how to exercise new pup

WillieELk78GSP

how to exercise new pup

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:41 pm

I just for my GSP pup about a 4 days ago and she is crazy fun to play with. But she has energy like she has not played at all, I try to take her for a walk/run but she just sits down about 1/4 the way threw the walk, than I have to either pull her back or pick her up, any suggestions on how to get her to want to walk or run with me?
God Bless

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: how to exercise new pup

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:55 pm

How old, sounds too young for too much running......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:04 pm

put the dog down in the yard and let in run and mess around till its wore out.... there is no way to really "exercise" a pup much before 12weeks when I start to take them to the field.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:34 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:put the dog down in the yard and let in run and mess around till its wore out.... there is no way to really "exercise" a pup much before 12weeks when I start to take them to the field.

Jim
Yep. Playing with another dog is a great way for a pup to get exercise. When they feel like running, they run. When they feel like resting, they rest. They self-regulate their activity and get what they need.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:38 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote:put the dog down in the yard and let in run and mess around till its wore out.... there is no way to really "exercise" a pup much before 12weeks when I start to take them to the field.

Jim
Yep. Playing with another dog is a great way for a pup to get exercise. When they feel like running, they run. When they feel like resting, they rest. They self-regulate their activity and get what they need.
Exactly right and very young puppys have a lot more play than run in them.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

trasmuson

Post by trasmuson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:15 pm

I’m going on a backpacking trip this weekend with my older dog, and 9 week old puppy as well. I am keeping this trip to a short one, but I have a feeling I will be doing a lot more carrying the pup than her actually hiking, not only because of her stamina but also don’t want to take any risks of her hurting her joints or anything by over exercising…

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:38 pm

WATER water water with new pup in the field they dont know how to regulate yet, as others have said. you need to be the one that stops the play/running cuz the pup may not no when to stop. I go with the age in weeks times 3 = minutes run. For a sporting dog in the first 16 weeks as a starting point. Then its up to the dog.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:39 pm

trasmuson wrote:I’m going on a backpacking trip this weekend with my older dog, and 9 week old puppy as well. I am keeping this trip to a short one, but I have a feeling I will be doing a lot more carrying the pup than her actually hiking, not only because of her stamina but also don’t want to take any risks of her hurting her joints or anything by over exercising…
It's a blast camping with a pup. I remember years ago, I shot some little bird with my .22 on a camping trip - and my 10 week old Brittany grabbed that bird and ran off - found her hiding under a creek bank munching away on it. She had this wild look in her eyes...never had a problem with her bird drive - she was hooked!!