Photos of your bird housing.

Stoneface

Photos of your bird housing.

Post by Stoneface » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:25 pm

All I have right now is a johnny house that I've put some trap doors on for pigeons. Here's a link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neA9oeBF ... ature=plcp

Anybody have any photos/videos of where you house your birds?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

CacaoandNilla

Re: Photos of your bird housing.

Post by CacaoandNilla » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Its about 90% done but can still hold birds I got 25 chuks in there now

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Very nice! I would have been afraid of not having support beams under you roof with all the snow you guys get up there. Are you worried about that at all?

I bet the Chuks fare better than quail in the cold weather.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

CacaoandNilla

Post by CacaoandNilla » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:14 pm

I'll shovel it like the canopy on my deck :-)

bwire

Post by bwire » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:45 pm

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=23704

I couldn't get the pictures to load but here is a link to some pictures of a JH I did a few years ago. I made another one this spring from some scrap and now have two set up.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:25 am

Wire, that was a great thread! Dig all the photos and really dig the feed/water system. How did that feeder work out for you? Does the feed just spill out onto the ground?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

bwire

Post by bwire » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:28 am

The feed and water tubes work out well. I had to play around with the size of the hole in the feed tube so it all doesn't come out at once. A hole about the size of a quarter seems to work out well. The birds are able to peck at the feed without making much of a mess. And the nipples for the water tube are great. I had no problems with them the last 3 years.

Lyco Setter

Post by Lyco Setter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:59 am

Quail pen I've also used to keep chukar in on occasion.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:20 am

Chicken coop I built for my folks with left over construction material, and Sancho the rooster. My pigeons don't have it so good!

Last edited by Garrison on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

cptn

Post by cptn » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 am

That is a nice coop!
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:34 am

Mine is a bigger version of what sane people do, but I raise birds for the public so keep that in mind. You can view pic's at www.cekkennels.com/birds.htm
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:47 am

topher40 wrote:Mine is a bigger version of what sane people do, but I raise birds for the public so keep that in mind. You can view pic's at http://www.cekkennels.com/birds.htm
Chris, do the pigeons drink out of the nipples?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:54 am

Yep, pigeons chickens quail and turkey all do
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Lyco Setter wrote:Quail pen I've also used to keep chukar in on occasion.

I like the feeders sticking out of the house....I just might do that to mine.. Can you keep the food dry????...
Here is my newest project...i have two like yours without the add on ...Great idea.. I'm scratching my head if i should of built this one.
Oh well never have enough houseing. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:58 pm

@rschmeider, is that based off the Phantom Quail Kennel? How do you like it?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:58 pm

@rschmeider, is that based off the Phantom Quail Kennel? How do you like it?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Garrison wrote:Chicken coop I built for my folks with left over construction material, and Sancho the rooster. My pigeons don't have it so good.

That is the nicest coop I have ever seen!

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:21 am

Stoneface wrote:@rschmeider, is that based off the Phantom Quail Kennel? How do you like it?
Yes its a Phantom kennel plans....Just got the house done...Doing some plumbing this weekend.
Like to load all the water and feed from the outside..Working on a idea for the feed.
The plans are worth the money and goes together quick...Built it in 2 days....

The set up said it will maintain 50 birds up to 5 to 6 week ....i'm stoked about turning out 45 + for the pups...
The LCS plans hold about 2 dozen birds..and my 3ft by 4 is my favorite for mobility....This Phantom will need a skid steer to move.

My first johnny is like yours ...you will have that for a long time....Just a idea next time ...ripp your 2x4 boards down in half
Cut down on the weight.. That is a nice size one to move around to different fields...

