male vs female

lockhart52

male vs female

Post by lockhart52 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 pm

I have always onwed girl pups in past, but not sure what i want to get for my new pup. just want to hear from everyone; do you like male, female, or just does not matter to you.
thankz I am new to the board and you enjoy being apart of this community.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: male vs female

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Do you have your girls fixed? It makes a difference in the discussion.

lockhart52

Post by lockhart52 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:53 pm

nikegundog wrote:Do you have your girls fixed? It makes a difference in the discussion.
I have always had them fixed, but my last dog had some complications and we almost lost her.

cptn

Post by cptn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Male all the way! I like my girls, but all of my boys have been sweet, gentle, and extremely loyal. Since I'm a girl I always seem to butt heads with my girls.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

lockhart52

Post by lockhart52 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:30 pm

yea i am a male and always had females, but thinking i might change it up this time.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:47 pm

It doesnt matter, both have there ups and downs. I own both and buy whatever flips my lid. :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:53 pm

There are several answers to this. One is that it may depend on the breed. There is a difference between, say, an English Cocker and a Chessie or a Brittany and a Wirehair. What breed did you have in mind?

It may also depend on you (or the wife). Different personalities may alter the answer.

Differences in sex, however, are almost certainly overshadowed by differences in individuals. You can't just say it's a male (or female) and therefore..

I must say that if I could only have one dog, it would probably be a male. My semi-joke is that it will take twice the work with a male, but if you do it, you'll have three times the dog. But even saying that, it probably isn't true. The well-bred dog you have, if you do right by it, is the one you love best and you wouldn''t change it for anything.

Try a male. It's a different relationship,imo. Not better, but different. imo. And keep him entire. imo.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:22 pm

My first dog was a girl, and she was really moody, if you punished her she was done hunting for the day. So my next dog i got was a male, he is a big bone head, really hard headed dog. So my next dog i just took what the breeder gave me, turned out to be a male. He is really moody like my first female dog, so i dont think there is any coralation between sex of the dog and attitude.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:55 pm

In the pointers I have had, aside from the inconvenience of twice yearly heats the females have bee, for the most part, not all that much different than the males.

I try to get the most independent minded, alpha type puppy that I can, so perhaps that is why I have not seen much of a difference. They are all knot heads and I wouldn't have it any other way. That is just the kind of dog I like. one that will grow into a dog that hunts with me and for me because it has come to understand that doing it with me and for me allows it the maximum amount of freedom. Not for everyone, I suspect, but it is what I grew up with and what I want.

Females don't mark like males, so the pots of herbs and grape tomato plants are safe with them. That is a big plus with the missus.

If we are talking puppies, I have to say that puppies are usually totally honest. They will show you who and what they are as far as their personality is concerned. They will also let you know,right away... whether they like you and trust you. I urge you to get the dog that has the personality you want in a dog and one that picks YOU. Male or female is , to me, somewhat irrelevant.

RayG

lockhart52

Post by lockhart52 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:13 pm

thank your all the replays

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:30 pm

We use to always have nothing but females, but over the past 10 years we have ended up with more males. In the line of dogs we prefer the males seem to hunt harder, longer, with more independence than the females. They have also trained just as easily and been just as natural. Now I realize this might be a coincidence and probably is but who knows.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 pm

I have & have had both. I'm more interested in their independence, prey drive, conformation, etc. Seems like there are fewer female national field trial champs but then it's easier to keep a male on the circuit without having to deal with a heat cycle. Good females are also diverted from participating in games to be used for breeding & raising pups.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:56 pm

you can see we all have our favorites. in 46 yrs hunting the birds, i know, some will say, JIM WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING THAT?

why, because i saw a lot of dogs in those years.
in all those years ALWAYS the females were best hunters.hands down. :) now, i just have new puppy coming this week.
guess what, its MALE. :roll:
i just like males more than female hunting dogs.

martydavis

Post by martydavis » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:49 am

All of my hunting dogs from day one have been males. First one was a GSP way back 35 years ago. I've always had males because using the pack mentality I could always be lead dog. Was always afraid the females wouldn't let me be their leader.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:26 pm

I have always had female dogs except for a male blueheeler for awhile, now I have a male GSP, and he trys me not all the time but alot and just hoping when he is older he gets pasted it.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 pm

I dont mind either. I lean more towards female's because they keep a cleaner kennel alot of the times but not always.