at what age do they point?

LtsHnt

at what age do they point?

Post by LtsHnt » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:16 pm

as the title sugests, at what age did your puppy start pointing.....i have an 8 week old viz. havnt seen her point yet however i have only had her for about five days now. not too worried but more curious i guess.

Byrdgirl

Re: at what age do they point?

Post by Byrdgirl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Our 17 week old GSP pointed for the first time at 11 weeks at a NAVHDA training day.

Luna's first point

Luna on point at 13 weeks

Her older sister Cleo pointed at 18 weeks but we had her through the winter and she got a later start.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:33 pm

I wish I could post pics. did the wing on the string at the breeders house. All 3 males pointed I even got one to sorta honor if you wanna call it that at 10weeks old. I think it will point! Just dont do the wing on a string.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:36 pm

btw congratulatuions on you Vizsla. GOOD choice :D

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Anytime from 5 weeks to 5 months - or later...some versatiles dogs are a little later to point. Pointers and setters are pointing each other in momma's womb.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm a total newb, but my pup started pointing around eight or nine weeks... not that she holds it for long. :D

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:05 pm

If you are talking sight pointing a wing or rag, anytime. But do not worry if they wont. I have had pups scent pointing a pidgeon at 8 weeks or so but usually at that age they just want to catch it.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Got a 7 week old litter as of today all 8 of them are pointing, a few better that others but, three of them are very staunch.I start messing with them with the wing at 5 1/2 weeks old with all my litters to see what I have on my hands.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Most puppies I have had will scent point on a pigeon or quail at 8 weeks of age. They will hold pretty good too. Then things go downhill from there :oops:

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:59 pm

If you're looking for a formula of what should happen you're going to be very disapointed. Every dog is different - don't out them into a routine because X did Y. Even dog's in my puppies litter were all different. Some went out and hunted at 10 weeks, my guy sat in front of the quail and didn't care and now he's the best in the litter.

Just get them exposure and don't let them catch any birds. vizslas can be a bit slower than other breeds in development and maturity.

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 pm

ya i havnt really been expecting anything from her yet...i was just curious is all. this is my first pup....ironically she was just in the back yard five min ago pointing at a few bugs on the patio...they didnt last very long but ill take it for now! hope to get her exposed to birds before too long. just need to find somebody who sells pigeons around here.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 pm

LtsHnt wrote:ya i havnt really been expecting anything from her yet...i was just curious is all. this is my first pup....ironically she was just in the back yard five min ago pointing at a few bugs on the patio...they didnt last very long but ill take it for now! hope to get her exposed to birds before too long. just need to find somebody who sells pigeons around here.
Catch them! i just started 2 weeks ago - it's so easy. Go under bridges when it's dark with a net & flashlight. Put it in their eyes and scoop 'em up.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Illegal where i live. Have you ever met a Policeman under a bridge at 2 a.m. :roll:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Sharon wrote:Illegal where i live. Have you ever met a Policeman under a bridge at 2 a.m. :roll:

I can picture it.... "Whatya doin , HEY. " :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:11 am

LtsHnt wrote:ya i havnt really been expecting anything from her yet...i was just curious is all. this is my first pup....ironically she was just in the back yard five min ago pointing at a few bugs on the patio...they didnt last very long but ill take it for now! hope to get her exposed to birds before too long. just need to find somebody who sells pigeons around here.
where is around here, adding your location my help you find some birds,friends,training groups,who know, i just think it may help someday

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:30 am

My pup's about 14 weeks old and has been scent-pointing 2-3 weeks now. We're just making a game of it and letting her have fun. The birds are teaching her to point, not me. She's learning that if she moves in, the bird flies away, and the game is over. Her points are getting longer and longer, enough to where I'm sometimes able to move in and give her some encouraging strokes on the back and style her up a bit. Her points also are slowly getting to be farther away from the birds.
I broke down and bought a couple launchers to make sure she doesn't catch any birds. It was just too unpredictable trying to dizzy them -- they'd either fly away the moment I planted them, or sit there half-comatose until the pup grabbed them. The birds are the answer. I'm just letting her find them and figure it out on her own.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:44 am

my SMALL MUNSTERLANDER was pointing a birdwing at 6 weeks old.
at 8 weeks he is pointing bluejays and timberdoodles at school.
he is not afraid of brush,so much so i had to put a bell on him at 9 weeks old.
he brings dead birds back to me .

but being he had 2 encounters with snakes, 1 black snake 5 ft long and 2 ft garter snake that he had in his mouth.
i am using checkcord now when we go in brush.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 am

