scent

molonlave1

scent

Post by molonlave1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:07 pm

what/which factors play a role when our dogs battle to pick up scent or point game,any knowledgable info on this topic or has there been any proof or studies done on this topic.Sure we have all experienced/seen it.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: scent

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Wind, humidity, dog health, length of time a bird has been in a location, cover, ground, dog/human traffic in an area and, perhaps even bird specie or Preserve connection....that's a start.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:30 pm

We know that humidity, temperature, wind direction and speed, and age of the scent all play a part. Don't know how much any of them really effect the dog but I think these are the main factors.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:36 pm

My goodness with all those factors it's amazing the dog ever finds a bird. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:46 pm

This will sound strange but. Before you train pick up some smoke bombs. Go to were you'll be training. Light one and set it on something that won't catch fire and burn your training field down. You'll have a better idea of how the wind and humidity affects bird sent on that particular day. Things really do change from day to day and it's not always your fault or the dogs.

Fester

Post by Fester » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:12 pm

some days dogs smell birds better than other days, even if conditions seem the same to us, been trying to figure it out for years
Fester

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:39 pm

There are certainly times its tough on the dog, the ones you almost never have to think of an excuse for are what I'm after......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:03 pm

I read a study a few months ago that also stated that the age of the bird played a role as well as the species of bird. I believe it was from Texas A&M if I remember correctly but it may have been the University of Georgia and they stated that younger birds and chicks gave off less scent than adult birds as some sort of protective trait and that blue or scaled quail gave off less scent than any other upland species of bird. I have also read that scent is harder to pick up the more green vegetation you have present as compared to brown and dry grasses and native cover. I am sure wind, heat, humidity, moisture in the ground, how hard the dog has been running causing them to mouth breath rather than breathing through their noses, etc. all play a key as well.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Mike50 wrote:This will sound strange but. Before you train pick up some smoke bombs. Go to were you'll be training. Light one and set it on something that won't catch fire and burn your training field down. You'll have a better idea of how the wind and humidity affects bird sent on that particular day. Things really do change from day to day and it's not always your fault or the dogs.

Did you say , "Burn your training field down?" Tiger just throws up a bit of grass. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett