Where do your dogs sleep?

cptn

Post by cptn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:39 am

My Brittany July has developed into an excellent puppy. He went from hating basically everything as I mentioned in a previous thread to becoming very social, sweet, and a happy pup. I'm so glad. Now we're inseparable.

...Maybe too inseparable. He did not cry at all and took to his crate well when we brought him home because he wanted nothing to do with anyone. I'd get up twice during the night to allow him to eliminate, and he would go right back to sleep. During that time, I was with him a lot because I was basically trying to get him to like me. I was worried we would never bond. Now, he loves me, but he has to know where I am. We'd take naps together on the couch, and then I would crate him when we woke up to get some things done around the house. The naps contributed to the problem, I think.

Recently, at 13 weeks old, he's been acting upset around bedtime when he knows that I get to sleep in my bed with my other dog while he is in the crate. Nothing's changed, and it's so sudden. When I turn out the light, flick on his night light, and settle in, he begins to bellow, whine, and bark. I tried the ignore it until it vanishes technique for a few nights, but the we all have to get up in the morning and work. And we live very close to our neighbors. He would eventually give up and fall asleep, but at 3AM, he would wake, notice his dilemma and scream his head off. I actually got a complaint from an angry neighbor, so the ignore it technique can't happen.

Then, my roommate was like, "just put him in bed with you." I retaliated with all of this nonsense about how it could create problems in the future, how I want to be the alpha, and such I read on the internet. And she asked me to explain the issues it could cause, and I didn't really have an answer.

I wanted to wait until he was around 8 to 10 months before I'd let him in my bed so that the rules of the house and his status are firmly established. Then, I wondered, is that really necessary? In order to keep him quiet, I've been waiting until a pause in his screaming at 2 in the morning to pet him and get him to go back to sleep. It's the only way I can keep him quiet without getting the neighbor's angry and trying to get a third party involved.

So, where do your dogs sleep? If they sleep in your bed, when did you start letting them in your bed, and if you did when they were puppies, has it caused any problems? Should I just let him in my bed? What would you do? I can't imagine when my dog would ever need to not sleep in my bed. He's with me for life.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

jcbuttry8

Re: Where do your dogs sleep?

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 am

I have three. One sleeps in a crate and the other two sleep on dog beds. Absolutely no dog sleeps with me. I have a wife that eats up most of the bed, and I will not share anymore room with a dog. They are dogs not kids, not a wife. They need to know there place.

M2C,

Joe

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 am

I can feel you on the roommate front. When I bought my pup one of their demands was that the pup sleeps in my bedroom. They didn't want to deal with him whining and crying all night. Does the pup sleep in the crate in your room? If not I'd try that. If it's already sleeping in your room. Sleep on the floor with your head right at the crate door for one night. Then sleep in your bed so your head is closest to the crate. Then you can sleep normally in bed. That's how I got my pup comfortable sleeping in the crate. Only took one night on the floor and one night sleeping backwards and he was fine.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:30 am

jcbuttry8 wrote:I have three. One sleeps in a crate and the other two sleep on dog beds. Absolutely no dog sleeps with me. I have a wife that eats up most of the bed, and I will not share anymore room with a dog. They are dogs not kids, not a wife. They need to know there place.

M2C,

Joe
Exactly. Well said.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 am

Slim (who I'm looking after) sleeps right up against my side, Moxy sleeps on top of me and Cinna sleeps at my head.

I'd consider putting his crate on a little stand next to the bed. I mean RIGHT next to the bed. Do this until he's quiet for awhile then slowly start moving him away. I rescued a Setter once and he refused to be house trained and refused to be quiet. So, I just found an old night stand, put his crate on it and put it right next to the bed. The first couple nights I even had to put my fingers in the door. If he did get all excited I could just reach over, open the crate and let him know that wasn't okay. To be honest, it didn't bother me having him right there so I left him, but if I would have wanted the crate in a designated area I would have just slowly moved the crate a little farther away every night until he was in his spot.
Last edited by Stoneface on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:01 am

cptn wrote: So, where do your dogs sleep? If they sleep in your bed, when did you start letting them in your bed, and if you did when they were puppies, has it caused any problems? Should I just let him in my bed? What would you do? I can't imagine when my dog would ever need to not sleep in my bed. He's with me for life.
My two shorthairs do sleep on the bed. Both started in a crate in the bedroom, until they were somewhere around 8 months old. Then I started letting them in bed for just an hour or two, after their 4-5 AM potty break. But not because of whining about separation, and not all the time. One is now 3 and the other 5. The crate is still left up in the bedroom and both will kennel in it on command and have no trouble sleeping in it, while I'm gone, have company, etc. Sometimes even when I'm home, I'll find one snoozing in the crate, since I leave the door open.

