stubborn GSP

WillieELk78GSP

stubborn GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 pm

I have a 13 week old GSP, I am new to Gspdog and gundog in general, this is my first dog.... I have been working with her on her here call and stay but she is very stubborn and won't listen unless I have a treat for her, I don't want her to get used to getting a treat everytime she does something as simple as "here" or "stay", any suggestions? She thinks its OK when I am calling her she runs away and will just run around and circle me at 90mph, I don't want her to get loose and get hit by a car, so I leash her now anytime we are outside, I want to give her some freedom but I can't trust her yet!! Thanks all
God Bless

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: stubborn GSP

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Go somewhere safe, like a fenced tennis court, and walk off and leave her when she takes off. Keep a checkcord on her, too. She's too young for stay.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:19 am

Like casey said, get a 30ft or so check cord so you have some control over the pup, and it still has some room to roam. Let the pup be a pup for awhile. One of the best training tricks is to train in the morning and use the dog food as the "treat" and you can get the morning feed in during the workout. Also, if you are working the pup too long it is gonna go bonkers, so keep the training sessions short and leave them on a high note. 1-2 sessions a day of 15 min or so as a pup. And if you are working on retrieves try not to do more than 5 in the beginning.

Corry

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:57 am

Just an observation, but I was always of the opinion that a GSP that wasn't stubborn wasn't bred well enough. :)

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 am

Nick Miles wrote:Just an observation, but I was always of the opinion that a GSP that wasn't stubborn wasn't bred well enough. :)
Thats why I mentioned the short training sessions as a pup, maybe there is some over training going on and the pup is acting stubborn due to burnout.

Corry

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:18 am

She's not stubborn; she's still a baby. Lighten up. Relax . Enjoy.
Being frustrated at this stage does not bode well for the future. Pup can see your displeasure.
Most important thing right now is socialization/ bonding.

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/dogsocialization.pdf

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/dog-train ... pment.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:34 am

+1 Sharon.

Take the dog somewhere safe and let it go.....being your first birddog I can understand your reluctance.....but if you can't allow the dog
to be independent your going to end up with a velcro dog. This is the time where you would take fun walks somewhere safe and let the dog
learn to be independent and build a love of running and exploring its surroundings.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:57 am

Sharon wrote:She's not stubborn; she's still a baby. Lighten up. Relax . Enjoy.
Being frustrated at this stage does not bode well for the future. Pup can see your displeasure.
Most important thing right now is socialization/ bonding.

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/dogsocialization.pdf

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/dog-train ... pment.html
+1. Good stuff, Sharon.

Pup is an infant. You wouldn't expect a one year old child to come to you every time either.

So, treats are fine. Rather than expecting the pup to respond to your command, pair the command with what the pup is already doing so he learns from association. When pup is coming in to you say, "here" when he's almost there...every time. Also, try kneeling down and clapping your hands - but don't command "here" unless it is clear that the pup is coming to you already. You don't want him to learn that "here" means do whatever you want. Treats are fine at this stage, but many don't use them. Lastly, when you want the pup to come with you, walk away from him. He'll usually follow. Enjoy the dog - these times will flash by.