A True Versatile Gun Dog

gotpointers

Re: A True Versatile Gun Dog

Post by gotpointers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 am

Garrison wrote:
TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:I am not sure what made me laugh harder, the intent of the thread or the guy trying to hi-jack it! Either way, I spit my coffee out more than once. Thanks for the laughs!

Sometimes you have to go trolling for the trolls! :lol:

Where can i rent one o :D f them rodholders?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:03 am

BillThomas wrote:
Garrison wrote: Bill your deffinition of versatile is way different then the FRPSA definition. I would very much appreciate it if you would withhold further comment until you are thoroughly familiar with the official rules of the event.

The Concept OF The Versatile Dog was develeoped IN Europe, Coined IN Europe and elsewhere, is still practiced IN Europe by the Umbrella agency for the repesctive breed clubs.
I simply paraphrase their definition. Id appreciate if Youd use the Correct definition of the word Versatile as it applies TO European dogs and hunting tradition, not horseshoes, social events and/or Not a dictionary version.

I really dont think youd know a Versatile dog if it bit you in the rear end.
Fetching doves doesnt make a dog Versatile, nor does fetching bumpers from a lake, or fish, or teaching your dog tricks..

"The JGV-USA is a full member organization of the JGHV (Jagdgebrauchshundverband) in Germany.
The JGHV is the umbrella organization of all versatile hunting dog clubs in Germany.
They have been largely responsible for the immense success of the German performance based breeding system by providing standardized tests for all versatile hunting dogs.
Existing for almost a century now, JGHV testing standards bind all breeding organizations, including those represented here in the U.S. By evaluating the breeding quality of dogs through examination of their performance record and that of their offspring, German breeders consistently produce dogs most suitable for the modern foot hunter.
These dogs exhibit a high degree of cooperation and trainability coupled with the ability to handle any game their master desires to hunt.'

The Deutsch Drahthaar was created in Germany in the late 19th century by a small group of dedicated breeders who set out to develop a versatile hunting dog that would satisfy all aspects of German hunting in field, forest, and water.
This group of breeders succeeded in creating a versatile hunting dog that took its traits from the best dogs of the existing coarse hair breeds, cross bred with the shorthair blood. These ancestors included the Stichelhaar, Pudelpointer, Griffon, and the Deutsch-Kurzhaar.

Organization Structure:
Jagdgebrauchshundverband
A testing organization that establishes standards for the testing of all versatile dogs.

Versatile Breed Associations
Several versatile breed associations conform to the standard testing regulations of the Jagdgebrauchshundverband. Verein Deutsch Drahthaar is a versatile breed association with established breeding requirements for maintaining and improving the Deutsch Drahthaar breed.

Group North America
One of thirty-four member groups of the Verein Deutsch Drahthaar that adheres to requirements for the breeding and testing of Deutsch Drahthaar.
Does it also teach how to create a false exclusivity for the afforementioned breeds?

From past experiences i have been instructed the genetic makeup changes to a competely diffrent breed when bred without a prior request for approval?

I could be mistaken though i did have a few Miller Highlifes while eating a bag of spicy pork rinds with some tobasco sauce. They were all out of fancy cheese and crackers at the Allsups. The olny wine they carried was boonesfarm. And the cheeze in a can was still high priced.
Funds are tight, i have been saving up for one of those african hunting trips... i wanna chooot me a spotted cat too like you did.

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:03 am

Garrison wrote:
brad27 wrote:What are the membership dues and when do you guys have training days? :D
You were grandfathered in! A little gas money and a 12 pack.
we call Versatiles Utility dogs over here,
that breed is one heck of a ute (truck) dog btw, most builders have them or bull terriers on their trucks, to look after their tools.
btw i like Bundy Rum, if i bring some Bundy can i be Grandfathered in also
Bill you need to pull your head in & have some fun

........tasi (read my signature)
i'm from under down under

asc

Post by asc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:07 am

How about crabbing? Does it make the list?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:26 am

Is it just me- or does Mr. Thomas come off as somewhat of a blowhard ?? :roll:

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:40 am

gotpointers wrote:
Garrison wrote:
TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:I am not sure what made me laugh harder, the intent of the thread or the guy trying to hi-jack it! Either way, I spit my coffee out more than once. Thanks for the laughs!

I think I got the last one on the market, problem is I got suckered in to one of those lifetime lease agreements!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 am

In an effort to not look foolish in the eyes of "Real Versatile Dogmen", I wanted to make one rule clarification.

To be clear I am not talking about any of you NAVHDA sissys who cordially invite others to their training days, to train gun dogs in a way that pleases them for the likely game that they would encounter in a day afield in North America.

When I say "Real Versatile Dogman" I am talking about the guy who may have to encounter a polar bear, elephant seal and jungle cat in the same day, all highly likely to be found in Ohio or Germany on any given day.

