Just got the collar-making stuff in!

Stoneface

Just got the collar-making stuff in!

Post by Stoneface » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Yeah! Got home from work and four big packages were waiting for me. Pink, red, green, yellow, orange biothane (coated webbing) fluorescent strapping with tons of tools and supplies. I'll be turning out 1.5" collars just as soon as I get a work area cleared out in the shop. If anyone is interested I'm charging $15 per collar without a nameplate or $20 with a name plate. These are 1.5" fluorescent field collars with heavy-duty hardware and rivets.
Last edited by Stoneface on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stoneface

Re: Just got the dayglo stuff in!

Post by Stoneface » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Someone sent me a message and said they thought my prices were too high, so I thought I'd just explain a little to make sure no one thinks I'm trying to price gouge.

The collars I'm making are in orange, pink, red, blue, green or yellow and are 1.5" thickness of about the best material you can buy. Not just the coated material is the best on the market, but the hardware and rivets are second to none. The hardware is all cast nickel-plated brass and the rivets are what you call tubular rivets which make the collars practically infallable so you don't have to worry about a collar coming undone while a dog is hitting the end of a check cord or pulling against a tie-out chain, trying to get to you in the field with your new pup. Someone wouldn't just pay for the increased quality, but I also have increased cost from the increased quality, so I have to pass on my increase in expense to make a buck. All this for a basic collar costs $15 which isn't that bad considering you're really never going to have to replace it and there's virtually no chance you'll ever lose a dog. Plus, if you were to buy one from me then order a name plate from someone else, by the time you paid for shipping and all you'd be in for about another $5, which would bring your total to about $20 which is what I charge for a collar with a name plate.

Just wanted to clear it up.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 am

How large are the nameplates, and are you gonna make a collar soon for your dog(s) so we can see a prototype or finished product, because I am interested honestly.

Corry

RSA

Post by RSA » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:28 am

Yeah, post some pics once you've got a few made, would you be happy to ship to South Africa?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:33 am

Stoneface wrote:Someone sent me a message and said they thought my prices were too high, so I thought I'd just explain a little to make sure no one thinks I'm trying to price gouge.

The collars I'm making are in orange, pink, red, blue, green or yellow and are 1.5" thickness of about the best material you can buy. Not just the coated material is the best on the market, but the hardware and rivets are second to none. The hardware is all cast nickel-plated brass and the rivets are what you call tubular rivets which make the collars practically infallable so you don't have to worry about a collar coming undone while a dog is hitting the end of a check cord or pulling against a tie-out chain, trying to get to you in the field with your new pup. Someone wouldn't just pay for the increased quality, but I also have increased cost from the increased quality, so I have to pass on my increase in expense to make a buck. All this for a basic collar costs $15 which isn't that bad considering you're really never going to have to replace it and there's virtually no chance you'll ever lose a dog. Plus, if you were to buy one from me then order a name plate from someone else, by the time you paid for shipping and all you'd be in for about another $5, which would bring your total to about $20 which is what I charge for a collar with a name plate.

Just wanted to clear it up.

You'll never please everybody. Find the seed of truth in criticism and throw the rest away.
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:36 am

I have made some collars and equipment for myself using similar material. I think some of the criticism in your pricing may be coming from some confusion about your materials. My understanding is that dayglo and biothane are two different things. I could be wrong about this, please correct me if I am wrong. In my opinion biothane is far superior to dayglo material, and I think biothane is what you are using. I have horse harnesses made out of biothane and I think they are far superior to leather. I would like to see some pictures, I may be interested in some of these collars. $20 is certainly more than I would normally pay, but from your description these are some heavy duty collars.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:55 pm

your prices are only to high if nobody buys them, i'd like to see picture of your collars, i may want one

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Sure thing, guys. I'll post just as soon as I can. All this new equipment is still in the boxes, I opened them to look at everything, but they're stacked on the recliner right now. Been busy, but I'll get a new work station set up in the shop tomorrow and turn out a few. I already have eight sold! Biothane's reputation does precede itself.

Rinker, I do believe you're right. I was wrong. I'm sure you're aware that Biothane makes the solid-fill material and the transparent material. I'd always thought the transparent was universally refered to as dayglo. Sorry 'bout that! :oops:

Just to clarify, the PM I got was written very politely. He (or she?) said at first glance it looks like I'm selling the same that you can buy anywhere else for over twice as much and that I may want to expand. I went back to this thread and I think he was right. It was pretty vague. I just didn't want anyone to think I got a PM chewing me out, he was just being friendly.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Pictures please !

