German Shorthair British Field Trial Champ

Francois P vd Walt

German Shorthair British Field Trial Champ

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:57 am

http://gsp-bullet.blogspot.com/2012/07/ ... breed.html

Matotoland Kennel makes more history with the modern bred German Shorthairs, and this makes us love our dogs more !
In 30 years of field trialing in S. Africa the continental breed trialing was won by EP, we now are breeding both hard running dogs with good enough noses to compete with the EP. This has only been achieved twice in 30 years. :D

We have now managed to win Championship stakes in BB trials and Hunt Point and Retrieve trials Open Stake.
Last edited by Francois P vd Walt on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghosted3

Re: German Shorthair British Field Trial Champ

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Congrats!

Corry

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Good for you. Enjoy.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

This is not the first time this has happened in South Africa. GSP's are regularly placed in British Breed Field Trials in South Africa. Certainly not the first time A GSP has won a Championship event in SA. A lot of terrain in South Africa is more suited to GSP's that EP's, hence the results.

Soldaat

Post by Soldaat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:01 am

Well said Nick, in which part of the country was the trial run. Congrats to the winning dog.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 am

Well done that dog and in fairness to the original poster a link was provided which stated this is the third G.S.P. to have achieved this win.

Isn't it about time you lads in S.A. stopped calling this a British field trial however ? In Britain Hunt-point- retrievers have not been allowed to compete in trials against pointers and setters for many years ....... maybe about half a century ? I'm not sure but it has certainly been a long time. Those early trials favoured the pointers and setters since they were usually held up on wide open grouse moors. It would have taken a very hard going GSP to win such a trial in that setting and as far as I am aware no GSP ever did win any of those trials . Michael Brander ( the man who wrote Britains first H-P-R book) did achieve a place in such a trial but did not win any. He told me himself he'd only competed in those trials in order to try to gain a stud book number for his dog (Kennel name is Dunpender) Back then G.S.P.'s and other continental breeds had no trials of their own in Britain.

Nowadays an H-P-R trial in Britain is held with just one dog running at a time. The ground the trial is held on can be anything at all from a grouse moor to marshland to turnip fields to woodlands with very thick brambles.........any kind of ground at all. HPR trials here could not be won by a pointer or setter not just because they would not handle the varying terrains too well but because they are never used as retrievers ....... except of the most basic kind and these breeds are never required to retrieve in one of their trials and would be put out of their trials if they did retrieve ! :roll:

Do the dogs in S.A. trials run in pairs ? Is retrieving required at those trials ? If the answer to either of those questions is "yes" then I think you should be entitled to call your "mixed breed" trials your own and not "British !"

Bill T.

Best wishes to all of you anyway. :D
The older I get, the better I was !

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 am

Cory huh! I've wondered how to pronounce your name. Now there's one I can, Cory. Congradulation's on the win. It makes no matter where a trial is run or by what rules. So long as the rules are the same for everyone. I don't suppose you have a photo of you with the winner?

I noticed with Trekmoor from Britian and Cory there's a couple more dog men from S. Africa. Don't know when they came asboard but welcome to you guy's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:54 am

Nick Miles wrote:This is not the first time this has happened in South Africa. GSP's are regularly placed in British Breed Field Trials in South Africa. Certainly not the first time A GSP has won a Championship event in SA. A lot of terrain in South Africa is more suited to GSP's that EP's, hence the results.
This is only the second time in 30 years, the early day GSP never ranged further than 30m now we to get out to a mile or two ! :D

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:55 am

Soldaat wrote:Well said Nick, in which part of the country was the trial run. Congrats to the winning dog.
Free State Klerksdorp.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 am

Trekmoor wrote:Well done that dog and in fairness to the original poster a link was provided which stated this is the third G.S.P. to have achieved this win.

Isn't it about time you lads in S.A. stopped calling this a British field trial however ? In Britain Hunt-point- retrievers have not been allowed to compete in trials against pointers and setters for many years ....... maybe about half a century ? I'm not sure but it has certainly been a long time. Those early trials favoured the pointers and setters since they were usually held up on wide open grouse moors. It would have taken a very hard going GSP to win such a trial in that setting and as far as I am aware no GSP ever did win any of those trials . Michael Brander ( the man who wrote Britains first H-P-R book) did achieve a place in such a trial but did not win any. He told me himself he'd only competed in those trials in order to try to gain a stud book number for his dog (Kennel name is Dunpender) Back then G.S.P.'s and other continental breeds had no trials of their own in Britain.

