Selecting breed question (more of a ratio thing)

Ghosted3

Selecting breed question (more of a ratio thing)

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:02 am

Since I have been here I have noticed that the large majority of dog owners here have pointing breeds. I know that the pointing breeds outnumber and are more readily available than the flushers, but do you choose pointers over flushers for a specific reason, or is it one of those things that you grew up with a pointer so you have stuck with em kinda thing?

Corry

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Selecting breed question (more of a ratio thing)

Post by cjhills » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:09 am

I changed from springers to GSPs because it is easier for a old guy to hunt with a pointer than a flusher. Still prefer a good springer for pheasant hunting. CJ

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 am

I grew up hunting quail with pointers and setters in TN. That's just what I like, so I have pointing dogs.

I could see how a good flusher would work great on pheasants a lot of the time.

Greg J.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:14 am

I would disagree with you to an extent. I would say that by the numbers flushers are much easier to come by for the average person than a pointing breed. I would also assume that the ratios are different depending on where you are located.

I gravitatedaway from flushers/retrievers, because I quail hunt more than waterfowl these days and flushers dont/cant run/hunt big enough for our thinly spread farm country quail.

Jim
Last edited by jimbo&rooster on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 am

I dunno if i'd say pointers outnumber flushers.....labs are a dime a dozen.

It all comes down to preference and type of game hunted.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:32 pm

In South Dakota, flushers/ retrievers outnumber pointers twenty to one. I've never understood why; could be that people perceive the training for a flusher to be easier? I'll admit that there are some conditions for which they are probably better suited than pointers, such as creek bottoms, sloughs, etc. Most flushers that I hunt with are loosely trained to stay within gun range, and while they put up their share of birds and retrieve reliably, it's just not the same for me as hunting behind a good pointing dog.

When I was six or seven years old, my grandfather had an old picture on his wall of a setter and pointer locked up on a bird, and I was captivated by that image. Years later, after decades of hunting behind labs and springers owned by friends and family, I had an opportunity to hunt with a fellow from Colorado and his young shorthair. We were hunting some very heavy CRP, and I shot a limit of wild roosters over that dog's points in very short time. The intensity she had on birds was what put me over the edge. It was fascinating to watch that dog do what had been bred into her for so many generations. The fact that every bird was retrieved to hand sealed the deal.

Twenty years later, I still drive home from pheasant and sharptail hunts wearing a big grin, reflecting on the points my dogs made earlier in the day. Limiting out became secondary to me quite a few years ago. To be honest, I'd much rather have a good photograph of my dog on point than have the bird in the back of the truck. I guess there's just something about that quivering intensity that I never grow tired of.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:47 pm

ckirsch wrote: I still drive home from pheasant and sharptail hunts wearing a big grin, reflecting on the points my dogs made earlier in the day. Limiting out became secondary to me quite a few years ago. To be honest, I'd much rather have a good photograph of my dog on point than have the bird in the back of the truck. I guess there's just something about that quivering intensity that I never grow tired of.
With ya. Well said.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with the last two posts. For me there is nothing like hunting behind a classy/stylish pointing dog. The first time I saw a pointer on point and hold that point, I was fascinated and hooked. As mentioned, there are certain birds and terrain where a flushing dog may work better, but as also mentioned, it is about much more than the number of birds in the bag for me. :D Make that the last three posts. :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Regional differences....regional preferences.
Skirmish line hunt for pheasants will find more flushers than pointers, ime.
But won't find as many flushers for ruffed grouse in the appalatchians as in Michigan.
And won't find as many english pointers for ruffed grouse in the appalatchians as in Michigan.
All generally, of course.

I select for performance, my own sense of a tradition, practacality and what makes me grin.
The first bird I shot over was a Britt, my first dog was a GSP....now, I want only a setter.
Change is relentless tho.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:56 pm

In northern Minn. Labs far out number pointing breeds. Though the number of pointing breeds is growing. Most folks up here hunt there grouse from a truck or 4x4. Only the pointer people seem to hunt woodcock.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:In northern Minn. Labs far out number pointing breeds. Though the number of pointing breeds is growing. Most folks up here hunt there grouse from a truck or 4x4. Only the pointer people seem to hunt woodcock.

Labs are used down here in Louisiana by some people not as effective but interesting.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 pm

I grew up with a father who will argue with the TV when there's a hunting show on because he hates hunting. So, when I told him I wanted hunting dog he wasn't happy. Some guys' dads take them fishing and make memories, mine would pull up to the lake, give me a stick, a ball of twine and some gummy worms for bate and I'd sit on the bank while he sat in the car, ready the paper and drank his 7&7. I'm not even joking.

To me pointing dogs are the most regal, refined branch of the sporting group. I wish I could get all excited over retrievers or something, but I've tried and they just don't get my hackles up. Nothing against them and watching a retriever do his thing is really amazing, not to mention a flushing dog, but some folks like Chevys, some like Fords, I like birddogs. :) What can I say. I really do wish retrievers got me excited, too, because it would be a lot easier for my situation. There are plenty of opportunities around here for waterfowl, but I've got to go hours for decent upland. I wouldn't have to lease a ton of land to train my dogs and there would be more events, closer, if I wer into retrievers. It is what it is...
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:04 pm

UM all dogs can retrieve from water, some just better than others, why aren't you using your dog to duck hunt?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:18 am

northern cajun wrote:UM all dogs can retrieve from water, some just better than others, why aren't you using your dog to duck hunt?
Ya some have the desire and drive, and some need to be trained.

And on a side note I am not against pointers at all, if I would have been able to get the gun dog that I wanted it would have been a GSP.

Corry