Warning: Blue-green algae can be deadly

GWPtyler

Warning: Blue-green algae can be deadly

Post by GWPtyler » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:39 am

An article from Delta Waterfowl. Scary stuff. Be careful when training your dog in the water this summer: http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/media/del ... -algae.php

winchestermodel50

Re: Warning: Blue-green algae can be deadly

Post by winchestermodel50 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:21 pm

I would be careful around fed catfish ponds. Early Summer and Fall harvests seem to coincide with algae blooms in these waters and they are already high in nitrates. In some respects a catfish pond is kind of like a feedlot. You feed the animals and they produce nitrates. I've had some bad experience in this area. Two years in a row I lost a dog, and the next year, nearly lost a dog ultimately diagnosed as kidney failure. In all three cases the vets couldn't come up with a sickness or cause despite sending off blood samples. This was before the algae issue got any real national attention.
I suspected it had something to do with the water as that was about all three dogs had in common. I keep the dogs out of the water when it gets that green coloration and haven't had a problem since. All three dogs were B & W shorthairs. None of my liver and whites had problems. That may or may not have been a coincidence.

Runningdog

Re: Warning: Blue-green algae can be deadly

Post by Runningdog » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:34 am

Lake Erie itself has a big bloom going on now 4 miles out ofshore reports the bloom, last year it got so bad it looked like pea soup mixing with the prop!!!