Can you see it?

JoshHaker

Can you see it?

Post by JoshHaker » Thu May 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Can you see the EP in other breeds? Sometimes when I look at GSP's and Brittany's I see caracteristics of an EP. Did early shorthairs have white in there coloring? Is that bowlegged look you see in some shorthairs coming from an EP? Also I have seen a shorthair that has allot of white that seems to run with a different gait that I have seen pointers run with.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Can you see it?

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 31, 2012 3:31 pm

Clear white has always been in the German shorthaired pointer genetic set. It is recessive and, therefore, virtually impossible to eliminate.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu May 31, 2012 4:12 pm

JoshHaker wrote:Can you see the EP in other breeds? Sometimes when I look at GSP's and Brittany's I see caracteristics of an EP. Did early shorthairs have white in there coloring? Is that bowlegged look you see in some shorthairs coming from an EP? Also I have seen a shorthair that has allot of white that seems to run with a different gait that I have seen pointers run with.
do you have any idea the can of worms you just opened?? :) :) this thread could get interesting very fast!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:18 pm

JoshHaker wrote:Can you see the EP in other breeds?
nope

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Thu May 31, 2012 4:46 pm

:D :lol: as long as you keep your eyes closed, you won't be able to see it.

Just take a look at this thread, and you will note the obvious differences in the breeds, like the small britts compared to the bigger german dogs used to hunt fur and feather :mrgreen: :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=34417&start=50

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu May 31, 2012 6:53 pm

Is that bowlegged look you see in some shorthairs coming from an EP?
I was told the bowlegged ones are the horseback dogs...from riding horses all the time I guess. Giddyup.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu May 31, 2012 7:38 pm

DGFavor wrote:
I was told the bowlegged ones are the horseback dogs...from riding horses all the time I guess. Giddyup.
Lol...

On another note can anyone please post this years winners of the Akc nationals at Ames to add a little fuel to the fire. We have had this whole argument before. Not everyone likes the same thing i understand. But its a way to squeeze something in that would not be accepted in its entirety.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 31, 2012 8:05 pm

JoshHaker wrote:Can you see the EP in other breeds? Sometimes when I look at GSP's and Brittany's I see caracteristics of an EP. Did early shorthairs have white in there coloring? Is that bowlegged look you see in some shorthairs coming from an EP? Also I have seen a shorthair that has allot of white that seems to run with a different gait that I have seen pointers run with.
Josh,

In case you don't know there have been lots of threads about the rumors of one or more pointers that were supposedly cross bred with GSPs, before DNA typing. White though, has been in GSPs for hundreds of years, long before this century's cross breeding rumors. You know, all dogs are descended from wolves so they are all related. Just like the two researchers in Finland who recently announced they've proven that people all started with brown eyes until one man developed a genetic variation for blue eyes about 8-10,000 years ago. Supposedly all blue eyed individuals are related and come from that single man ..... but what variation between blue eyed individuals has developed!

You know back when they were developing these "purebred" dogs they were trying lots of combinations to get what they wanted & what would continue to breed to form. So now to cross breed for improvement is nearly unheard of as we're fixated on the fact that what's been produced so far is the best ever. We have rules for competition to prevent cross bred dogs from being presented as a purebred dog of a certain breed. Personally it's hard for me to see much pointer in Brits. With similar coloring and coats it's much easier to imagine some GSPs looking pointerish. By the way I'm willing to start the rumors that some GSPs were cross bred to pointers to improve the pointer's retrieving instinct ... but anyone can start a rumor. :mrgreen:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu May 31, 2012 8:11 pm

DGFavor wrote:
True.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 31, 2012 8:14 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
DGFavor wrote:
True.

Love that pic! :D
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:39 pm

gotpointers wrote:
DGFavor wrote:
Lol...

On another note can anyone please post this years winners of the Akc nationals at Ames to add a little fuel to the fire. We have had this whole argument before. Not everyone likes the same thing i understand. But its a way to squeeze something in that would not be accepted in its entirety.
Why? What was that EP crossebred with? :mrgreen:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Considering there can be more genetic variation between members of a breed than between breeds, I don't doubt that you can see characteristics in one breed normally associated with another.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu May 31, 2012 10:11 pm

brad27 wrote:
gotpointers wrote:
Why? What was that EP crossebred with? :mrgreen:
It wasn't the ep in question. It was the runners up. :wink:

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:50 am

gotpointers wrote:On another note can anyone please post this years winners of the Akc nationals at Ames to add a little fuel to the fire...
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=34417

20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:18 am

I know i am beating a dead horse but i really want to prove the point that i could cut tails on some EP's register them as out of my Gsp's i inherited. Wait one generation and would have no worries about dna testing. and they would be accepted and sell at twice the price. There are a lot of shorthairs in avatars on here that i would not question as being part EP. Its plainly obvious you are not going to have a heavy boned liver or liver roan. As far as dna on a CH winner the parents are tested not the grand parents. Anything past the parents it all on the integrity of the breeder.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:10 am

I dont see where it makes any difference..... We have 2 appaloosas on our place both regitered apps that are 7/8 Thouroughbred.... Ive got a jeep with a chevy engine, and sometimes I wear Nike shoes with Adidas socks....

Ive heard of Setters that throw slick pups and pointers that throw shaggy haired dogs. If you dont like it do your homework and buy what ya want. Otherwise It is what it is, and "bleep" happens.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:35 am

And there in lies the problem. The word you are looking for is called integrity or lack of it in dog breeders especially those wanting to win a championship. Guess it is what it is. I call it lying and cheating buy you can call it whatever you want. :wink: Guess a guy that won't cheat for a championship don't wanna win bad enough, huh?

Kind of hard to buy what you want if you don't know what is bred into it. I love my Pointers but if I ever decided to go out and buy a GSP then that would be what I wanted not a 3/4 Pointer and 1/4 GSP. That is one reason I don't care for the HTA dogs. To me they look like a GSP with a long tail rather than a Pointer. Just my .02.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:15 am

I sure do like my GSP. Wouldn't change anything about him.