SpinoneIllinois wrote:My pup's about 14 weeks old and has been scent-pointing 2-3 weeks now. We're just making a game of it and letting her have fun. The birds are teaching her to point, not me. She's learning that if she moves in, the bird flies away, and the game is over. Her points are getting longer and longer, enough to where I'm sometimes able to move in and give her some encouraging strokes on the back and style her up a bit. Her points also are slowly getting to be farther away from the birds.
I broke down and bought a couple launchers to make sure she doesn't catch any birds. It was just too unpredictable trying to dizzy them -- they'd either fly away the moment I planted them, or sit there half-comatose until the pup grabbed them. The birds are the answer. I'm just letting her find them and figure it out on her own.

i ROAD TRAIN my lab toby on wild grouse at 12 weeks old.this is how he learned to point or stand as some call it.
labs are flushers but toby will point IF i am not near.
if i am close, he flushes.
going to do same with whiskers my small munsterlander.
this way he gets to see about 6 grouse per trip and i can keep checkkcord on him so snake does not get him and also that i dont spook the grouse to much as they have young birds with females.
i usually just train on males and drive by females with peeps. :wink:

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 am

I picked my pup up at 10 weeks and I can't remember exactly how old he was when I first got him out on birds but it was probably a few weeks later. His first planted pigeon I lead him right in on it and he locked up hard about a nose length from the bird...it was pretty funny. It looked like the birds scent almost knocked him backwards. He only held if for a couple seconds before he lunged in to grab the bird. As exciting as that first point is, someone on this board gave me great advice....don't be too impressed with a puppy that points, that's completely genetics. What's impressive is a pup that hunts for you and not himself. Obviously that takes training and is a ways away for you and your pup, but when I first read that statement it really help my newbie mind grasp what exactly the task was ahead of me. That being said...that first point is still one of the most exciting moments I've had with my pup :D

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:52 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Anytime from 5 weeks to 5 months - or later...some versatiles dogs are a little later to point. Pointers and setters are pointing each other in momma's womb.
+1

I've had pups point at 5 weeks, and I've had litters that I thought were far better than the one before that didn't point till 8 weeks and so on. However real early on its usually sight pointing. I used to do the wing on a string thing for my own amusement back when I didn't know any better. However I try to stay away from that unless I am in dire need of a great pic or the buyer is standing there and requests seeing them point a wing.

Hopefully we'll have some youngins rompin around here in about 40 some days.... Goin to get my bitch this weekend from Texas! STOKED----> :mrgreen:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:17 pm

sioux falls, sd

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:35 pm

LtsHnt wrote:sioux falls, sd
South Dakota Pointing Dog Club is a NAVHDA club based in Sioux Falls. They Have training days once or twice a month right in Sioux Falls(By the Family Park).
I'm sure you could talk to them about where they get their quail and pigeons, plus you could probably train with some of their club members. You might try calling Kay Farris(605-251-1019)---She is their hunt test sec for the AKC hunt tests that they run--they run AKC along with NAVHDA. She could probably hook you up with a name that would be able to help you out getting birds. Good luck with the new pup :D

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:44 am

deseeker wrote:
LtsHnt wrote:sioux falls, sd
South Dakota Pointing Dog Club is a NAVHDA club based in Sioux Falls. They Have training days once or twice a month right in Sioux Falls(By the Family Park).
I'm sure you could talk to them about where they get their quail and pigeons, plus you could probably train with some of their club members. You might try calling Kay Farris(605-251-1019)---She is their hunt test sec for the AKC hunt tests that they run--they run AKC along with NAVHDA. She could probably hook you up with a name that would be able to help you out getting birds. Good luck with the new pup :D
:D :D :D

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:32 am

I've had pups that rock solid pointed the first bird they ever saw at 5 weeks of age. I've had others that showed interest but didn't get around to pointing until they were a few months old. All of them turned into great field dogs, so either way it's not an indicator of potential.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:00 pm

crazy i live only a few blocks from the family park...perfect then. thanks!

LaTexCLB

Post by LaTexCLB » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:38 pm

I've had Shorthairs from FT lines that were scent-pointing at 7 - 8 weeks old - bred in as they say. Their pointing was top-notched, but their hunting style was very independent. At 5 months, they would be several hundred yards across the field. I recently bought a Shorthair pup from strong NSTRA lines that did not start sight-pointing until she was six or seven months old, and did not really start scent pointing until eight months old. However, when running her in fields, she definitely hunts with me. Not a boot polisher, but she keeps an eye on where I am, which way I'm going, and turns with me naturally. As General Colin Powell said -- "It's not how you start, but how you finish that's important". I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read that tightly line bred Llewellyn Setters are slower maturing and pointing, but when they start, it's the "real deal". My Dad had a setter pup that did not really start pointing until she was 6 months old, but she was an excellent bird dog from then on.
Impressive KaZoya Rusty Mia Reduxx http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genedit.php?id=4133