Nowadays an H-P-R trial in Britain is held with just one dog running at a time. The ground the trial is held on can be anything at all from a grouse moor to marshland to turnip fields to woodlands with very thick brambles.........any kind of ground at all. HPR trials here could not be won by a pointer or setter not just because they would not handle the varying terrains too well but because they are never used as retrievers ....... except of the most basic kind and these breeds are never required to retrieve in one of their trials and would be put out of their trials if they did retrieve ! :roll:

Do the dogs in S.A. trials run in pairs ? Is retrieving required at those trials ? If the answer to either of those questions is "yes" then I think you should be entitled to call your "mixed breed" trials your own and not "British !"

Bill T.

Best wishes to all of you anyway. :D
In the BB trials no retrieving just has to have a find, point, back, style and work rate, steady to shot and flush run by 2 dogs in a brace 5min to 10min rounds.
HPR - both land and water retrieve is needed in the major stakes, both major stakes no commands or checking is allowed.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:26 am

A mile or 2? oh my goodness the Americans have now ruint the breed in Africa aswell as the USA. :lol: :lol: :P
Congrats to all involved!!

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:36 am

Francois P vd Walt wrote:now we to get out to a mile or two ! :D
[/quote]

A mile or two!! - That's impressive. Congrats on the win.

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:12 am

Trekmoor wrote:Isn't it about time you lads in S.A. stopped calling this a British field trial however ? In Britain Hunt-point- retrievers have not been allowed to compete in trials against pointers and setters for many years ....... maybe about half a century ? I'm not sure but it has certainly been a long time. Those early trials favoured the pointers and setters since they were usually held up on wide open grouse moors.
Thanks for your response Bill. All good points. However, bear in mind that here in SA we are not blessed with the numbers of contestants and dogs you have available in the US so we allow a bit more latitude on trial entries in order to get the field up and not turn people away. To a large extent we are still developing the sport here (even though our field trialling history dates back 100years) Some British Breed clubs even allow GSP's to join up :) In all seriousness, in the early years GSP's were nowhere near the range of EP's and they would hunt no further than an average spaniel, there has been a concerted effort to put some legs onto GSP's and certainly in SA we have seen a big increase in range over the past few years. There are some committed people bringing in some good dogs from the US, and the GSP's gene pool here is the better for it.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:09 am

Hi Nick , I'm from Haggisland not the U.S.A. :lol: The type of trials you are running just do not happen here in Britain.

I'm slightly surprised to read that the early GSP's in S.A. were such close quarterers . I'm certainly not going to claim that our GSP's in Britain make 2 miles outruns :lol: but they often do make 2-300 yard outruns on the right kind of ground - the grouse moors. Even 30 + years ago we had GSP's that would do that and a few of them could put up a good show against pointers and setters.

We had our share of close range plodders too but they got weeded out by trials held on open ground. I have a feeling we go in for more control over our HPR's than you lads maybe do ? We need that control because there are few grouse moor trials but many woodland and cover trials held here. The same dogs that hunt fast and wide on the moors are expected to close right in whenever required to. I have won grouse moor trials and cover trials with the same dogs during the same shooting season but I have to keep my whistle ready during the cover trials ! :lol:

Britain's most successful GSP trialer is Tom Brechney. We live just a few miles apart and we have trained together and trialed together. Tom likes his big running dogs to also be good at dealing with and handling in what he calls in his Scottish accent .... "The wee ticht corners !" He claims that the ability to do that is a trial winner and I agree with him...... it is. The dog that can do that is truly versatile.

Bill T.

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:42 am

Trekmoor wrote:Tom likes his big running dogs to also be good at dealing with and handling in what he calls in his Scottish accent .... "The wee ticht corners !" He claims that the ability to do that is a trial winner and I agree with him...... it is. The dog that can do that is truly versatile.

Bill T.
Apologies for assuming you were in the US. I agree with you about the verstility, I also like a dog that can slow down and hunt the thicker stuff when needed too. I have seen a lot of EP's and GSP's (Brittanies too for that matter) that have a lot of run and are a little too fast for their noses. It's always a fine balance, and what one man loves another might heap scorn on. At the end of the day there is always one beautiful piece of work that brings you back whether you run EP's or Pointing Labs.