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:15 am

Any updates on the products? I am pretty interested in the orange one with a nameplate :D

Corry

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:41 am

I am also interested in one with a nameplate. Not that I am questioning your talent, but I would like to see a picture to know what I am paying for, please.
Thank you

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:12 pm

I am also curious to see what these look like.
may be intrested in a few.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Stoneface,

Thanks for the collars. I got one orange and one red they are nice big D ring collars. I'm very pleased, thanks again Stoneface! :D

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:36 am

still waitn on pictures/sounds like you have atleast one happy customer :)

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

I have been talking with Stoneface off and on about a collar for my new pup for awhile, I ordered with an odd request. The collar came in today and it is great. The only downside to it, is that I have to wait for my pup to get bigger to fit into it :D but I ordered the orange so it could be his hunting collar. It is very well made and feels very sturdy. I feel these are very much so worth the money and would recommend them to friends. Thanks again Stoneface!

Corry

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Sorry for the postpone, guys. I could have swore I posted a video of them. Maybe it just didn't take. Here is a link to the video I made of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54lZH9Ms ... ature=plcp

------------------------------------------
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:03 am

Got ours in the mail. Sturdy, and big. Looks great. Great collars to have for trialing. (yellow and orange)
Thanks Rowdy

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:42 am

Rowdy I might be interested in a roading harness if you ever get into that field.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 am

Rowdy, thanks for the collars. They are perfect.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:11 am

Glad to see that the collars are starting to blow up for Rowdy!

Corry

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:13 am

Yeah, a lot of people are showing interest. I'd like to take credit for it all, but it really comes down to the material. Just really great supplies and equipment.

Chris, I've got my eye on a sewing machine and if I ever get one I may try my hand at a harness with padding sewed on the inside. I did make one harness, once, from leather, but it didn't come out like I wanted. Cam out pretty okay, but not great. It was for a search and rescue dog.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:58 am

topher40 wrote:Rowdy I might be interested in a roading harness if you ever get into that field.
+1 I would rather support the little guy vs the bigger businesses. Let us know when you decide to get into the roading harness business. I would even buy one of your first ones just so you can practice and make a little money for your time. Im not expecting a machine made harness, man made has defrcts. You understand dogs and for that I would buy yours.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:11 am

If you guys want a roading harness, let's make a deal. It will take me a while because I'll have to feel my way through it and my schedule is busy, but if you tell me what color you want I'll get started on it and if it comes out half decent I'll eMail you a photo and we'll talk about price. The thing is with this much material and time I couldn't sell it on the cheap like the collars. But, if after it was finished you decided you didn't want it there wouldn't be any obligation to buy.

Let me know!
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Stoneface wrote:If you guys want a roading harness, let's make a deal. It will take me a while because I'll have to feel my way through it and my schedule is busy, but if you tell me what color you want I'll get started on it and if it comes out half decent I'll eMail you a photo and we'll talk about price. The thing is with this much material and time I couldn't sell it on the cheap like the collars. But, if after it was finished you decided you didn't want it there wouldn't be any obligation to buy.

Let me know!
PM sent

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:25 am

Collars in the video look fantastic. I'll be contacting you soon

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks, man. I'll keep an eye out for your message.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:01 am

I am still interested in a collar and was wondering if you have ever tried to put some reflective tape onto them. I bought one from cabelas but I didn't notice until I ripped the tags off that it doesn't have any d-rings. I like the reflective collar because I live in town and in case she gets out at night, I would like to have something reflective on her. Her collar now is about 18". Let me know how much and where I need to send the money too.

Thanks
John

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:24 am

just watched the video. Clean your finger nails. :lol:

Stoneface

Re: Just got the collar-making stuff in!

Post by Stoneface » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:37 am

I know, Jason, I know! I work inside, at a desk all day, so on the weekend I'm I get elbow-deep in grease, mud, dirt and dogs and as much as I can.

I don't have any with a reflective strip right now. I can get the material, but I have to buy it by the 100' roll and it can get expensive. The translucent blaze orange is either fluorescent or darned close. The blaze SofTouch material shows up great when light hits it. Here are some photos as points of reference.

This is Moxy wearing a yellow Competitor, 1.5":

Here's Cory Painter's sweet French Britt, Ellie, with a SofTouch lead and a Competitor collar:

Pricing coming to you in a PM.

cohanzick creek

Re: Just got the collar-making stuff in!

Post by cohanzick creek » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:29 am

The collars looked nice, might have to get one or two
cc