improvement especially when placing the collar around the waist. JMO

Allamakee1

Post by Allamakee1 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:17 am

I have heard mixed opinions about Sportdog collars. I bought a Dogtra 7100H last year, couldn't be happier with it. It's not necessary, but I like the remote vibrate feature when any of the buttons is pressed (can be turned off). Don't know where you live, but in the cold Iowa winters, I am wearing thick gloves and it is nice to know I have hit the button. It has constant, nick, and vibrate. I have a soft smaller shorthair, so the vibrate works well and it has a huge stim range. I use on the lower end. Just my opinion/experience. Good Luck.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Wed May 30, 2012 8:00 am

How many people feel a beeper is worth the extra money to go with a Dogtra T&B 2500 or the TriTronics Sport Upland?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 am

I have used both sport dog and TT products over the last 10-15yrs running hounds retrievers and bird dogs. I will not own another Sport Dog product. I had sold out all of my ECollars when I got out of hounds and needed one for my Lab when I got started. I bought the Sport Dog because it is what our local sporting goods store carried. In the year and a half I used that collar I had to send it back to sport dog to be replaced. Each time it was due to water damage.

I got rid of the Sport dog and bought another TT and have not had any issues since.

One of the guys I hunt with went through the same thing with his sport dog.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 30, 2012 10:22 am

isuhunter wrote:How many people feel a beeper is worth the extra money to go with a Dogtra T&B 2500 or the TriTronics Sport Upland?
I think the extra money for the Dogtra 2500 beeper?T is well worth it. At some point you have to have a plan to find a lost dog or a dog hidden and on point.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 pm

i sure like my tt pro 100 (month old) i didnt get the beeper yet but its on my list. i ended up buying the tt over the dogtra 2500 because of the expandablity, i only have one dog but someday i may have two i also liked the looks of dt 1850, just didnt like there may be a fit problem on smaller dogs, the remote set up on the pro 100 seemed to be the best, 3 level of stim at your finger tips low med hi at the push of a button, but most of the time i use 1 hi which seems to fit my dog well so if i need to go up a level i have to look at the remote to go to level 2 lo so not as smooth as i hoped jumping level but i'm getting the hang of it, it took m awhile to chose a collar but the tt pro 100 fits my needs the best

Springer

Post by Springer » Wed May 30, 2012 8:49 pm

Here is my two cents.

I would buy a TT Pro 500 (18 levels of both stim.) if budget allows followed by the TT100 but the Field 90 has both continuous and momentary and can run the TT beeper collar also. The EXP is nice so you can add more dogs.

The collars are all the same so if you wanted to upgrade the transmitter that is all you would need to buy.

I have a couple of the sport models and one G2 500 2 dog. I will be selling both of my sport transmitters and one of the collars and getting a new transmitter in the near future.
My kid is running a dog now so I thought he should have his own control over his dog.

On the sport models the only thing holding the two dials in place is a rubber o-ring.

I have had Innojunk before....the name says it all. I have a couple friends with Dogtra and they like them.
Kevin