fence height

RYNO

fence height

Post by RYNO » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Later this summer I'm hopefully getting a setter (IRWS), pups should be born soon. :D Before I do I will be putting up a 6' privacy fence around part of my yard with the remaining fence being chain link. I'm wondering how high to go with the chain link. I had a britt before but she never tried to escape the small fenced area I currently have. Would 4' be adequate or should I go higher. I really don't want to go to a 6' chain link if I don't need to. I can't say that any of my previous dogs have tried to escape over the fence so maybe the setter won't either??? The dog will be a house dog.
Last edited by RYNO on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deke

Re: fence height

Post by deke » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:30 pm

I have a 4 foot fence and once the pup was six months we ran a hotwire around the fence about a foot off the ground, after a while you just shut it off.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 pm

thats a good idea

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I have had some dogs that would never try to go over a 4' fence , but they could have. I have had others that would go over a 4' fence with no effort. If I were going to rely on only the fence I would make it 6' .

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:28 pm

I have had dogs that wouldnt challenge a 2ft picket fence, and have had dogs that the great wall of china couldnt keep in, it all depends on the dog, how they are introduced to the fence and whats on the other side...... I would say a dog properly exercised and who is tought why the fence is there should be fine with a 4ft fence.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:28 pm

I thought that it was worth the money to put up a 6' wood fence (and replacing posts as needed for upkeep). Also digging a trench aound the inner fence, laying in chicken wire and then covering up the trench with dirt. At times, I'll admit I've had more dogs than was legal, so the wood fence was a big positive. Moreover, if dogs can't see the other side, they won't be motivated to go over a fence.

A lost or escaped dog is a terrible experince. Over-engineering to improve my odds seems like a wise investment.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 pm

deke wrote:I have a 4 foot fence and once the pup was six months we ran a hotwire around the fence about a foot off the ground, after a while you just shut it off.
This is great advice...it will teach them early on to never challenge a fence. I typically run two wires about a foot apart in the pen....never had a dog escape. It also pays to train them to stay on your property when outside the fence. I live on 7 acres and mine are trained to stay within the boundary (no fence on property lines). Accidentally left them out for about 5 hours one afternoon/evening when we went to town. One had gone back in the house through the doggie door, the other was sitting in his favorite rabbit ambush spot.

DougB

Post by DougB » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:59 pm

I had a yellow Lab that would climb chain link like a squirrel. 6ft fence didn't even slow him down, especially when the neighbors female was in heat. Had to put a top cover on the kennel.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:19 pm

After getting my first hunting dog, bonding with it, working with it, training, spending money on it, hunting with it, I will not allow her in the yard left to her on devices. I will open the back door in the morning and let her do her thing, she will come in and eat... When I leave she is in the kennel and when I come home she is in the house or playing with ME in the yard. Too many things can happen.

Put the wood fence in the back, build a nice kennel, add a dog house, and enjoy your puppy.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:22 am

Im telling you the wire works, you might have to bait the poor little guy into touching the wire but after that he will remember for the rest of his life what happened. My yellow lab in my avatar use to live at my parents house on five acres and all they did was run a single wire around their property, that dog will not go within two feet of a fence. pheasant hunting you physically have to pick him up if you run into a fence, but i would much rather pick up a dog then have him run into the road or away.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:57 pm

I have 2.5 acres fenced to keep not only my dogs in but...........others OUT!

Three sides are 1X2 inch 6 foot horse fencing and the third side is 6 foot wooden for privacy.

For twenty five years it has kept all our dogs and live stock in and all others out.

The smaller the containment area the higher it needs to be; such as some dogs can scale a 6 foot brick walled back yard!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:29 pm

4ft., 6ft., it doesn't matter, if the dog will escape over a fence, the height will make little difference. As the other poster said, a hot wire around the top of the fence will prevent/fix the problem. As somebody else mentioned though, you need to think about digging under the fence. After saying all that, I agree with Ultra, that the best is to kennel the dog when not being supervised.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Just curious, is your new puppy a male or a female and are you planning on having it altered? I ask because if it's a female and you would like to keep her intact you need to consider not only her getting out but other dogs trying to get in if she's in season.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm getting a female that will remain intact. The britt I had was fixed but still drew about any stray/loose dog in the neighborhood to my yard, I chased many off. Never had one get in the current fenced area but I'm sure with a bit more insentive they could get in...

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:06 pm

I had a springer that was a climbing demon. at 10 weeks she went over the 6' kennel twice in 3 days. She would constantly climb my woodpile and if she had sharp enough claws probably would have climbed trees. You just never know.........

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 am

HA! Look at this little devil. Seems you could keep that girl anywhere she wanted to be and that's about it. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoJ4Qd_yJVU
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'