Birddog Festival.

Stoneface

Birddog Festival.

Post by Stoneface » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:54 pm

A group of guys and and I are going to be hosting an event for birddogs next spring or fall. It will be at historic, 1,200 acre Milky Way Farms in Pulaski, Tennessee. The farm was founded by the Mars family, the same family that owned the candy company. It is still in the infant stages of development, but we have the farm reserved (date to be set) and will probably be a Friday-Saturday-Sunday event.

The event will emphasise birddogs/hunting dogs, not so much trial dogs. There have been some pretty renowned trainers who have either expressed definite interest in coming out or have committed to it. Some of the events that are being considered are a "birddog olympics," "Purdiest Birddog Show," equipment auction, unsanctioned fun trial, clays, a ton of good food, clinics/demonstrations, professional trainer consulting, birds for sale and grounds to train on, some youth events with the possibility of scholarship awards and we've been in contact with several very known television personalities who may shoot an episode of the event. The proceeds will go toward birddog rescue efforts and rescues are being invited to bring dogs and setup adoption booths so folks can hook up with their newest addition to the family while they're there. Admissions isn't set by any means, but we're thinking about $30 per person with family and/or group discounts.

If anyone has any questions, ideas, comments, suggestions or if you could just post whether or not you'd be interested in coming, that would be great and much appreciated.

If you'd like to be added to the mailing list, you can eMail a request here: Jd@cheaplaundryequipment.com.
Last edited by Stoneface on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

SpinoneIllinois

Re: Birddog Festival.

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:02 pm

I'd go. Sounds fun.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 pm

I like the idea!! And would give it serious consideration.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

frosso

Post by frosso » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Saw this on FB Bird dogs and fly fishing page and it looks great. Count us in for the "Purdiest Bird Dog" contest. I think Izzy can win "Nuttiest Bird Dog" too.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Can we be put on a mailing list for information?

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:30 pm

I don't have anything like that set up right now. We wanted to make sure we could get some known names and a quality hosting grounds under our belt before we really got into a mailing list or anything. As a matter of fact I'm working on a website for it right now and we just set up a Facebook page a couple hours ago. If you can join the Facebook page you'll be kept up to day and I'll post here when we have a mailing list in order. If you want to PM me your eMail I'll add you to it when we get it going.

Here's the Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119589704848973/
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:09 am

That sounds cool, hopefully you can Get Ferrel Miller there! I would make the 1400 mile one way trek Again.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:56 am

Is the name you have on your group page going to be the name for the actual event or is that a just for now name?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:42 am

ACooper wrote:Is the name you have on your group page going to be the name for the actual event or is that a just for now name?
Classy, huh? Did you not get the memo that this is about rescue dogs and high dollar fiels trial interests are not the focus? :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:42 am

Deleted double.
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:28 am

I would look into going for sure. Wonder how many dog food company reps and such you could draw into a event like this?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

I know some people at Loyall and might be able to help get them there.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:51 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
ACooper wrote:Is the name you have on your group page going to be the name for the actual event or is that a just for now name?
Classy, huh? Did you not get the memo that this is about rescue dogs and high dollar fiels trial interests are not the focus? :)
I am NOT by any means trying to be overly critical but a different name could attract more clientele and sponsors.
Last edited by ACooper on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 am

ACooper wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
I am * by any means trying to be overly critical but a different name could attract more clientele and sponsors.
Mr. Freud, your slip is showing. :)

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:09 am

Personally, I like the grassroots festival idea. There seem to be events targeted at the competitive venues but not much focusing on hunting dogs and novice bird dog enthusiasts. You might think twice about allowing the HSUS, SPCA, and certain other animal rescue groups who are catching bad publicity to participate. Just a thought. Good luck.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:56 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
ACooper wrote: I am * by any means trying to be overly critical but a different name could attract more clientele and sponsors.
Mr. Freud, your slip is showing. :)
:lol: OOPS

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 am

No, I would have no interest and would not touch Facebook with a 10 foot hickory stob...... but, I wish all well.
Good to think out of the box at times.
But, limiting emphasis is indeed limiting.

If, there is a drive toward the proceeds helping rescued dogs, then I would suggest that part be extremely well thought-out, detailed and explained to those attending.
Trail of funds into pockets can be a killer....as can booth adoptions for the wrong reasons.
Personally, I would consider that idea more as the event finds success and support.
Big steps and little 'uns as James Herriot wrote.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:11 am

You do know whats in the "Birddog" museum right :lol: and its called the National Championship for field trialing "Birddogs".......

Why in the heck would you exclude trialers?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:20 am

birddog1968 wrote:You do know whats in the "Birddog" museum right :lol: and its called the National Championship for field trialing "Birddogs".......

Why in the heck would you exclude trialers?
Rescue folk don't like the field trial community, particularly the horseback pointer crowd.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:39 am

Stoneface wrote: Admissions isn't set by any means, but we're thinking about $30 per person with family and/or group discounts.
Your admission price is way to high. We have an extremely successful hunt dog show in MN, 6 seminar booths running all day long with thousands of people attending, admission is around $10. I would guarantee that if someone started an upstart event here and priced their tickets over $15 it would be a bust. Get the people in, make your money on concessions and booths that's my advice. The MN one started as a gundog event and quickly expanded into all aspect of hunting, it might be worth looking at, here's there seminar list from last year. http://www.gamefair.com/seminarschedule.html

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:56 am

Just spoke with another coordinator and he said he's going to start a mailing list. If anyone on here wants to get on the list you can drop him a line.

Jd@cheaplaundryequipment.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks for all the input and advice. Tonight JD and I are going to talk and hash some things out.

Just to be clear the name is not set in stone, nothing is. The thought for the bargain-bin birddogs is because the event would ultimately be two fold; have a fricken blast with birddogs and benefit birddog rescues (don't worry, we're not inviting HSUS, PETA or anything like that). The admissions price isn't set either, it was something someone tossed out there.

Something real important to note is that we're not excluding trialers and trial dogs, we're just emphasising hunting dogs, meat dogs. Another name we've thought of is "Blue Collar Birddog Festival" to emphasize that. Everyone is invited... even dog show folks. But, with all that extra land we've considered talking to local NSTRA chapters about holding a trial on the grounds at the same time as the event. The participants at both events would probably enjoy mingling at the other and I imagine some of the attendees at the festival would have had some interest in trialing, but just don't know much about it. They could mosie on over to the trial and ride with a judge for a brace or two.

The dates we're kicking around are March 8-10 or 15-17.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:27 pm

sounds interesting. Ive driven further for less.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:41 pm

Good to hear, as alienating anyone serves no purpose.....Least not a purpose that benefits dog owners.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm with you, birddog. It wouldn't only be non-beneficial, it would be counter-beneficial. I really would like to use this event as a medium to simulate interest in those that aren't involved with birddogs or are not VERY involved with birddogs.

On another, very positive note. I just spoke with Dez Young and he's going to be there with Dash. For those whose memories are a little fuzzy, Dez and Dash's sire, Hank, were the stars of the famous OLN show Hunting With Hank. I can't wait to meet him in person and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one!

www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------