"MEAT DOG"

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: "MEAT DOG"

Post by slistoe » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:38 pm

TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:
slistoe wrote:
TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:Am I reading the last three posts wrong or am I getting bagged on for poking fun at my buddies who don't own dogs. Please explain?
I didn't respond to your post because it didn't make sense to me - but it does now :oops:

And no, my post had nothing to do with you or your dogs.
Slistoe, no sweat and thanks for clarifying. Man code says not to judge another man's dogs and I just didn't understand the comments. My apologizes to the OP for highjacking the thread a bit.
I was simply making an observation about those who would like to hold their dogs as being "superior" in the field because they have not trained them.

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:37 pm

To me a Meat Dog is a really good bird dog as far as finding birds and having ability but might not have alot of flash or style.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Francois P vd Walt wrote:
Johng918 wrote:What do you consider a meat dog? I have 3 GSP's 2 of them are trained to a MH level the other is only 5 weeks but will be held to the same standard and they all have very good trial pedigrees are they meat dogs because I only hunt them?

Just Wondering if it's slang for a hunting dog or a training thing because I see a lot of bird finding machines That are only trained steady to wing because that's what most hunters want.
Who the heck cares to what level your dog is trained !
If he finds birds presents them to the gun and retrieves them good enough to meet your standard, what more do you need.
Trialing has many faces ...... Pro trainers and handlers, not wrong but they expect more on a different level, if that makes your chimney smoke, great !

We must all remember to enjoy what we doing and let others enjoy their dogs at their level.
David I wasn't referring to you.... This is what I was referring to with my comment. I was just two minutes slower at responding and it didn't pop up with your post when I submitted it.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:30 pm

slistoe wrote:
TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:Am I reading the last three posts wrong or am I getting bagged on for poking fun at my buddies who don't own dogs. Please explain?
I didn't respond to your post because it didn't make sense to me - but it does now :oops:

And no, my post had nothing to do with you or your dogs.
Ok now I am lost to :roll:

I thought all the guys on the forum had a dog ! :) :wink:

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:21 am

ultracarry wrote:
Francois P vd Walt wrote:
Johng918 wrote:What do you consider a meat dog? I have 3 GSP's 2 of them are trained to a MH level the other is only 5 weeks but will be held to the same standard and they all have very good trial pedigrees are they meat dogs because I only hunt them?

Just Wondering if it's slang for a hunting dog or a training thing because I see a lot of bird finding machines That are only trained steady to wing because that's what most hunters want.
Who the heck cares to what level your dog is trained !
If he finds birds presents them to the gun and retrieves them good enough to meet your standard, what more do you need.
Trialing has many faces ...... Pro trainers and handlers, not wrong but they expect more on a different level, if that makes your chimney smoke, great !

We must all remember to enjoy what we doing and let others enjoy their dogs at their level.
David I wasn't referring to you.... This is what I was referring to with my comment. I was just two minutes slower at responding and it didn't pop up with your post when I submitted it.
Thanks Ultra. I forget sometimes these types of "conversations" don't exactly follow chronologically!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:40 am

I also want to apologize for making assumptions. :oops:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:25 pm

When I here the term "meat dog" I picture a dog without style or class that has flaws that would prevent them from competing in birddog competitions but has no problem finding and pointing birds.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Ron R wrote:When I here the term "meat dog" I picture a dog without style or class that has flaws that would prevent them from competing in birddog competitions but has no problem finding and pointing birds.
My impression too.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:04 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Ron R wrote:When I here the term "meat dog" I picture a dog without style or class that has flaws that would prevent them from competing in birddog competitions but has no problem finding and pointing birds.
My impression too.

Ezzy
Yunz are right, Style and class has nothing to do with a 'Meat dog'...I agree to Ft dogs can make great hunting dogs...I have all of these dogs.

Temperament – Courage – Hardness – Sharpness and Instinctive Drive, all dogs have these characteristics to some degree but not all FT/ Hunting dogs make good Meat dogs....IMO MEAT Dog should have high levels of these characters

I have seen Ft dogs that can't handle a cripple birds....Ft champions with hardly any sharpness or courage...Ect....Hunting dogs that will not grab fur/birds ..Ect.
Show Pointers that don't point :roll:

I trial,test and hunt....thier is a difference in a Meat dogs - Hunting Dogs - Field trial dogs - Show dogs and Dogs just breed for events.

Wouldn't you say that this is being bred out in some events/games that we play????

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:22 am

I use the term "Meat Dof" to describe a hunting dog that does not trial or test much- not a bashing term just a casual reference- all of us do not necessarily want our dogs for anythng beyond being companions and hunting- me i used to test and still use my labs for test dogs at local tests.