Birddog and Field Trial Participation?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Birddog and Field Trial Participation?

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:15 pm

cjhills wrote:You are still relying on some body elses opinion to tell you how good your dog or anything else in a judge event is. if you have a dog you really like would you not breed her base only on the fact that she couldn't get her FC for something like maybe a low tail. Or couldn't get a AFC because she never got a first place but had plenty of points
Telling me I don't know a good dog if I haven't been to a trial kind of equates with telling me I don't know a good looking woman unless i've been to a beauty pageant. Cj
You should always know how good your dog is. When you go to an event that is being judged all you are doing is paying for the judges opinion.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:17 pm

EXACTLY

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:28 pm

cjhills wrote:You are still relying on some body elses opinion to tell you how good your dog or anything else in a judge event is. if you have a dog you really like would you not breed her base only on the fact that she couldn't get her FC for something like maybe a low tail. Or couldn't get a AFC because she never got a first place but had plenty of points
Telling me I don't know a good dog if I haven't been to a trial kind of equates with telling me I don't know a good looking woman unless i've been to a beauty pageant. Cj
But it is going to be hard to market and sell the pups to anyone who is not personally familiar with her.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:36 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
You should always know how good your dog is. When you go to an event that is being judged all you are doing is paying for the judges opinion.

Ezzy

Here's an opinion and you don't even need to pay for it. Man there are a lot of idiots on here.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:58 pm

You know, when you are batting you should not face the umpire. You would have a much better chance of hitting the ball in the park.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:17 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

Here's an opinion and you don't even need to pay for it. Man there are a lot of idiots on here.
We all are awaer of that but we still like you. :roll: :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:59 pm

No not really. You should know full well what kind of dog you have before you step to the line. If you don'tyou should not be contemplating breeding anything.

What you are doing at the trial, or test is seeking public confirmation and documented proof of what you must already know is in there.

This willingess to "put it out there" for others to see and pass judgement on is not without risk. Some dogs that do spectacualrly when hunting alone shut down or just plain stink up the place when forced to run in a brace. Some dogs that are spectacular in training, come apart at the seams when placed in a competitive situation with a bunch of strangers, horses, a 4 wheeler or two and a lot of whooping and hollering. Dogs are also not machines...they sometimes just have a bad day.

However, when you do step to the line and place yourself and your dog under the scrutiny of strangers who are only interested in what the dog has to show them... you thumb your nose at those risks and say: "I'm here to show you what I brung and it is something special... now check THIS out." That does take a certain measure of Chutzpah.

Once again there is the value of the success in a test or trial. The dog that is spectacular on training day...AND also has what it takes to repeat that in a foreign environment, in front of strangers, on lousy flying planted birds., etc, etc., is certainly a dog that is more mentally "centered" and able to cope with a variety of distractions and still perform at a high level. That is breeding stock.

And of course, since you have documented proof in the form of a SH, MH, AFC,FC or Ch or whatever, you are not the only person in the world who thinks your dog is the greatest thing since sliced bread. A bunch of total strangers who have looked at a whole lot of bird dogs...have agreed with you AND they put it in writing.

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Once again there is the value of the success in a test or trial. The dog that is spectacular on training day...AND also has what it takes to repeat that in a foreign environment, in front of strangers, on lousy flying planted birds., etc, etc., is certainly a dog that is more mentally "centered" and able to cope with a variety of distractions and still perform at a high level. That is breeding stock.
Absolutely...agree 100%...the good ones "bring it" all the time...no matter what. But I have been at this 50 years, and I know a good dog when I see it....and I don't need a couple of guys in the saddle to tell me. If we only bred the top winners, the gene pool would get real tight, real fast in a lot of breeds. But we should thank the folks that do the work in every venue....

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:21 pm

JKP wrote:
Absolutely...agree 100%...the good ones "bring it" all the time...no matter what. But I have been at this 50 years, and I know a good dog when I see it....and I don't need a couple of guys in the saddle to tell me. If we only bred the top winners, the gene pool would get real tight, real fast in a lot of breeds. But we should thank the folks that do the work in every venue....
You might not...I might not...But the plain fact is that many folks are very well served by that documented assurance.

The plain fact is that there is no way that most folks from the East coast can make any sort of informed, objective decision about the relative merits of a dog in California or Oregon without test or trial information. I submit that only a VERY few folks will be willing to drive halfway across the country to look at a dog themselves. I am not one of that few.

I said it before and it bears repeating. Unless you, yourself see the dog perform, you don't know what it is capable of. However if you see an SH or MH or a UT prize 1 or 2 after the dog's name or an FC/AFC/Ch in front, and you know what it takes for a dog to achieve that... you DO have a certain level of understanding what the dog can do...regardless of where the dog is located.

RayG

RayG