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:49 am

I was planning on doing my next like the 4x8 house posted above. I like the simplicity of it. I get ahead of myself and was trying to make my coop look at good as Doug Deats' coop, which is what I modeled it after. Thing is it's hard to do that when I suck as a carpenter and Doug is a great carpenter. I probably spent three times more on that house than I should have, but I've turned it into a pigeon coop and it works fricken awesome. I put two trap doors on it, one at the rear and one at the front, level with the sun deck. They land on the landing board at the rear and come in then, if they want to fly, they go to the sun deck and the trap door there is reversed so they can go out of it and fly around. When I got to the coop last night there were five of my current 13 birds flying around the coop. It works good and I haven't had any problems with anything getting into the coop. I wasn't excited about doing it to begin with, but it's about 15 miles away and I don't get out there every day so I wanted the birds to get flown enough.

Hey, not sure how it worked for the coop that was posted above with the feed/water tubes sticking through the roof, but it seems that water could get through the seem of where the roof is cut out for the tubes. You may consider hooking the feed tube to the wall the fixing it to a 45' coupler that goes through the side wall then back vertical again. Also, if you want a good idea on how to build one, check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWpEcwRLnA

I use the Many Ports Feeder from Quality Wildlife and it works like a champ, but the birds get on top of the bucket and mess all over it and everything, so I plan on replacing it with a PVC feeder and storing it in the garage until I get the flight pen built.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

bwire

Post by bwire » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:34 am

Stoneface,

I saw somewhere that a guy ran the chain holding the feed buckets through a funnel and then have the funnel on top of the feed buckets. The funnel would move around and the birds would not sit on them since they kept falling off. I think I saw it on a video somewhere. I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:20 pm

That's a great idea! I think I may try that. I was just down at Lowe's and priced everything to do some tubes and it came out to about $38 for all the supplies to make a feeder and a waterer. Not sure what the pricing is in your area, but here you can get a 10' piece of schedule 40, four-inch pvc for the same exact price as a 5' piece. Just thought you may like to know.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Brittguy wrote:What breed is that rooster. Very attractive bird
It is a gamecock. If you are going to have a rooster around they are great, very protective of the ladies but also very people friendly. They have to be handled a lot so man haters don't stay in the gene pool very long. He would actually fall asleep on your lap if you picked him up and wouldn't chase the kids around. Some of the other roosters we have had would not let anyone near the coop unless you were the one that brought the food. A coyote came into the yard and Sancho went after it, he didn't make it back but all the girls were back in the coop and safe.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:03 pm

ACooper wrote:
Garrison wrote:Chicken coop I built for my folks with left over construction material, and Sancho the rooster. My pigeons don't have it so good.

That is the nicest coop I have ever seen!
Thanks, except for the wire it was all left over material from houses I built.
- Mark Twain-

Lyco Setter

Post by Lyco Setter » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:11 am

rschmeider wrote:
Lyco Setter wrote:Quail pen I've also used to keep chukar in on occasion.

I like the feeders sticking out of the house....I just might do that to mine.. Can you keep the food dry????...
Here is my newest project...i have two like yours without the add on ...Great idea.. I'm scratching my head if i should of built this one.
Oh well never have enough houseing. :lol:

Just need some sort of skirting around the pipe at the roof line, I'm cheap and used duct tape. Works pretty good.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks, im going to give the Silo idea a go..
Here is an idea if you ever are getting wipped out by hawks...Trap and strech it out with concrete stakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sh0rthair

Post by sh0rthair » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:54 am

I just got done building a pigeon coop for a freind and couldn't get the pictures to download, so here is a link to them. I still need to install the gutter (to fill the water barrel) and the metal roof.

http://cajunkennels.netfirms.com/pigeoncoop.htm

dan v

Post by dan v » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Brittguy wrote:What breed is that rooster. Very attractive bird

Why that's Foghorn Leghorn.
Dan

Toster

Post by Toster » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:34 pm

These are some pictures of a Johnny house a friend and I are building. In these pictures it is not quite done.

http://s1022.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... y%20House/

We have since got the roof on, and made the feeder and put in the watering system. I will try to get some photos uploaded those soon.