Digital hearing protection

Munster

Digital hearing protection

Post by Munster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 am

I need help in this area. I have noticed that my right ear is feeling "cloudy" for the last month or two. I worked in the engine room during service and training the dogs and hunting I think have added to the damage. I always forget those little foam ear plugs. Now I am thinking I should just break down and get the muffs. I know longer care about looking like Mickey Mouse. The cool years are gone.

So, I need a pair that is relativly inexpensive, but affective. I dont care to buy a brand name and all I want it to do is work. I have seen some that say 24 Decibals and some that say 80. DOes that mean that after 20 Dbls. it blocks the sound?

What brands have some of you used? Which should I steer clear of?

Thanks
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Wildweeds

Re: Digital hearing protection

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:21 pm

My buddy got me a pair of peltor muffs,they enhance voice but protect against sharp sounds,I really prefer them over the foam plugs.His price on them was 38 bucks a pair.The only complaint is the switches to turn on and off are pretty sensitive and the batteries go gunnybag if they get left on.Batteries aren't really a big deal but its a pain in the butt to get them open to replace the batteries.I use em for.......weedwacking,chainsaw,tractorwork,lawnmower,and out in my shop in addition to the skeet field.Pretty handy really

featherhead

Post by featherhead » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:29 pm

The 20 decibels is the amount it reduces the noise before it gets to your ears. But thats only with a perfect fit. I'd look for something a little higher because shot gun blasts average around 160 or higher sometimes and permanent damage starts occurring around 120.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Hubby has a set of Walkers Game Ears that he loves. I think they were about $150ish. I just bought a set of Caldwell electronic muffs and they are not the quality of the Walkers but they were under $40 and work really well. I think they are rated about 30db. If you don;t want to go with electronics, the Peltor made for Midway are about as good as you can get... and only about $20.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Ya Walker or Pro Ear would be nice. But I am not sure I can swng that kind of cash I want to get them for all 3 of us.

So the highest decibles I have seen is 80. That is what I should go with?
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

featherhead

Post by featherhead » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Most important thing is to just get whats most comfortable. If its uncomfortable you're not gonna wear it. I'm 25 and half my hearing in my right ear is gone from shooting and mowing lawns for years without hearing protection. Never really occurred to me to wear it then, but now I deal with this type of thing on a daily basis (I'm in occupational health). Most of the good foam ear plugs will give you around 30 if you wear them right and thats pretty good. So just choose whichever is more comfortable, plugs of muffs. Or both if you really wanna play it safe.

By the way, what kinda hearing protection did you find thats rated at 80? Seems kinda high, I'd be a little skeptical.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:11 pm

featherhead wrote: By the way, what kinda hearing protection did you find thats rated at 80? Seems kinda high, I'd be a little skeptical.
I was wondering the same. 35 or so seems to be about the highest I have seen.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm

You have to read carefully. Some indicate at what decibel they will begin compressing or limiting the sound above that level. You can end up comparing apples to oranges.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:22 pm

By the way for those that don't know, if you are only going to wear one ear plug while hunting, place it in the ear away from the stock (on a rifle or shotgun). The ear tucked into the stock is less exposed.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it