Dogs from Nitro kennels

Heide

Dogs from Nitro kennels

Post by Heide » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:40 am

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone has gotten any of their hunting dogs from Nitro kennels in Missouri. I'm getting my first bird dog and really want it to be a good one. Their dogs appear high quality, but I dont know anyone thats dealt with them. Also, who has had elhew pointers before? Im told theyre dogs that really like to please their owners, but dont know anyone personally thats had experience with them. Im planning on hunting grouse and pheasant in Maine and Connecticut.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Dogs from Nitro kennels

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 am

Not saying there will be any, but just a reminder about no negative recommendations on the open forum. If you have negative recommendations, please do it by PM.

Greg J.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:29 am

Heide wrote:Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone has gotten any of their hunting dogs from Nitro kennels in Missouri. I'm getting my first bird dog and really want it to be a good one. Their dogs appear high quality, but I dont know anyone thats dealt with them. Also, who has had elhew pointers before? Im told theyre dogs that really like to please their owners, but dont know anyone personally thats had experience with them. Im planning on hunting grouse and pheasant in Maine and Connecticut.
There are pheasant in those two states?

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:10 am

There is plenty of info on Elhew if you just search the forum. I would advise if you want a opinion on a kennel and their dogs, you visit the kennel and their dogs so you can see the style of the dogs and build your own opinion on what you want in a dog.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:13 am

I had one from there a few years ago. I purchased him second hand from a guy out where I live not directly from Nitro but Nitro was the breeder. He was a direct son of Elhew Jefferson. He is at Deep Red Kennel in Lawton now. He was a good dog, great on quail, great in the house, great with the kids, just did not run big enough for my tastes, and was a bit soft, didn't like to retrieve either but would hunt and point dead very well. Jodie Reece at Deep Red Kennel loves him and has bred him several times. You can call and talk to him or you can go to that website and look at him, he is the orange and white dog with the red collar on the top right hand side inside the banner and he is listed as one of Jodie's stud dogs.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:29 am

Is that the only kennel that you have looked into? There are lots of very well bred pointers everywhere. Where are you located?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Heide

Post by Heide » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 am

Ct stocks pheasants. can you train those dogs to hunt close in a wooded setting? I know out west its more open, but I dont want to be running after my dog to keep up because they love to run big like some field trial bred dogs do. My fathers friend use to have brittanies (not well trained either) tnat would take off and bump birds long before you would get there, I know its largely the training but ive been told breeding plays a role too. I also found pinehill kennels in tennessee, most other breeders ive seen listed didnt have such nice conformation, I dont want a dog wkth a pointy nose like many ive seen.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Heide wrote:Ct stocks pheasants. can you train those dogs to hunt close in a wooded setting? I know out west its more open, but I dont want to be running after my dog to keep up because they love to run big like some field trial bred dogs do. My fathers friend use to have brittanies (not well trained either) tnat would take off and bump birds long before you would get there, I know its largely the training but ive been told breeding plays a role too. I also found pinehill kennels in tennessee, most other breeders ive seen listed didnt have such nice conformation, I dont want a dog wkth a pointy nose like many ive seen.

:?: Im slightly confused. I'm thinking you should research all the upland hunting breeds before you start looking for a kennel.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:20 pm

I have had a couple of dogs that were either directly or indirectly from Pine Hill Kennels. Based on my limited dealings with him, I think that Gary is a great guy.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Heide wrote:I dont want to be running after my dog to keep up because they love to run big
You are right it is in the training. Get them whoa broke and let the wild birds take care of the rest.
Heide wrote:...most other breeders ive seen listed didnt have such nice conformation, I dont want a dog wkth a pointy nose like many ive seen.
So u don't want this...
SBuck.jpg
DSCN3184.jpg
You want this...
English Pointer Wallpapers.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:32 pm

If you have not seen it already check out this conversation...http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin/ik ... =2;t=75176

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:03 pm

I think that you should buy a broke or very well started dog. Make sure the seller shows you the dog in the field pointing and holding birds and he shoots them for you. You would also want to see the dog back and retrieve.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm

+1.

Find a dog that was started right and for sale for the right reasons. You'll be able to hunt over it this fall and enjoy doing it.

Something like this
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=36308&p=344830#p344830
or this
http://www.thefieldtrialer.com/forum/vi ... =10&t=2982

Also, it seems that you may be starting to sip the kool aid that field trial dogs are all big running dogs that go to the horizon. Far from it. The best thing you could do is attend some trials in your area this fall and witness it for yourself. I bet you'll find that most of those folks are bird hunters too (or probably even first).

