Red Setters

RVBrittHuntr

Red Setters

Post by RVBrittHuntr » Mon May 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Any info on these dogs? Looking at getting one soon if they are as good as they look.

SetterNut

Re: Red Setters

Post by SetterNut » Mon May 28, 2012 3:34 pm

I have seen some really nice Red Setters. I have not had one for many years, but I would not hesitate to get another one some day.
Steve

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon May 28, 2012 4:15 pm

The last trial I went to this spring was put on by an Irish Setter club. Man, I never realized what a difference there was in a typical Irish and typical Red Setter until that trial. Had one really nice dog run in the broke dog stake. He dissaeared and they found him, about 45 minutes later, standing a bird where they lost him. They just walked right on by. That was a Red Setter. If you want to talk about the red dogs you want to talk to Quick Irish or Red Delicious. I believe they are the resident Red pros on the board.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Mon May 28, 2012 4:28 pm

A couple of guys I would look up are Roger Boser and Don Beauchamp(sp?)
I have seen their dogs on multiple occasions and they are the real deal.
Maybe a little short range wise for my tastes but plenty of style, solid on their birds, and able to find their share.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Kmack wrote:A couple of guys I would look up are Roger Boser and Don Beauchamp(sp?)
I have seen their dogs on multiple occasions and they are the real deal.
Maybe a little short range wise for my tastes but plenty of style, solid on their birds, and able to find their share.
I agree, Roger Boser has some of the nicest dogs you will find (of any color). I don't agree that they are short on range though, he runs his dogs on the prairies and has won trials in all parts of the country including the prairies! Took RU at the Amateur Pheasant Championship out west on some big grounds last year!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon May 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Here are the prominent breeders of Red Setters in the country: http://nrsftc.com/?page_id=41

A member here, Red Delicious, has some little red rockets up in the Northwest - and as I recall is planning a litter in the not-too-distant future. Member DonF was judging a trial in which Red Delicious pups were running....I remember reading something about "800 yards off" and pulling away....definitely no so-called bootlickers in that group!

I would guess that the range of red setters is equivalent to the range in ES's. Lots of variation among the individual dogs.

There was a thread a couple weeks ago called "The other setter" -good discussion on the red dogs. viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35295&p=334062&hil ... r+#p334062

I agree they are very nice pups and have to say I'm strongly considering one for my next hunting bud.

edb

Post by edb » Mon May 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Scott and Ben Berg of Berg Bros. have nice reds and just had a litter. They should be on your call list if looking for a red.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue May 29, 2012 6:09 am

Contact my training partner, Chris Hall. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2761 . He's plugged in.

Greg J.

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Tue May 29, 2012 6:22 am

TIm Hammonds in Berea, Ky has some nice Red Setters. Until I lived in Kentucky I never saw many Red Setters but I would see them every AF trial there. He has some nice dogs that he wins with in AF trials.
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Tue May 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Hard to go wrong with any of the names I've seen mentioned.

Take a look at www.nrsftc.com, which was mentioned by somone earlier, they have lots of information on their web site.

Good luck and if you have any specific questions let us know.

Craig O.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue May 29, 2012 4:52 pm

I may be partial because he is in NC but I would look at ComeBack kennels here in Rose Hill. My two cents.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Tue May 29, 2012 5:09 pm

NC Quailhunter wrote:I may be partial because he is in NC but I would look at ComeBack kennels here in Rose Hill. My two cents.
It is hard to beat Joe's dogs, the comeback dogs are some of the best IMHO.

Craig O.