Two differant breeds?

Onk

Two differant breeds?

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:48 pm

How many of you own and hunt two differant breeds of dogs? I am so crazy about my dog now I don't think I could add a differant breed. I'm sure there are pro's but are there any cons?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

orbirdhunter

Re: Two differant breeds?

Post by orbirdhunter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:14 pm

I have 3 different breeds....Brittany, Shorthair and Drahthaar....Britt from Field Trial lines, shorthair from Navdha lines and Drahthaar is of course German........I am one of few people on here that can at least semi objectively talk FT vs Hunt Test vs German system blah blah blah.....

I just love bird dogs, i love them all, i wouldn't be suprised if my next one is another different breed.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Have always had a DD or GWP but have had Labs and a Setter as well.....now just DD.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Charlie (birddogger) and I have a good time hunting behind his GSP's and my pointers.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:35 pm

I kind of like Setters :D

The type of hunting you do and like has a bearing on what breed of dog likely floats your boat the best.
For more open country quail, pheasant and PC hunting, Setters are a very good fit. Pointers as well, but I like the look of a setter more.
Steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:50 pm

I've had setters, GSP, Jack Russell terriers and beagles. No regrets.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:57 pm

I have 1 vizsla and 2 shorthairs all great dogs, oh and my wife has a yorkie that thinks hes a bird dog and chases birds and retrieves dummies from the water.

Deuce

Two differant breeds?

Post by Deuce » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:57 am

I have two GSPs and a DD... The DD is my only hunting dog, fiancé corrupted the GSPs into house pets well before we met... Next one will be a GSP or DK, deal from here on out is one scruffy one smooth as long as they both hunt... Only con one could argue would be the Draht wouldn't handle the heat as well and the gsp/DK wouldn't handle the cold as well... But having the ability to do both could certainly be a pro too

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:04 am

I once had a pointer that thought it was a spaniel... does that count?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:05 am

I hunt Brittanies and GSP's
Work well together, Do similar things in a little different way.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Onk wrote:How many of you own and hunt two differant breeds of dogs? I am so crazy about my dog now I don't think I could add a differant breed. I'm sure there are pro's but are there any cons?

Putting aside many years of non-hunting dogs, I had two very fine Gordon Setters followed by two very fine GWPs.

The tendency is to confuse the dog with the breed. The differences between individual dogs within the same breed based on the type of breeding and the the individual are so significant that they transcend breed, putting aside physical characteristics.

If you got a different breed, onk, presuming it was a good example of its breed and you did right by it, you would come to love it just as much. There are no "cons" to a good dog (other than lifespan) regardless of breed, if it's selected appropriately for what you want to do.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Our hunting party has owned different breeds that we've hunted together with considerable success. However we'll only hunt very well trained flushers that can be called off to avoid busting a pointing dog's point. If I was going to own & hunt two different breeds at the same time I 'd own German Shorthaired Pointers with Deutsch Kurzhaars or German Wirehaired Pointers with Deutsch Drahthaars. With the right dogs it could be the best of both worlds. With the wrong individuals it could be the worst of both worlds. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:04 pm

BigShooter wrote:. If I was going to own & hunt two different breeds at the same time I 'd own German Shorthaired Pointers with Deutsch Kurzhaars or German Wirehaired Pointers with Deutsch Drahthaars. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have a keen sense of humor, shooter.