training table

gmanksu

training table

Post by gmanksu » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Can anyone tell be a ball park price range for the cost of materials to build a training table, 12-14 ft long with 4x4 ends?

JIM K

Re: training table

Post by JIM K » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 pm

my WHOA table is just 1 sheet of osb board 4x8 by 5/8 thick.cut in half long ways and use 1 side cut in half for ramp.use 2 hinges.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:18 pm

My first table was an ol' worn dining room table I got at a flea market for $10. Had a plywood top and sturdy legs. My current table came from a demo site. They were knocking down a shop in Joplin that had sustained damage from the twister and had the table sitting out front next to a pile of junk. I stopped in and asked about it and ended up getting three tables for $40.It's a little short, but real solid and it doubles for shade for the dogs on hot days.

If I was you I'd check out Craig's List for either old dining tables or folding talbes. If you can find an old folding table you can screw in a thick piece of plywood and you're set. It's not fancy, but it's affordable.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:31 pm

I found a materials list for the table and the plans to build it. Thanks for the help.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:14 pm

JIM K wrote:my WHOA table is just 1 sheet of osb board 4x8 by 5/8 thick.cut in half long ways and use 1 side cut in half for ramp.use 2 hinges.
This is the same way I built mine except mine is 3/4 inch plywood and sits across a couple of adjustable saw horses. I think I built it for less than 30 bucks since I already had the saw horses....Works great.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:37 am

Stoneface wrote:My first table was an ol' worn dining room table I got at a flea market for $10. Had a plywood top and sturdy legs.
If I was you I'd check out Craig's List for either old dining tables or folding talbes. If you can find an old folding table you can screw in a thick piece of plywood and you're set. It's not fancy, but it's affordable.
I like your style! I do the same thing. The way i see it why waste money on something that still acheives the same end result. I pick up any buiding materials i can, light fixtures, vanities whatever i can find cheap or free. My renters are really good a tearing up stuff. I don't care if its ugly or outdated as long as it works. Most of my kennels are made from welded wire panels that were left behind by a renter who moved in a hurry.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:18 pm

birddogger wrote:
JIM K wrote:my WHOA table is just 1 sheet of osb board 4x8 by 5/8 thick.cut in half long ways and use 1 side cut in half for ramp.use 2 hinges.
This is the same way I built mine except mine is 3/4 inch plywood and sits across a couple of adjustable saw horses. I think I built it for less than 30 bucks since I already had the saw horses....Works great.

Charlie

the 3/4 inch osb board was like 29 dollars,ouch so i went with 5/8 for 13 dollars.i had 4 old hinges in garage.
i also nailed strips on ramps so it was not slippery for puppy.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Yeah, I also attached 2x2 strips on the ramps.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:12 am

i just had toby my lab of 10 yrs young on table. he likes it.cost to build was abouit 20 dollars if you dont have hinges. i did so it cost me around 15 dollars for 4x8 sheet .
it is heavy but i have back troubles ,so i got help to carry it .

i used 2 old barrels i had in yard to put under it.some are using 2x4 and bracing it that way. some are using old stumps under it.