GSP Deer Hunting?

trigger1989

GSP Deer Hunting?

Post by trigger1989 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:06 pm

i live here in arizona, me and my buddys are hoping to get drawn for deer this season. i have a 18 month old gsp and if/when we get drawn he will be 21 months. hes wanting to take the little guy incase we shoot a deer and cant find him the pup can help out. its illegal to use dogs in az in pursuit of deer but to track already killed deer is legal (so he says). i guess the plan would be to leave the pup at camp during the day either kenneled or on a chain. my only concern is hes gonna be crying a lot due to being in a new area alone without me ( due to previous occasions i know hes gonna be crying). my questions are do any of you guys take your bird dogs deer hunting in this fashion? if so, what could i do at home to make it to where its a good chance he wont be yelping the whole day at camp when we go hunting? any input or thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Deer Hunting?

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:19 pm

trigger1989 wrote:... my questions are do any of you guys take your bird dogs deer hunting in this fashion? ...
No, I do not and would never do it.

It is often done tho with mature and blood-trained dogs, speaking to the wounded deer issue, and I believe in most areas the dog needs to be on a lead while trailing.
Actually, dauschaunds are often used.
There are several websites specific to this and Google may be able to help you.

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Crate Training.....

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:32 pm

I take my Vizsla every year to Wyoming for a combo mule deer/bird hunt. She stays in her crate in the morning while I deer hunt, then I'll take her bird hunting during the early afternoon. She then stays in her crate while I deer hunt during the evening. I always hope to fill my deer tag the first morning so we can bird hunt all day the rest of the trip! Like seacowboy mentioned, crate training is a must. There is always a chance something could happen while the dog is tied out; they are pretty safe in a crate. Just make sure they are in the shade with plenty of ventilation if it's hot, or a blanket covering the crate if it's cold. As far as the blood tracking goes, your dog probably won't accomplish much unless they are specifically trained for it. If you plan on making them primarily a bird dog, then the blood training shouldn't start until they are proficient at bird finding, pointing, steadiness, etc.

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:50 pm

He's create trained but I still think he will cry due to not being mature. I'm thinking he's gonna have to stay at home for any other hunting besides birds till he's fully trained and more mature. I was kinda thinking that to begin with I just wanted to hear some input, thanks a lot!

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:15 pm

If he's crate trained then there shouldn't be that much of an issue. If your staying in a house/cabin whatever then just place the crate inside, if only taking your truck or whatever place the crate in there. There is a ton of time in between now and deer season to work on this, at night or during the day place a blanket or light sheet over crate and he won't know where he's at anyways, he may whine but he will calm down and get use to it just as he did as a pup. If he is still not acting right try a radio with your choice of music or talk radio.

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:05 pm

I would bring him! My GSP isn't formally trained to trail deer but I do bring him to every deer we shoot to let him find them even when we know where they are down. I don't think this will ruin them on birds. I have been doing this since before my dog was steady on birds.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:05 pm

If properly exposed to bird hunting and blood tracking, there is no harm done. My dogs will stop to "flush" when a deer bolts from the cover. They are trained not to chase and the just go on looking for birds. My all time favorite upland dog is a great tracker and she has recovered a few deer over the years....wish we had more opportunity. Using the collar to prevent deer chasing will not prevent a dog from tracking blood when trained and given the opportunity. Lots of dogs in Europe are doing this all the time.

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Never thought to put a blanket over his kennel. I just know when he stayed with my mom a night he stayed in his kennel at night and howled like crazy so she says. Maybe I'll work on it some and see what happens. I'll definitely have to double check the blood tracking laws with dogs here because the game and fish rule book just says pursuit with dogs isn't legal

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Trigger - I had previously found this link: http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/inde ... &Itemid=10

This was the only statement I could find in the regs: (It is illegal to:)... 6. Take big game, except bear or mountain lion, with the aid of dogs.

I'd call Game and Fish if I was you ...better safe than sorry. Let us know what you find, will you?

I have a feeling that they disallow using the dog to bloodtrail because you can't know whether the deer at the end of the trail is still alive, or is dead. I hope you can use the dog...I have visions of using mine too someday for blood trailing and shed hunting.
Last edited by AzDoggin on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:14 am

Was hunting elk in flagstaff 2009.... Some guy left his dog in a crate while he was hunting. He didn't put out the fire enough and it was just about to burn his dog crate when I put it out. I went to move the crate and noticed the dog.

What unit did you put in for?

Here are some deer pics from 08, 09.... I'll let you guess the unit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:32 am

After seeing them horns it makes me want to deer hunt again ! :) I gave up deer hunting almost completly to bird hunt ! :)

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:03 am

That is the grandaddy of mulies right there, Ultra. I read in the other section that you got him (and others) not far from Phx. You are a helluva hunter to accomplish that. Open country mulies require major patience on the stalk. Not many typical bowhunters can do it.

I was behind a 4wd Toyota with "2Coues"as the license plate, and a Hoyt sticker on the back window yesterday. Got me fired up to get the bow out again!!

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:04 pm

I dont take any of my dogs with when deer hunting unless we are going to shoot birds during the day. Ultra I give what unit is that :?: