Roading dog with pedal bike

OhioVizsla

Roading dog with pedal bike

Post by OhioVizsla » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:57 pm

I just tried a "Walkydog" attachment for my bike to road my dog. It worked as promised, but I have some concerns. First of all I have a street bike, and I'm riding on concrete. My dog was a little tentative for the first 1/4 mile, but then got into "search" mode after he saw a few squirrels/rabbits. They would run, of course, & the dog tried to follow. I was able to control the dog, but he pulled as much as he could. When I got home & looked at his pads, they were smooth & one was about burned through. I've tried liquids "tougheners" in the past during hunting trips & they didn't do anything. Has anyone else roaded their dogs like this, & how did their dog's pads hold up? What about joint problems from running on concrete. It's got to be alot harder on a dog than through a field.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Roading dog with pedal bike

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:44 pm

I would NEVER road a dog on asphalt or concrete. Gravel only. You'll destroy his feet on pavement.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gtnbirdy

Post by gtnbirdy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Try the canal towpath, lightly graveled, weekdays not too busy, weekends pretty busy.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm

I did with a leash till he chased a rabbit in front of me ... stood the bike up on the front tire, balanced precariously for about 1/2 s, and then went over -- while my wife was screaming. That is hard on an old fat guy! Dog just kept looking at me "WHAT?" I now just use an e-collar on non-busy times.

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:45 pm

I use the same type of set up but I ride on the sidewalk the dog runs in the grass..

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:54 am

We run only on rural roads with the ability to run in the right of way along the road. This is easier on the feet and joints. I've trained my dogs to stay close with an e collar so I don't need a leash. This enables them to run free into fallow fields and take a swim in irrigation canals we cross. Sometimes I will put a roading harness on them and let them tow me on the bike with a short lead that I can drop if it looks like the dog may lead me into a crash.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 am

fishvik wrote:We run only on rural roads with the ability to run in the right of way along the road. This is easier on the feet and joints. I've trained my dogs to stay close with an e collar so I don't need a leash. This enables them to run free into fallow fields and take a swim in irrigation canals we cross. Sometimes I will put a roading harness on them and let them tow me on the bike with a short lead that I can drop if it looks like the dog may lead me into a crash.
Same here. I did have a dog cut across in front of me once, knocked me a$$ over teakettles. Have the stitches in my eyebrow to prove it. That reminds me -- WEAR A HELMET :D

There is some training involved for the dog, but once you get him there, the dog will love it.

I used the bikejoring commands - "on by" (meaning ignore the distraction and keep running), "gee" (turn left), "haw" (turn right), I used "sloooowwwwwwwwwwwwww" rather than "whoa"...and so on. Here's some basic info: http://www.skijornow.com/basic.html

Have fun.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 am

I was thinking about running mine off my mtn bike or road bike but decided I could also get exercise if I ran 5-7 miles every other day with her. We have a mix of concrete running paths and dirt paths to walk on thanks to the HOA's in the area.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 am

When I lived in the city I used to run my lab all the time while running my bicycle.

I used a leather 6 foot lead held in my hand, because I had more control over the dog and bicycle.

I had many proplems with stray dogs giving chase, so I taped a cattle prod to the handle bars using only masking tape, WORKED GREAT!

You will need to condition the dogs feet, short distances at first every other day. Mushers Secert should be used before running. Work your way up because pavement can be hard on a dogs feet at first.

Britguy1

Post by Britguy1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 am

I ride with my Brittany right on the streets. It has never hurt his feet. I trained him with an e-collar and he stays right with me. He will chase a rabbit, but only for a few seconds. He comes right back to me on when I call. It is a great way to keep you dog in shape.
A bad day in the field is just a bad day.
A great day in the field is heaven

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:45 am

I do this with my Weim whenever it's cool enough. One of the few ways that I have to get him out for exercise that will tire him out. He is full of go and we have routes ranging from 3-9 miles. Surfaces vary between concrete, grass, and gravel.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:01 am

I seen a post on here in another thread about roading and the person put cardboard on each side of the treadmill and turned it on high and let the dog run at like 8.5 or 9mph for an hour or so. I guess that would work out for those really cold winter days.

Corry

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:54 am

My late dog Gunner loved to run on the treadmill. I'd made a box with 2x4s and thin plywood to put around the treadmill. It kept him on and provided a place to hook the roading harness to. I'd run with a lot of incline and run him hard. He would go to the treadmill and stand on it wanting to run...

The Vizsla doesn't like it at all. The family tried to introduce him on it while I was at work and didn't do a good job. He's been scared of it ever since.

I haven't tried with the young dog.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks Greg, my wife is wanting to sell our treadmill at the next yard sale her and her mom have, and I am trying to justify it by having it for the pup lol.

Corry