Hybrid Dogs ?

collinedward

Hybrid Dogs ?

Post by collinedward » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 pm

I stumbled across a kennels website that sells so called hybrid dogs. The mix was lab and GSP but what shocked me was the price of $1000 to $2000 a puppy. I couldn't imagine paying that for basically a mutt. My buddy has a gsp/lab that was a accident breeding that was given to him and the dog has turned out to be great.

Stoneface

Re: Hybrid Dogs ?

Post by Stoneface » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:18 pm

It sounds like you're talking about Traveldal (Spelling?). They're bred by the owners of Pheasant City lodge in SD. I was looking at a dog from them, but never went through with it. They are really wonderful people, though. I've ran across one or two people who had their dogs and never heard anything bad about them. Never.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Yes. I get it and the dogs sound great but the prices are crazy.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:22 am

Pricing is funny. Price something reasonable and buyers assume something is wrong with it. Price the same thing crazy and people jump all over it. I don't know if its so they can brag about how much it cost?
Since they paid more maybe they think they are getting more? Human nature?

I think its supitity and ignorance. but just my opinion.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:59 am

Lots of folks willing to drink the kool-aid, and overlook tons of issues due to the price paid. I will never agree with intentionally breeding mutts.

Similar with folks who think labradoodles don't shed.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:14 am

The sales pitch going around here is that the first generation labradoodle sheds a little, but if you go with a second generation, for a substantially higher price, it won't shed at all. :roll:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:20 am

Greg Jennings wrote:The sales pitch going around here is that the first generation labradoodle sheds a little, but if you go with a second generation, for a substantially higher price, it won't shed at all. :roll:
You should meed Rudy, my client, who is an F3 Labradoodle. The F3 applies more to the tornadic stream of hair he leaves behind than to his pedigree.

I think the original dogs in question are Wesslpointers.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:25 am

It's a pet peeve of mine when folks call these mixed breeds "hybrids." A hybrid is an animal like a mule - offspring of the pairing of different species. So a dog can't make a hybrid with another dog. Just a mutt. That said, I love mutts, but would never purposefully support someone who raises them. It's hard for me to consider someone who can't show or trial a dog (because it's a mutt) a reputable breeder - to what "standard" are they comparing their animals? In what venues are they testing the animals to improve the function (showing, field trials, agility, obedience, etc.)?

People will buy anything "shiny and new" with a great sales pitch. Just look at the folks buying "quail in a boxes" systems - they don't have to do any habitat work, weather doesn't matter, predators are "outfoxed" by these deals - just grow some quail chicks in a box (ohh, that would be genetically inferior quail chicks) and they'll come out just like wild birds. People will fall for anything.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 am

Lab/GSP mixes show up in the newspaper for free or at the pound and rescue for the cost of vet expenses. Too many people believe if it comes from a "breeder" it must be good.

I know several that have Labradoodles and Goldendoodles, all of them shed and have health issues. My BIL paid a pretty hefty price for a "second generation" Labradoodle, it is dumb as a box of rocks, sheds, has skin issues, digestive problems, and bad hips....

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:27 am

Thread on VersatileDogs on Wessel Pointers. http://www.versatiledogs.com/forum/view ... 66&start=0 .

As an aside, we had a lady join up a couple of years ago that was doing someething similar. Might have been a labradoodle x GSP cross. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Greg J.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:32 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Thread on VersatileDogs on Wessel Pointers. http://www.versatiledogs.com/forum/view ... 66&start=0 .

As an aside, we had a lady join up a couple of years ago that was doing someething similar. Might have been a labradoodle x GSP cross. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Greg J.
I believe it was a Kurzhaardoodle. GPS x poodle. May be best to leave that one buried.

There is a trend for designer patterns in standard poodles right now that focuses on white based dogs with solid black or chocolate heads and large body patches. If you look at them closely, particularly the heads, you can see the wirehair and shorthair characteristics. Not a good thing.

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 am

Call me a traditionalist, but I think it's an abomination! But then again, how did our beloved favorite breeds come about?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Mutts is mutts

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:09 am

Hey -

First off I agree that that is NOT a hybrid. It is a mutt.

If someone wants to hunt with a mutt or have a mutt as a pet, that is their choice. My first bird dog was a dropper nd he was as good a dog as you could want. He was free.

