My dogs Kennel

nebraskabirdman

My dogs Kennel

Post by nebraskabirdman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Question for ya! I have a 1 year old English Field Cocker and she lives outdors in a 6x6 kennel on a concrete pad. She has a cheap doghouse for now that she can get in if it rains, but I plan on buying her a nice insulated one for our cold Nebraska winters. The roof is also covered with a heavy duty tarp for shade. I would like to get her some type of sleeping bed or pad she can lay on to get her off the concrete ever once in a while, but everything I've tried, shes shredded in about 1 day.

Do I even bother with a pad or do u think shell be fine on the concrete? It doesn't seem to bother her yet, but she is still very young and I don't want it to ruin her pads or joints? Whats everyones opinon on this?
If you can read this, Thank a Teacher
If you can read this in English, Thank a Veteran
OIF Vet. U.S. Army
Combat Engineer

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: My dogs Kennel

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 pm

You can cut a nice size square out of a rubber horse mat or the whole mat. Or maybe even a Kuranda bed. The ballistic cloth probably wouldn't be bothered too much being outdoors.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:00 pm

The Kuranda bed is great idea and there is also a solid vinyl material that looks really good for outdoor use. An English Cocker would do well on the medium size.

I have a ballistic nylon Kuranda bed and it wears really well and cleans up easily.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:13 pm

I use pine shavings in the dog house. Dogs can't shred shavings

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:46 pm

In the summer they like the coolness of the concrete but in the winter I would use the rubber matt and then some type of bedding on top of it. I have always had problems with the dogs not leaving a blanket or any type of cloth bedding in their house plus if you nave a chewer it isn't safe.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:26 pm

mcbosco wrote:The Kuranda bed is great idea and there is also a solid vinyl material that looks really good for outdoor use. An English Cocker would do well on the medium size.

I have a ballistic nylon Kuranda bed and it wears really well and cleans up easily.
1+

Allamakee1

Post by Allamakee1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Started out buying a hay bale and adding hay as needed for insulation, but didn't want to mess with hay anymore, so I stapled spare squares of carpet to the bottom and sides of the kennel. She tore them apart in about a day, so I just ended up stapling a rubber mat to the wooden floor. Seems to work. If its supposed to be really cold then I might still add some hay.