Rule Clarification: The FRPSA does not publicly condone the use of firearms while under the influence of alcoholic beverages. We do however condone the use of alcohol and firearms.
Last edited by Garrison on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

frosso

Post by frosso » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:29 am

+1
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:08 am

Garrison wrote:

Where can i rent one o :D f them rodholders?[/quote]

I think I got the last one on the market, problem is I got suckered in to one of those lifetime lease agreements![/quote]

I understand completely, i did not read the fine print either on my contract. Sorry for the inquiry, i am envious and embarrassed at the same time. I think mr thomas set the stage with google images and i mistakingly assumed the same. :oops:

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:13 am

Sorry for my ignorance about the FRPSA, but would this qualify my pooch for entry?

http://youtu.be/Y0uHG-VrUqk

He also retrieves beer to hand without shaking them. We're still working on opening the fridge or cooler, however.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:10 am

gotpointers wrote:
Garrison wrote:

I think I got the last one on the market, problem is I got suckered in to one of those lifetime lease agreements![/quote]

I understand completely, i did not read the fine print either on my contract. Sorry for the inquiry, i am envious and embarrassed at the same time. I think mr thomas set the stage with google images and i mistakingly assumed the same. :oops:[/quote]

No need to be sorry, you know some of us still try not to take ourselves or the hobbies we do for fun too seriously! :D

On a side note with all the unforeseen fine print the lease agreement has proven to be a bit more costly than originally budgeted!
- Mark Twain-

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 am

I want one of those versatile breeds! The rod holder one! Oh wait, I have one
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:36 am

I had a few criteria that I was looking for.

Must like bird dogs.

Must be a pretty good stick on the boat.

Must be able to tend bar.

- Mark Twain-

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:26 am

Garrison wrote:
gotpointers wrote:
Garrison wrote:

I think I got the last one on the market, problem is I got suckered in to one of those lifetime lease agreements!
I understand completely, i did not read the fine print either on my contract. Sorry for the inquiry, i am envious and embarrassed at the same time. I think mr thomas set the stage with google images and i mistakingly assumed the same. :oops:[/quote]

No need to be sorry, you know some of us still try not to take ourselves or the hobbies we do for fun too seriously! :D

On a side note with all the unforeseen fine print the lease agreement has proven to be a bit more costly than originally budgeted![/quote]

The Setter is very attractive also. I have a couple of them here that share some of the same toplines as yours. Both out of Cracklin tail speed. One when he was bred to Grouse Ridge Sage. And one from when he was bred to BB's Ticker back in 2006. I have many more pointers than setters but love them all. You have very good taste in everything ive seen except for the coors beer :wink: . If i may I highly reccomend trying out some Miller dogs and Miller beer also. The more the better IMO.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Question on the beer fetching events.....are these 30 mins.....1hr....or 3hr...events? Just wanna know how much "training" is required before showing up. Also, does anyone have an idea where I can find a really good dog for seal / walrus trials? PA isn't real far from OH and I wanna be ready when they start appearing here.

-John

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 pm

mcclinj wrote:Question on the beer fetching events.....are these 30 mins.....1hr....or 3hr...events? Just wanna know how much "training" is required before showing up. Also, does anyone have an idea where I can find a really good dog for seal / walrus trials? PA isn't real far from OH and I wanna be ready when they start appearing here.

-John
Will you train your dog to remain staunch on point whilst clubbing the aforementioned seal to death?
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:44 pm

If the dog aint staunch thats an automatic dq.

Stiff Arm

Post by Stiff Arm » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Poor Bill, it's got to be very lonely living on that planet all by himself.
marvin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Being new to the versatile dog thing... I have a dumb question... do you guys use the e-collar when you are training the dog to use the tv remote?.. I'm afraid I've confused mine... :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm

They have to be able to fetch beer for longer than that. A project around the house can easily last from 8am until 8pm, and another hour or two on the couch before bed. Two retrieves is not going to get the job done. There also may be a requirement to go to the gas station on the corner and get another case if the supply starts getting low.

mcclinj wrote:Question on the beer fetching events.....are these 30 mins.....1hr....or 3hr...events? Just wanna know how much "training" is required before showing up. Also, does anyone have an idea where I can find a really good dog for seal / walrus trials? PA isn't real far from OH and I wanna be ready when they start appearing here.

-John

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 pm

Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

TChism

Post by TChism » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 pm

ckirsch wrote:Anyone happen to know when cheetah season opens? Think I'm gonna give it a try with my AA-bred pointer this year.
"Hey your dog is chasing that cheetah."

"No he is not! He is taking the front!!"

TChism

Post by TChism » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Garrison,

I would really like to know more about this new orginzation, and have some questions.

Do you have a seperate registry or can I dual register one of my dogs that is alread an AKC or FDSB registered?
Do you have tests or trials, or both?
Are the dogs judged subjectively or is it based upon numbers?
What if I have a black and white GSP that somewhat resembles a pointer with docked tail? Is it okay to run her? Does she meet your standard?
If I am particularly thirsty and my dog retireves two beers, does it get credit for a double mark/blind?
Are these events run on wild birds and domestic beers or on throw down birds and imports? I have a dog that was only raised and trained on imports. Will he be able to find and handle a domestic?
Are we allowed a scout? If so what is the scout allowed to do and is there any leaway in such actions?
Are Ch's or CH's or FC's or AFC's or MH's or JH's or Meat Dog Cert's awarded. And will they show up on a pedigree?
If I have a dog out of two Champions, will he be to hot to handle in this venue?
Is the winner picked on the sum of many events or if my dog fails the horseshoe event is he out of the running?
In general how much roading needs to be done to get the dogs in competing shape?

Oh.. and if I run a friends dog and accept a 12 pack in return, does that make me a pro?

That sums up the bulk of my questions. thanks

On a serious note.
I have hunted phesants behind heelers and worked cattle with shorthairs and wiems. I think some dogs are just smart enough to know what the boss is trying to accomlish and they find a way to help out. They definately didn't do it perfectly or by the book but it was pretty neat none the less.