How do you get your pups retreiving

stevoman

How do you get your pups retreiving

Post by stevoman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:14 am

Im just interested to know how you get your pups retrieving and what techniques you guys like to use. Im currently getting a pair of 10 week old springer spaniels going at the moment, out of my own bitch. One is quite different from the other.

I started with a little golf ball and one pups took picking it up and bringing it back to hand when called first time. The other paid no heed of it at all. I have since now introduced the pheasant wing and dokken quail dummy. again the eager pup has brought both back on the first attempt. The other pup brought back the wing first time after a little coaxing and growling at it, but has no interest in the dokken dummy at the moment and sees it more of a toy, so i wont introduce that back to her for a while.

So, what do you folks do?
Follow my Springer Spaniels upland bird and wildfowl season here in Ireland on twitter. - just search - cooltederry gundogs

marysburg

Re: How do you get your pups retreiving

Post by marysburg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:30 am

I might leave retrieving for a while with the uninterested pup, and see what happens after you crank up her prey drive with introduction to birds. Here in North America, we would likely put her through a trained retrieve (also called Force Fetch), but not until she is a yearling or older. I have three Brittanies, and one is not a natural retriever, even though her bloodlines would indicate that she should be. I finally resorted to using squeaky toys thrown low and bouncing on the lawn to get her to chase and grab. I put her through Evan Graham's Smartfetch programme; the DVDs are excellent and it worked. I did each step diligently, and now she thinks retrieving is fun. She does her work enthusiastically on water or land.

What a difference between your two pups! Sometimes they make us wonder what to do next, but it all makes us grow as trainers and handlers. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out and what worked for you.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:36 am

I use something small and soft like a sock. If teeth are coming in and they associate pain in their mouth with retrieving you will be making your job harder later. Work with them in a hallway or side yard so they have no other option then to bring it to you when they pick it up, make a big deal about them and love them up when they have it in their mouth. Don't snatch it away, share it a bit with the pup and only do it a couple times a day no matter how fun it is for you and anyone else. Only work with one pup at a time and if they get away from you with it in their mouth don't chase them. Once they figure out that this pleases you they will start bringing you things that you may not want them bringing you, it is not the pups fault for doing what you are traing it to do, it is your fault for leaving it out or leaving them un attended, avoid situations where you are upset that the dog has something in its mouth other than what you want. Stop when their teeth are coming in If you are traing them to be hunting dogs start researching force fetch and someone qualified to help you with the process.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 am

I agree with Garrison. I've always had good luck with the tried-and-true method of putting the pup's crate behind me in a hallway, and tossing a rolled-up sock in the opposite direction. Most pups will chase the thrown sock down, pick it up, and then attempt to return to their crate with it. I intercept them along the way and make a big fuss over the "retrieve". Doesn't take long for the pup to realize that bringing the sock back makes the boss happy, and earns them a nice bout of praise along with a little ear-rubbing. You might start with the pup that is already retrieving enthusiastically, and place the non-retrieving up in another crate where he or she can watch the other one have all the fun, and reap all of the rewards. It will learn by watching, and after becoming a little jealous, it just might start emulating it's littermate. Lots of praise when things go right, maybe a small treat of some kind to help reinforce any positive behavior. Two or three reps is enough, stop while the pup still wants more, rather than going to the point of it getting bored.

Good luck...

CacaoandNilla

Post by CacaoandNilla » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:35 pm

I used half a knotted up sock in a hallway. I just kept it to a minimum so she didn't get bored

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:04 am

Keep it fun and exciting and make it her idea. Don't play tug. Put them away wanting more.

I start with a knotted up sock and try not to reach ofr it first thing. try loving them up when they bring it back to you. Then gently pull it from their mouth. Start overlaying the commands you want to use. They don't realize they ar ebeing trained to fetch. Start using different objects to retrieve. Balls, things with fuzz and feathers, etc. Eventually a fresh killed bird or frozen bird, etc.

Baby steps and keep it fun. Try not to make harch corrections when they are retrieving anything, IMO.

Take that for what it is worth.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:24 pm

A little piece of advise, if your dogs are going to be indoor dogs don't use socks or any household item. You don't want them going through your laundry when they get older!

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:23 am

My doggies know the difference - somehow - between a knotted up sock and a good one. Maybe it's because they are smart vizslas :lol: :lol: :lol:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520