Lost our local quail farm...

jhoughton

Lost our local quail farm...

Post by jhoughton » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:16 am

Well the local quail farm near our training area is shut down. They sold the land so it could be developed. Anyone know of a quail farm in North Georgia?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Lost our local quail farm...

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:37 pm

jhoughton wrote:Well the local quail farm near our training area is shut down. They sold the land so it could be developed. Anyone know of a quail farm in North Georgia?
There are several in North GA/AL. Check The Field and do some Google searching. The best birds I've ever had came from a place in Albertville, AL.

Best,

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:20 pm

There aren`t too many places around here that will have birds before Aug. We are getting them from Fl until they get some going here. Will let you know when we can get them locally.
brenda

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:47 am

Snips,

Thanks for the help on this.

On another topic I went to the Quail Forever meeting last night. They have chosen Berry as their WMA of choice and will be doing alot of work up there to help preserve the quail population. They were a real nice bunch of people and have some great intentions.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:17 am

Berry College? We drove thru there a couple of weeks ago, beautiful place. The people here in Ringgold will have 7 wk old in about 4 weeks. Go another I have not gotten ahold of.
brenda

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:53 am

Yes it is the Berry College WMA and it is beautiful. We had some good luck last year running after wild birds there. You need to work for them, but they are definitely there.

Last year when I was with Grant up there, we dropped all the dogs and went across the street from the training area. Not two minutes into the hunt birds exploded everywhere. We spent the rest of the afternoon trying to hunt the singles.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:57 pm

jhoughton wrote:Yes it is the Berry College WMA and it is beautiful. We had some good luck last year running after wild birds there. You need to work for them, but they are definitely there.

Last year when I was with Grant up there, we dropped all the dogs and went across the street from the training area. Not two minutes into the hunt birds exploded everywhere. We spent the rest of the afternoon trying to hunt the singles.
Jay! Shhhhhhhhh Thats our secret spot =)

grant
GDF Junkie

Re: Lost our local quail farm...

Post by grant » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:58 pm

jhoughton wrote:Well the local quail farm near our training area is shut down. They sold the land so it could be developed. Anyone know of a quail farm in North Georgia?
Some Beach! :x

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:31 am

Grant,

I went to the Quail Forever meeting on Tuesday and got some good locations for wild quail up on Berry. The guys I talked to were limiting out almost every time and finding some large coveys. I can;t wait til the season opens...

Regards,
Jay

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:18 pm

jhoughton wrote:Grant,

I went to the Quail Forever meeting on Tuesday and got some good locations for wild quail up on Berry. The guys I talked to were limiting out almost every time and finding some large coveys. I can;t wait til the season opens...

Regards,
Jay
Sure they didn't say allatoona wma?! :wink: That's like the quail mecca of quail hunting! I don't recal Berry having birds... 8)