If someone is dopey enough or gullible enough to actually pay someone real money for the same kind of dog you can get for free from a shelter...that is up to them also.

What did P. T. Barnum say???

RayG

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Mutts is mutts

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:12 am

RayGubernat wrote:Hey -

First off I agree that that is NOT a hybrid. It is a mutt.

If someone wants to hunt with a mutt or have a mutt as a pet, that is their choice. My first bird dog was a dropper nd he was as good a dog as you could want. He was free.

If someone is dopey enough or gullible enough to actually pay someone real money for the same kind of dog you can get for free from a shelter...that is up to them also.

What did P. T. Barnum say???

RayG
No one knows...... :mrgreen:
When Barnum's biographer tried to track down when Barnum had uttered this phrase, all of Barnum's friends and acquaintances told him it was out of character. Barnum's credo was more along the lines of "there's a customer born every minute" — he wanted to find ways to draw new customers in all the time because competition was fierce and people could become bored easily.[citation needed]

photo of P T Barnum by Charles Eisenmann
Some sources claim the quote is most likely from famous con-man Joseph ("Paper Collar Joe") Bessimer,and other sources say it was actually uttered by David Hannum, spoken in reference to Barnum's part in the Cardiff Giant hoax. Hannum, who was exhibiting the "original" giant and had unsuccessfully sued Barnum for exhibiting a copy and claiming it was the original, was referring to the crowds continuing to pay to see Barnum's exhibit even after both it and the original had been proven to be fakes.

In turn, Barnum's fellow circus owner and arch-rival Adam Forepaugh attributed the quote to Barnum in a newspaper interview in an attempt to discredit him. However, Barnum never denied making the quote. It is said that he thanked Forepaugh for the free publicity he had given him.

Another source credits late 1860s Chicago "bounty broker, saloon and gambling-house keeper, eminent politician, and dispenser of cheating privileges..." Michael Cassius McDonald as the originator of the aphorism. According to the book Gem of the Prairie: Chicago Underworld (1940) by Herbert Asbury, when McDonald was equipping his gambling house known as The Store (at Clark and Monroe Streets in Chicago) his partner Harry Lawrence expressed concern over the large number of roulette wheels and faro tables being installed and their ability to get enough players to play the games. McDonald then allegedly said, "Don't worry about that, there's a sucker born every minute."

The phrase is the title of the opening song in the Broadway musical Barnum, about P.T. Barnum's life.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:42 pm

What would you get out of crossing the two? If you look hard there many GSP lines that are good natural retreives i no not all but there is alot. The only tadvantage i see could be a heavier coat maybe? Kinda crazy and over priced

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Though I despise intentional crossbreeding there was a fellow from north central OK that played in the run and gun QU trials with a gsp x lab I believe the dog's name was Raven. He kicked a lot tail with that dog. As far as I know it was not from an intentional crossbreeding.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Kind of crazy how some folks think, that if you breed 2 different breeds of dogs you will get the best traits from both. Like others on here though, in my youth I had a couple of good drops, that I hunted. They were free and I got to hunt practically every day.

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:30 am

I have no problem with people breeding GSP and labs but the price is way too extreme. I could see $300 to $500 if the dogs are proven and had some type of hunting guarantee.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:15 pm

collinedward wrote:I have no problem with people breeding GSP and labs but the price is way too extreme. I could see $300 to $500 if the dogs are proven and had some type of hunting guarantee.

I have four pups four days old, accidental breeding. LAB + Gsp Parents are proven and then some. I can shoot birds over both in person to prove it to anyone. They have both been our hunting dogs for over 8 years now and have been out hunting with us hundreds of times. 300$ would work. and i always have and will continue to refund purchase price for any reason for the first year. This is not and won't be a repeat breeding. Call or text 505-319-sixty three eighty two and i can email or text pics.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:48 pm

I had a long post but I am going to delete it and stay out of this :evil: I have too much else going on right now.

Accidents happen and responsible breeders still sometimes have them. I would also expect them to take the hit on cost, stand behind them and be available to owners for assistance always, and require spay nueter on the puppies, as well as follow up on homes as they would with their prized purebred puppies. If I ever, God forbid, have an accident litter you guys can hold me to the same.