Question and more Questions

RD_Archer

Question and more Questions

Post by RD_Archer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:27 am

I'm if you didnt know currently deployed ot Afghanistan. I'm looking to try and get another gun dog near the time I get back but the problem is there seem to be so many kennels out there that I'm having troubles narrowing it down. I want to start participating in field trials and hunt test and am looking for a good line to do this with. To further complicate things I'm torn between English Setters (Llewellin), GSP, and Brits (American or French). To be honest I feel like a crack head when I get around gun dogs and have just as much fun watching them work as hunting and killing birds over them. At times it feels like a crime to walk in and flush birds so I find myself taking a few extra moments to appreciate the dog work. I may also be moving to alaska soon so a dog that can work the grouse woods as well would be nice.

If you have some pros and cons of any of these breeds or can point me in the direction of a good kennel. I will be back in the states around February of next year. Any help would be appreciated.

What I would like is a dog from a good bloodline (yes I know that isnt everything).
I have a family and my hunting dogs become members of that family so temperment is a issue
I'm a foot hunter so a dog that works in open country out to 200 but also has the ability to work long and hard
The remainder of the list includes all he things I always hear people describe (drive, birdiness, style and ect.)

JIM K

Re: Question and more Questions

Post by JIM K » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 am

from what i understand if you are going to do that COVERDOG trail dog thing, you should get pup from breeder that does that.

hunting grouse for 46 yrs,dog i like is ENGLISH SETTER.
i like lewellins.some like RYMAN setters.

here is 2 breeders in pa that have good setters.

http://www.lynnhillsetters.com has lewllins

decoverly has rymans

saying all that, my dog of choice for ME is now SMALL MUNSTERLANDER. :wink:

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:20 am

Britts are pretty good in AK. Jim McCann runs his britts up in Fairbanks.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Where will you be permently residing?

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Avoid llewellin if your looking to trial, I own one and love him for hunting but he is not competitive in trials. You have an equal chance of getting a competitive dog going with a well bred english setter, Brittany or GSP (in my opinion), as long as you buy from trial line of each breed. If you really want to have fun don't discount an English pointer, I think you have the best odds of getting a good one with a EP than with any other breed.

RD_Archer

Post by RD_Archer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Meller wrote:Where will you be permently residing?

I would say somewhere in the the midwest but my wife will have close to 6 years left once I retire so its hard to say.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:36 pm

RD,
First I would like to thank you for your service. To me there is nothing better than to watch a good dog work, it truly is poetry in motion. I myself am in the middle of searching for a dog after having to put down my english pointer last fall. I am pretty much set on a german shorthair, I see you have that as one of your dogs on your list. Most of my hunting is for grouse, which can be a difficult bird for some dogs, the most important thing for a good grouse dog is his nose, all the breeds you mentioned are great dogs. Make sure when you talk to a good breeder you let him know what your intentions are, if you want a dog with strong retrieve, or water drive, or a close hunter, etc, etc. A good breeder knows his dogs and can recommend a breeding to fit your style. Two great breeders for the gsp are: Top Gun in Iowa, and Willow Creek in mn. They are great guys to talk to and would help you find what you are looking for. If you do move to the midwest give me a shout maybe we can go watch our puppies run.
Take care, and stay safe
Robert

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 am

Just saying there is a lot more to be considered, depending on where you reside, such as heat tolerant, type of burr's that will get caught in fur, which do you like looking at the most a short tail or a long tail; just to mention a few; any of the breeds you mentioned can get along in the house and field.
Enjoy your search. :)

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:08 am

I think you'll be able to fulfill all your needs with any of those breeds if you do your homework and find the right breeding. Personally, I think those setters look awesome in the woods. GSP are hard to beat in the fields though. If I were you, I'd figure out which breed I liked to look at the most and what climate I'll most likely live in and then start doing my research.

RD_Archer

Post by RD_Archer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 pm

I really love the look and style of the GSP. I'm currently looking at different kennels of GSP to see who I like the best. From what I have found there are several that are really good and just as many that are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

When people say that a ES remembers everything negative in training what are they talking about?