By the way. British Breed Trials here are run on wild birds, as are the HPR Trials.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:22 am

Nick Miles wrote:
By the way. British Breed Trials here are run on wild birds, as are the HPR Trials.
That's good to hear. In Britain birds are never "planted" just prior to a trial or during it. If the game is mainly pheasants they will have been released several months prior to the trial. If there are grey or English Partidge present then they are likely to have been born and raised in the wild. All other British game species , with the possible exception of mallard ducks, are wild birds.
Although one or two people have succeeded in rearing grouse chicks from wild bred eggs, nobody I know of has ever managed to get grouse to breed in captivity .... the species seems to demand a very large territorial area before they will breed. Grouse are never reared on a commercial basis . I don't think they can be.

What happens in a S.A. trial if a GSP points on fur ? In Britain , the dog is credited with the point and will be required to retrieve it if the rabbit or hare is shot.
In Britain rabbits and hares are to be pointed by HPR breeds but in pointer/setter trials it is greatly preferred if the dogs do not point fur.

Bill T.

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:36 am

Trekmoor wrote:What happens in a S.A. trial if a GSP points on fur ? In Britain , the dog is credited with the point and will be required to retrieve it if the rabbit or hare is shot.
In Britain rabbits and hares are to be pointed by HPR breeds but in pointer/setter trials it is greatly preferred if the dogs do not point fur.

Bill T.
In BB or HPR trials a dog pointing fur will be credited with a point. In BB trials you could also fire a shot and prove your dog steady to shot and you would get credited with a shot as well. I've never heard of anyone shooting a rabbit in an HPR trial here - I should find out if it would be acceptable? Can't see why not.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Why not shoot rabbits ? Rabbits are supposed to be pointed by HPR's in all of their continental countries of origin ..... I think ? They are certainly meant to be both pointed and retrieved by GSP's but one word of warning here ........ not all dogs that are soft mouthed on birds are soft mouthed on rabbits. More than one dog has been ejected from British trials for closing the suitcase on a rabbit or a hare. We have a theory that the cause of this is that the German dogs were expected to kill furred vermin and would not be awarded certain certificates unless they did.

Rabbits are considered to be both vermin and game in Britain . In field trials for HPR's, Spaniels and retrievers they are considered to be game and if a dog puts the crunch on one it is eliminated. Oddly enough many British judges will not eliminate a dog for missing a rabbit or a hare as the dog hunts . It is felt that a tightly clapped down rabbit or hare is possibly even more difficult for a dog to detect than is a clapped down gamebird. The dog might get marked down for missing fur but it is unlikely to be eliminated.

This only applies to the HPR's .....should a spaniel miss a rabbit it is at once eliminated.

Bill T.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 pm

http://gsp-bullet.blogspot.com/search?u ... results=50

Our dogs retrieve rabbits, spurfowl in our country get up to 15kg and are much more of a challenge to retrieve ....

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:30 pm

Yeah, man! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:40 am

Francois P vd Walt wrote:Our dogs retrieve rabbits, spurfowl in our country get up to 15kg and are much more of a challenge to retrieve ....
Sure. My dogs will retrieve rabbits as well. But what about in a trial Francois.

15kg Spurfowl - !!! - Show me one? Spurfowl are no challenge for any birddog. You mean SpurWING Goose? Maybe? These are the biggest challenges to dogs at about 8kgs max.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:03 am

Nick Miles wrote:
Francois P vd Walt wrote:Our dogs retrieve rabbits, spurfowl in our country get up to 15kg and are much more of a challenge to retrieve ....
Sure. My dogs will retrieve rabbits as well. But what about in a trial Francois.

15kg Spurfowl - !!! - Show me one? Spurfowl are no challenge for any birddog. You mean SpurWING Goose? Maybe? These are the biggest challenges to dogs at about 8kgs max.
http://gsp-bullet.blogspot.com/search?u ... results=50

You are correct Spurwing Goose look at the size of the one in this link ! This one weight 15kg !
In trials we only shoot birds as you know and use a duck for water retrieve.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Looks like he's got it going on!! :D :wink:

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:08 pm

congrats and great pic!