Random Question(s)

trasmuson3

Random Question(s)

Post by trasmuson3 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:20 am

These are some random questions, and first one is:

How much do you feed your puppies? I feed my 10 week old GSP pup about 2 cups a day, is that about normal?

And second question is even more random:

In your experience, have you noticed if male dogs can hold their bladder longer than female dogs? My pup is a female and she is doing great at not having accidents in the house and is being able to go through the night with only having to be taken out about once each night compared to three times a night when I first got her, but it seems like when she is out of her kennel, she is always running to the door. I dont know if its cause she likes being outside or not, but every time she goes to the bathroom too. Is it just this stage and age of life? I'm not worried about anything, just curious...

DogNewbie

Re: Random Question(s)

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:50 am

Interesting question. I have a male and when I first got him I took him out for a night pee once. After that he held it all night without a problem. That being said, I was always taken aback by how long he would pee as a puppy. I timed him some times and he'd literally pee for 2+ minutes. Just little squirts at a time. It was really goofy. He still kinda does that but not for the same amount of time that he used to.

As for feeding, I just started off following the package directions and then adjusted once I saw the pup was looking a little thin. I've been feeding my pup over twice the recommended daily amount for almost a year now and he's not over weight at all.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 am

I give pups full feed and I have no idea wich sex of dog (male or female) can hold thier pee longer.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 am

I am pretty sure in all of the animal kingdom the female has the weeker bladder.
Why do I know this? When ever I make my wife laugh uncontrollably or scare the crap/pee out of her, she always said you just made me pee a little. :lol: :mrgreen:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:27 am

Reason #2.... Female bathrooms always have a long line up while men's never has a line up. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cptn

Post by cptn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:47 am

I feed my 15 week old Brittany pup 2-2.5 cups a day! His weight is right on the money. I feed him .5 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon when he is most active. And . 5-1 in the evening, the latter if he's still bouncing off walls.

And both my girls and boys have had bladders of steel.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:16 pm

some female puppies come down with a bladder infection and thus seem to pee a lot. If this is the case, you will notice she will squat and just dribble a little bit of urine, very often.

And if that is the case, a bit of cranberry juice in her water (and lots of water intake) will help with the infection. Or a trip to the vet for some antibiotics. Unfortunately though, that lots of fluids needed to clear the infection, also has to come out of her, thus making it a bit of a vicious circle!

Puppies! Ain't they fun???
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:14 pm

hahaha Thank you for all the replies, I should have known there would be such responses. Makes for a good laugh though.
fuzznut wrote:some female puppies come down with a bladder infection and thus seem to pee a lot. If this is the case, you will notice she will squat and just dribble a little bit of urine, very often.

And if that is the case, a bit of cranberry juice in her water (and lots of water intake) will help with the infection. Or a trip to the vet for some antibiotics. Unfortunately though, that lots of fluids needed to clear the infection, also has to come out of her, thus making it a bit of a vicious circle!

Puppies! Ain't they fun???
That could possibly be what my pup has, she runs all over the yard and dribbles a tiny bit. I'll have to try the cranberry juice in water...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:17 pm

As an old woman I can tell you that cranberry juice does not work after the fact but before. Drinking cranberry juice weekly will keeps a woman's interior PH level healthy.
Drinking it after the infection comes , does nothing. jmo Antibiotics are then needed.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:59 pm

I can't answer the bladder question and I don't think would answer anyhow , even if I did know. That is a loaded question.

As far as the feed thing is concerned, I have always free fed my pups. If the bowl is getting low, I fill it. A dog will eat until it is no longer hungry. When it is hungry again it will eat some more.

The little stinkers seem to grow in spurts. They eat, and eat and start to get chubby...and then they grow some and get all skinny and gangly again. Then they eat and start getting chubby and then they grow some more....

Cotton Pickin Poop machines. :lol: :lol:

RayG

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:13 am

my female pup had an infection, see wanted out alot, and would try to pee every time, get a urine sample, bring it to your vet, they give you some pills, problem fixed, that is if she has an infection. use a ladle that the easyist way to get a sample sneek up behind her, slide the ladle under her when she going, now i said the easyist way, but i found it wasn't that easy :)

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 am

Some of it may just be marking activity. My male wouldrun to the door go out and sniff here and squirt sniff there and squirt then maybe 10-15 minutes later go someplace else and take a long pee. My females sometimes run around for 20 minutes outside before they go or do something similar to what the male did.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I've always free-fed my dogs. They eat as much as they need throughout the day (of course leaving plenty of room for mooching people food!). Has worked well for me.

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:52 am

So instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would just add some more random questions to this one.

First question is, my pup is now just over three months. She is really growing a lot physically and personality wise. She has really started to enjoy her kennel finally after about 3 weeks of heck with her screaming all night, but I still take her out once a night and than she wakes up so early in the morning. I'm not sure if she would be able to make it all the way through the night, however I think she would be able to, I just prefer not to have to clean up a mess in the morning if I dont have have to so I still take her out. On average, how old are your pups when they finally start sleeping all the way through the night?

And one more question, how can I get her to sleep in longer? It seems like her alarm goes off at 5 every morning and than she starts crying in her kennel if left in there. Should I just try to ignore it and that will show her that she needs to stay in there a little longer? I take her to bed about 10:30 every night and than let her out at 3 every night so I dont think that its because she has to go to the bathroom again.

Thanks for the relies.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 am

trasmuson3 wrote:So instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would just add some more random questions to this one.

First question is, my pup is now just over three months. She is really growing a lot physically and personality wise. She has really started to enjoy her kennel finally after about 3 weeks of heck with her screaming all night, but I still take her out once a night and than she wakes up so early in the morning. I'm not sure if she would be able to make it all the way through the night, however I think she would be able to, I just prefer not to have to clean up a mess in the morning if I dont have have to so I still take her out. On average, how old are your pups when they finally start sleeping all the way through the night?

And one more question, how can I get her to sleep in longer? It seems like her alarm goes off at 5 every morning and than she starts crying in her kennel if left in there. Should I just try to ignore it and that will show her that she needs to stay in there a little longer? I take her to bed about 10:30 every night and than let her out at 3 every night so I dont think that its because she has to go to the bathroom again.

Thanks for the relies.
My pup was sleeping all night at 10 weeks. He'd cry in the mornings for a few weeks but if you ignore it he'll eventually understand he only gets out when you get up. If you do it correct now, you'll have a dog that respects your sleeping habits later :)

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:15 am

my roomate has a 11 week old gsp. He sleeps all through the night, until around five in the morning. I think it has something to do with it getting light outside and waking the pup up.