Puppy Adolescence?

frosso

Puppy Adolescence?

Post by frosso » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:27 am

In the last couple of weeks my 8 month old Llew has been behaving like she is drinking jet fuel. She was just getting the house manners thing down and now she is an unruly wild child. She's driving poor Chaney my 6 year old mellow lab crazy. I run her with me every other day between 3-5 miles and she chases tweety birds all day in the back yard and when she comes in she's still wide open. I'm hoping this is just adolescence. I'm not upset with her, I'm just wondering if this will pass. Any advice or words of encouragement would be appreciated.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

Munster

Re: Puppy Adolescence?

Post by Munster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:05 am

Puppy puberty! :lol:

The best I can tell you is to keep everything consistent. Get after her when she does wrong. Persistent and consistent will get you through this. Also remember to be fair and firm!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:20 am

Right there with you! Forrest has discovered the joys of marking (he's 9 months old). Caught him once.....didn't catch him the 2nd time, which means there WILL be a 3rd. I love him, but I'm gonna KILL him!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am

Crate, crate, crate, crate, ad nauseum.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Frosso,
I agree with the crate too but also use the obedience commands he should know at this age. DOWN STAY is helpful to teach in the house on a specific place where he can chew on a loaded KONG toy. Keep a line on him in the house if needed for better control.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:39 pm

yeah I've been dealing with marking and humping lately. I'm as consistent as possible but every time he gets away with it once I know there's another one coming. The marking is starting to cool off now though. I've been using the ecollar to punish both behaviors. Is anyone concerned about shocking your dog while it's humping another dog and the other dog getting shocked too? I'd hate to start a fight that way.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:24 pm

DogNewbie wrote:yeah I've been dealing with marking and humping lately. I'm as consistent as possible but every time he gets away with it once I know there's another one coming. The marking is starting to cool off now though. I've been using the ecollar to punish both behaviors. Is anyone concerned about shocking your dog while it's humping another dog and the other dog getting shocked too? I'd hate to start a fight that way.
I really don't see how the other dog would get shocked too. I guess the dog getting shocked could think the other dog did it and cause a problem, however, I have always used it and it stopped the behavior with no other problems. JMO and experience with it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

frosso

Post by frosso » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:58 pm

She had gotten pretty good behaving herself that I don't really use the crate anymore. Should I go back to the crate?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 pm

agree with Crate training 100% and it helps alot to calm a dog down when they get the crazys going. I also train my pup for Go Lay down. Or somtimes pepole use go to your matt. I like this cuz it does not really make the crate a punishment or confinment. I can tell my dog GO lay down. and he knows that he should got to his dog bed. It really helps when he gets the crazies at night and wants to pace and be next to me. I can use the command a bunch of times with minimal enforcement and dont risk losing the Crate command. When I say Crate there is no execptions to the rule.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Forrest gets a pass on the marking....his sister came into season today. UGH!!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit