Winter roading alternative...

Gertie

Winter roading alternative...

Post by Gertie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:55 pm

I know it's a long time out but I was talking with a friend who has a husky that he does skijoring with and it sounded like an interesting alternative to roading. Has anyone tried this? Just curious how it worked out for you using a bird dog. Also, can you think of any good reason it's a bad idea?
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

pointshootretrieve

Re: Winter roading alternative...

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:26 pm

It all depends on the individual dog. My Pointer would take you for 30 minutes of white knuckled heck before getting down to a reasonable pace, my PP would be OK. I prefer a dog sled in the winter, it is much safer for all parties involved :wink:

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:15 pm

pointshootretrieve wrote:My Pointer would take you for 30 minutes of white knuckled heck before getting down to a reasonable pace :wink:
:lol: That's what I was afraid of. Still sounds kinda fun though. I'll have to bump up my insurance coverage I guess if I decide to try it.

Here's a video for those who have no idea what we're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On81IW32Nys
'Gertie'

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:53 pm

I've trained a dog for bikejoring - same demands on the dog basically, but in the city a few more controls for safety purposes.

Other than making sure the dog is an a adult, I sure don't see the disadvantages. I think you'd want to make sure the dog's OB is solid since they are in an "out front" position and possibly could take that for practicing a dominant role. Other than that, it's a phenomenal outlet for dog and trainer, IMO. Hard to argue against more time spent outdoors with your pal.

Some of the top sled dogs in some races are bird dogs (mostly pointers and GSP's). They are valued for their heart, speed, and drive.

Last edited by AzDoggin on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Been considering it, eventually in the future.

Not that I know crap about bird dogs, this being my first, but I lived in AK for a while and love sledding and skijouring.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:16 pm

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:49 pm

The only reason I can think of not to do it is because that seems like alot of time taken up that I could be hunting my bird dog.....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:09 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:The only reason I can think of not to do it is because that seems like alot of time taken up that I could be hunting my bird dog.....

Jim
I hear ya. Only problem is that chukar season ends mid-late January and winter lasts until April around here :D
'Gertie'

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:37 am

AZ: How much time did it take to get the dogs used to doing that BIkejouring?
How far in front are the dogs?
What are the added controls you have for safety, that you mention? Seems the dogs could still turn off into traffic or a snowmobile.
Could you set up wheels on that rig?
How stable is the whole set up. Certainly more than skijouring, I would think.
How do you keep them moving without running over them which could hurt you more than them?

Thanks alot. Been trying to find a good way to road now that ATV use is limited around my place and the only real place to go is a camp road and main road.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:17 am

Hey Rick, once you start to get into it, the whole deal just gets easier and you find ways to make it work.

Here's an example of a setup for bikejoring - but any old contraption with wheels that is fairly light would do:

After having a pretty decent train wreck on a bike with a strong, wild dog, I learned that one of the most important tools on your bike is good-working BRAKES!!! :D Need a helmet too.

Something like this would be a lot safer for the human:

As far as controls, basically it's just basic OB in the dog. I actually first got into bikejoring to provide more exercise for a rescue mutt that we were socializing to get rehomed. He was an extremely dominant male - loved to pull out front. I probably started him pulling the bike a little earlier in the training than I should have, and we had a few incidents. By controls, I meant a reliable "whoa" (yep - stop and stand still), understanding of "on by" (don't want the dog chasing cats, rabbits, whatever while pulling you across the country). They learn the turn commands "gee" and "haw" naturally - you can even practice that when walking them each time you turn. They pick it up really quickly. If I had a dog that was e-collar conditioned, that would be a great tool for the "on by" command...

Here's a link to basic training commands - I never used all of them: http://www.skijornow.com/basic.html

Safety stuff: http://www.skijornow.com/safety.html

Best harness for the dogs - cheap too! http://nooksackracing.com/harnesses.html

The hardcore folks use this setup for their bikes, but I just kept the rope in my hand so I could release it in an emergency: http://nooksackracing.com/bikejoring.html

That dog we had really, really got into it. So much so that the family we adopted him out too uses him as a pulling dog for winter backpacking, and as a skijoring dog on Mount Humphries in northern AZ. They send us pics every year, and it's pretty cool to see the dog doing what he loves to do.

It's good clean fun and I'll be doing it with my next dog too. :D

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 am

I already have the harnesses.
I need to look into the means of pulling my large a@@. Hope I am not to much of a load. :wink:
Rick

Rick

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Isonychia - finally got that video to play (my internet sucks sometimes). That's great! I'm totally going to try it this winter. Is that you in the video?
'Gertie'

LuckyDog

Post by LuckyDog » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Dogsledding with bird dogs is a heck of a lot of fun and a great way of keeping them in shape through the dead of winter. If your dogs will pull in a roading harness they will pull in a sled dog harness. Here's a video of a 10 mile run my shorthairs put down last winter up here in MN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rvXtUMT ... ata_player

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:11 am

Nice Video:
I see you have a single dog in the back instead of the front, is there a particular reason for that.
I have seen others with a single lead dog in front.
What do you do when a Snowmobile is coming the other way or from behind?
Thanks,
Rick

Rick

LuckyDog

Post by LuckyDog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Hey Rick,
I tried posting a reply to your ??s yesterday but for some reason didn't go thru.
It dosn't really matter where you place the single dog. Each dog tends to have their differences and you place them where they run the best usually the stronger pullers up front. My dogs are driven by what they encounter along the trail. As far as snowmobiles I haven't had much trouble by staying off the main trails and running early mornings. I can usually hear them coming and stop to let them pass

LuckyDog

Post by LuckyDog » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 am

Rick,
I shift them around until I find where they work the best. I think with these dogs more so than Alaskan breeds they all need experience pulling in the lead. They are driven by what they encounter on the trail and are always running to see what is up ahead or around the corner. The lead dogs always have the best view and the more they experience on the trail such as deer, turkeys, etc. the harder and faster they go. As far as snowmobiles I don't have much trouble. I can usually hear them coming and pull over if need be. I also avoid the busy times and stay on the side trails.

John

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:44 pm

I ad a guy a long time ago bring me a conditioning sled for sled dogs. It's got wheel's for running most anytime. He wanted his dog condition's with that thing and after "bleep" near killing myself, I went back to running them in the hills around here. I did keep the harness and used it hooked to a car tire and had them pull it up hill on a gravel road. The dog that did best with it was my old Lefty. The war dept drove, I sat on the tail gate and Lefty chased us up hill like the thing wasn't even on him. Running in the hills around here was great. But I don't do the hills so well any more.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 pm

There are a few people up here who do it with their pointers and setters. I got the harnesses but haven't rigged it up yet. Check out wild apple kennels blog. He has some tips on there.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:19 pm

I skijor, bikejor, canicross with my two pointers. I rigged them up with two harnesses and a two dog clip (1 foot) to the back of the harnesses with the lead to that, I also have a clip going from flat collar to flat collar (1 foot) . The lead I use for skijoring is 15' and the 6' bungee lead as it is difficult for me to stop/slow up should something go awry and X-country skis are long. When I hear a machine coming I slow them to a stop and bring them to heel. It's kind of a pain on the weekends when there are a lot of sleds out. For bikejoring I just use a 6' bungee lead tied...yes tied... to my handlebars. As for critters in the trail, they perk up but the amount of trash breaking I did with them they actually slow down a tad. Canicross, I use an old style treestand safety harness (seatbelt style) around my waist and the bungee lead through that; it's basically canine-assisted-cross country running. All are fun. Canicross is good for both dog and handler. IMO bikejoring is best for the dogs as I feather the break and can really see them use their muscles and apply pressure accordingly to the terrain substrate and grade. Hope this helps.