I would not let a young pup in my bed, without having properly crate trained them first, to be quiet and independant to separation. Much like you said, "so that the rules of the house and his status are firmly established." Letting the pup in the bed without learning coping skills and manners may be setting it up to work you in other ways as well. You are definitely in a tight spot with neighbor complaints. I'm guessing the pups acting out on jealousy, so I would be putting the older dog on the floor as well, either with another crate or tie him to the pup's crate.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 am

1 sleeps my oldest daughter the other 2 with my youngest daughter inless my male sneak in my room. All 3 in somebodys bed

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:12 pm

In a dog house out in the kennel.

trasmuson

Post by trasmuson » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm going through the same thing right now, once she is in the kennel, without fail she screams barks howls, anything to make noise for about 30-45 minutes, than shell finally quiet down for about an hour than wake up and go through it all over again. So far I have just been playing the "ignore her" game and put her in the room furthest away from us, but after a week, there hasn't been any progress, in fact, last night I think she barked and whined more than any other night... I try not to let myself get discouraged and think she'll never get it, but it can be hard sometimes I'll admit..

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:44 pm

rinker wrote:In a dog house out in the kennel.
+1

Dogs, the associated messes, smells and the hair in the house is not something either of us want.

RayG

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm

In the mud/laundry room on a nylon Kuranda bed. Not allowed upstairs.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:06 pm

No dogs in the bed.

The only time I break the rule is when it is storming and the Vizsla freaks out. I then get more sleep with him in the bed than do I with him crying to get in our bed room.

Greg J.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm

We have 7. 6 sleep in crates. The old man (12 yrs old) has a twin bed in the dog room to sleep on. He DID sleep on my bed for years, but my husband didn't want to sleep with the dog...imagine that!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:39 pm

9 y/o GSP sleeps in the bed... 6 y/o GSP & 5mo DD in crates next to the bed

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:43 pm

Squirt and Bodie have slep in bed with me since the day I brought them home, they are 5 yrs now. Getting a Red Setter pup next spring, it'll be in bed too!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:10 pm

We have two GSP's and they both sleep in bed with us. Cleo is 2 1/2 and she slept in her crate till she was 7 months old and then ended up in our bed. The puppy who is 17 weeks old ended up in our bed at 12 weeks old. I don't mind that they are there at all.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 pm

Lucy sleeps in bed with me about once a week. Sometimes more, but usually less.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:48 pm

In the mud room on dog beds. They get a fair amount of interaction with the family there, and stay warm / cool depending on the season, but are never allowed any further in. Too much shedding to be in the house, much less our bed, as we'd have white pointer hair all over everything.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 pm

where ever I do.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:37 am

my dogs sleeps in bed with me and my dogs are my kid lol ;cc

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Crate in bedroom.

I love my dog, but theres no way i could get any sleep with that turd sprawled out on the bed.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Our dogs sleep any where they like. Even the 6 month old pup. Bull has such good manners he is never a problem.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:35 pm

ckirsch wrote:In the mud room on dog beds. They get a fair amount of interaction with the family there, and stay warm / cool depending on the season, but are never allowed any further in. Too much shedding to be in the house, much less our bed, as we'd have white pointer hair all over everything.

Thats why you get white sheets Craig :lol: Most of mine sleep littered around the bed like little vagrants, pep usually at my feet in the bed.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:14 pm

MIne have all been on the bed. They don't complain about me rolling around in the bed like my ex and I sleep better.........

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 pm

I would raise a rukus too if someone switched on a nite lite when I am ready for bed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:MIne have all been on the bed. They don't complain about me rolling around in the bed like my ex and I sleep better.........

LOL Well I have to recind what I said. My husband is away for 2 weeks, so all 3 are sleeping with me for security reasons. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

moomps

Post by moomps » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 am

My cocker sleeps with me in the bed. She was a kennel dog for the first two years of her life, but the rest will be spent with me. My wife moved into the other bedroom a few years ago due to "our" snoring so the dog and I share the be now.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:13 am

both my dogs have slept in their kennels every night since they have been home, the only exception to this rule is hunting trips they get to sleep where ever their heads land.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Wow I must be a hard azz. Put dog in crate. If they excessively whine you go correct. It sucks at first but repeat until they get it. A smart dog will get it. Don't make the visit pleasant when you go tell them quiet. Otherwie they think you are coming for fun and not correction.

It worked for all my dogs. They all sleep in crates. In their room. Not ours unless they are injured or I am drunk.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Curious

Post by Curious » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:05 pm

My dogs are part of the family but the only time they get up on the bed is when I'm watching TV. When it's time for bed then they get down so I can go to sleep. I would never get any sleep if they were sprawled out on the bed with me. When they were puppies they went to bed in a crate. Now I leave the crate door open and most of the time they go in their on their own and that's were I'll find them when I get up in the morning.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:16 am

I made a deal with my dogs a long time ago that I wouldn't sleep in their bed and eat their food if they showed me the same courtesy. They are In a crate until house broke and then to the kennel. I would say you people are crazy but my wife's rat "bleep" cat sleeps on the bed, but not very long if he comes over to my side.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:39 pm

I have kennel dogs and house dogs and they do both. My dogs I teach place so I can send them to their bed and leave and they will be their untill they are called off of it. My next house is going to have a Man room with tile floors and a door going to a airing yard and it will be for dogs and me and dead animals on the wall. A dog learns nothing in the kennel or crate pups need to be out and about but also crate trained. I have more dogs than the average person but I still make time for them to be part of the family my dogs client dogs and even my girlfriends rat dog. Sometimes the hardest thing for some folks that have dogs or want a dog is really if they have the time or space for a dog.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"