Behavior Issues with 1.5 year GSP

kc95gt

Behavior Issues with 1.5 year GSP

Post by kc95gt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:51 am

For the first year and a half, our female GSP has been responsive to training and, after some basic e-collar training, was listening real well also on recalls. But lately her behavior has been really bad. She barks at everything and everyone, digs and tears up everything in the back yard, and worst of all, she's not listening well anymore. Everytime I take her to the woods or fields she takes off in the woods and won't listen to me or heal when I call her. Used to on the rare times she didn't listen, all she needed was a low shock (1.5 or 2 on Tritronics). Now it seems that the only thing that will bring her back is a higher 2.5 or 3. I don't like putting this much pressure on her out in the woods, but I can' take her hunting again this season or even just for the daily runs if she won't listen to me. Is her behavior some kind of teenage stubbornness? Any suggestions? I'm frustrated with the feeling that she's regressing.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Behavior Issues with 1.5 year GSP

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Sounds like her training has stalled out and she's bored. We do ring obedience when we don't have anything else to do.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:18 pm

She needs more basic obedience (heal, sit, down, come, stay) training, on leash, everyday for about 15 minutes.

After a couple of weeks go to the long line.

During this time do not use a shock collar.

Your patience will be tested to the limit. You really need to put in the time.

Taking her to an obedience class will be helpful.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:51 pm

reba wrote:She needs more basic obedience (heal, sit, down, come, stay) training, on leash, everyday for about 15 minutes.

After a couple of weeks go to the long line.

During this time do not use a shock collar.

Your patience will be tested to the limit. You really need to put in the time.

Taking her to an obedience class will be helpful.
Are the basics for the adult human's leadership in the pack in place? http://leerburg.com/groundwork.htm

If so, it's back to grade school for a refresher. Make it fun, lots of time spent, lots of praise, but be firm and consistent. 1.5 years does not mean grown up (unless you think you were grown up at 18 - I know I wasn't).

If she's tearing up the back yard, she has too much freedom. Might consider a kennel - or more crate time indoors, and yard time only when you can supervise her.

Also - how much exercise is she getting? At 1.5 years, she's capable of several miles each day. That might account for the obnoxious behavior in the yard right there.

Get her "listening well" at every step before progressing to the next...and if she regresses, go back again.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:06 pm

If my setters don't get sufficient hard running time they start to become a problem.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

hunterw/newhobby

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Just a thought but is she coming into heat. My GSP gets pretty stupid during her cycles.

kc95gt

Post by kc95gt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the responses. I do try and give her as much exercise as I can each day, but most days it's been over 100 degrees so I can't run her too long after work. I guess I just need to go back to the basics and work with her back on the leash and check cord.
Oh, and she's fixed so no heat.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:00 pm

kc95gt wrote:Thanks for the responses. I do try and give her as much exercise as I can each day, but most days it's been over 100 degrees so I can't run her too long after work. I guess I just need to go back to the basics and work with her back on the leash and check cord.
Oh, and she's fixed so no heat.
The heat is bad for sure. If she's not getting much exercise, that's some of the problem right there. Have to remember these dogs can go 40 miles in a day of hunting....

Sunrise is the only time I can run mine and then it's high 80's. Some folks use a treadmill at home....

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Good advice given on this thread.. as for your concern putting pressure on the dog.

If the dog doesn't react on a one or two, why use it? The dog listens to the three. Why not? That's the lowest level the dog reacts to so why not use it? The dog isn't going to hate you. The dog just needs to learn its a dog and it is not wild. You have expectations and as long as its reasonable make the dog obey them.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:19 pm

I would guess that the most likely issue is not enough exercise. With this heat it is tough to get it done.
At that age they have a ton of energy, thats going to come out one way or another :D
Steve

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:38 pm

She's going through adolescence and is testing you. Now is the time to go back to basics. Short drills, no e-collar, on commands she knows well. I wouldn't work on any new commands until she has the old ones down pat--again. More exercise would certainly help, but there is not much you can do about the heat. Do you have a place where she can swim?

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:22 pm

IMO, the heat alone can make them a little crazy. I do agree with Ultra though on the use of the e-collar. As long as the dog knows the command and has been properly conditioned to the collar, I will use the minimum setting that he responds to. If I have to turn it up a notch or two, so be it. Chances are, after a few times, you will be able to turn it back down.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:28 pm

birddogger wrote:IMO, the heat alone can make them a little crazy. I do agree with Ultra though on the use of the e-collar. As long as the dog knows the command and has been properly conditioned to the collar, I will use the minimum setting that he responds to. If I have to turn it up a notch or two, so be it. Chances are, after a few times, you will be able to turn it back down.

Charlie
I would like to add that I would not give commands needlessly. I don't give commands just to see if he is going to obey [not saying you do] and I try to let them burn some of their energy off before I give any command if I can.
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

kc95gt

Post by kc95gt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. The point I was trying to make about the e-collar setting is that, up until now the low setting have always worked. But lately she is so distracted that only the higher ones seem to get her attention anymore.
Anyway, the last few days I've been taking her out and running her till she starts getting tired (temperatures have been lower with all the rain), then I put her on a check cord or leash and we go through basic commands without the use of the e-collar. It seems to be working pretty good so far.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:34 pm

If you have lakes or ponds around have her go swimming.
You in the Canoe her in the water.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

rollick

Post by rollick » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:57 am

She's a teenager! But seriously, she's a teenager. It's been my experience with a number of different breeds of dogs that you have a beautifully trained dog, the you wake up one day, and it seems like said dog has forgotten everything. Then you remember/realize said dog is between 14 and 18 months or so (it's not an exact science) and it all makes sense. Don't despair. (And perhaps think back on when you were between 14 and 18 :D .) It won't last forever.