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:56 am

Me thinks you stepped in the field trial poo without knowing it's not even poo. You savvy?

Go watch some dogs before you make any INVESTMENTS. This is not a piece of electronic equipment yo buy site unseen. Just sayin. Good luck in your search.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:30 am

If you are looking for a hunting dog, go watch the "pointy nose" dog lay one down and see the flat nosed dog run...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:29 am

There is not a thing wrong with wanting a dog that looks like what you want. Everyone has there idea of what looks good as well as how they hunt. There is not a one size fits all and there sure isn't a one type better than the rest.

Go and see what you like is good advice but it does not mean you need to change what you like. Just find one you do like before you buy.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

pa outlaw

Post by pa outlaw » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:38 am

I got a female pup from JD at Nitro kennels this year and she is a great dog! She is just seven months old and is basically broke to the flush already! She is my second Elhew pointer and they both were very easy to train. They are soft dogs and handle great, very eager to please you. In my opinion, it's hard to beat a true Elhew dog for the type of hunting I do.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:38 am

////////////////////o
Last edited by gotpointers on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:49 am

gotpointers wrote:
cmc274 wrote:+1.

Find a dog that was started right and for sale for the right reasons. You'll be able to hunt over it this fall and enjoy doing it.

Something like this
or this

Also, it seems that you may be starting to sip the kool aid that field trial dogs are all big running dogs that go to the horizon. Far from it. The best thing you could do is attend some trials in your area this fall and witness it for yourself. I bet you'll find that most of those folks are bird hunters too (or probably even first).
You would do very well with the dog on the second link.
I have this dogs grandmother here at my place. And also what i would consider a brother to that dog from his dams littermate. The dog for sale also has a full brother called Caladens Rail Hawk he's an extremely good dog and has a record to prove it.

The price of a pup from the kennels you mentioned along with the price of training would cost you much more. I don't think you would end up with the same caliber of dog either. Not to mention stud fee revenues which will likely trickle down if Jack wins the National which he's already qualified for.

I think someone is drinking the Kool-aid for sure. Pretty hard to say that you would end up with a less caliber of dog.

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:07 am

I'm planning a breeding this fall. Sire side has notable kennels Blackthorne, Scanpoint, Kinnike, Woodspoint in his pedigree. Plenty of Dual Champions. Dam is Elhew, Miller, and Bee Serious (Bench). My dogs are styled more like the European hunting dogs. Lower tailset and a bit bigger in body..

I personally recommend dogs of Elhew breeding. Our Drake is irreplaceable.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:02 am

-------
Last edited by gotpointers on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:24 am

Ive never said that my dog is a 100% Elhew dog. But the majority of him is Elhew and it will work perfect to breed too Elhew bitches. Ohhhh, wait, I think Wehle did that. hmmmmm

Back to the OP, I've bought dogs from Nitro Kennels. They have some nice dogs. I'd like to see them do a little more with their dogs as far as competition. The bloodlines are going back a bit to far IMO for proven stock. I've liked the dogs ive got from JD and Johnny.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:07 pm

QuailHollow wrote:I'm planning a breeding this fall. Sire side has notable kennels Blackthorne, Scanpoint, Kinnike, Woodspoint in his pedigree. Plenty of Dual Champions. Dam is Elhew, Miller, and Bee Serious (Bench). My dogs are styled more like the European hunting dogs. Lower tailset and a bit bigger in body..

I personally recommend dogs of Elhew breeding. Our Drake is irreplaceable.
I wouldn't use the word "plenty" to describe the number of AKC DCs in the entire breed, let alone a few kennels.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:17 pm

cmc274 wrote:+1.

Something like this
or this

im also a big fan of the 2nd linked dog.

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Heide wrote:Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone has gotten any of their hunting dogs from Nitro kennels in Missouri. I'm getting my first bird dog and really want it to be a good one. Their dogs appear high quality, but I dont know anyone thats dealt with them. Also, who has had elhew pointers before? Im told theyre dogs that really like to please their owners, but dont know anyone personally thats had experience with them. Im planning on hunting grouse and pheasant in Maine and Connecticut.
You will not go wrong with an Elhew bred dog. They are great bird dogs. Call J.D. and and talk to him about what he has and go see the dogs. Good Luck.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution