Best dog for a new gal

Gertie

Best dog for a new gal

Post by Gertie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:35 pm

A friend of mine is considering getting a pointing breed. She has never owned a dog before. Of course I'm partial to setters but I have limited experience with different breeds so I'm not sure I'm the best to advise her. So guys and gals which breed, in your opinion, would be the a) easiest to get along with b) easiest to train c) get her hooked :wink: ?
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Best dog for a new gal

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Brittany
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:54 pm

You are correct about her getting a Setter.
Got to go with the best right out of the gate. :D
Steve

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Gertie wrote:A friend of mine is considering getting a pointing breed. She has never owned a dog before. Of course I'm partial to setters but I have limited experience with different breeds so I'm not sure I'm the best to advise her. So guys and gals which breed, in your opinion, would be the a) easiest to get along with b) easiest to train c) get her hooked :wink: ?
The answer is so subjective, you will never get much of a consensus.

It really comes down to what your friend wants. Does she want a large dog or a small dog? Long haired or shorthaired? What activities does she plan for the dog? Does she have a large or small yard or no yard(apartment)?

And for the easiest to get along, train, get hooked, etc.? I would submit that those questions are going to based more on the individual dog she chooses than the breed in general. Most well bred dogs that come from reputable breeders are going to be good dogs. Plus, if your friend deals with a good breeder regardless of breed type that breeder can help direct her to a pupppy that would be a good fit.

She should just choose a few breeds that interest her and try and speak with some owners and/or breeders about the breed. Plus, if she is able to see some in person that will also help her to choose.

-Hondo

codym

Post by codym » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Pointer gets my vote for a pointing dog, and if she doesn't have to have a pointer I believe a lab is a great first dog.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Brittany
She wants a dog that points... ;-)

GSP - more forgiving on beginners.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:38 pm

I think GSP's and Britt's are good choice for a first dog. GSP's can be pretty hyper, Britt's a bit more laid back.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Any of the breeds mentioned have hyper and/or hardheaded dogs and calm and/or biddable dogs. Tell her to find a breed she likes the look of, then do the research to find a dog that will be easy to work with.

I've seen Britts, GSP's, EP's, and Setter's at all ends of the spectrum.

One thing is consistent though: these are all very active, athletic dogs that require a great deal of outdoor exercise and activity. Make sure she knows what she's getting into.

Deuce

Best dog for a new gal

Post by Deuce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:16 pm

My fiancé started on GSPs, we have 2 that she got well before she met me... As people have stated, she needs to know the energy levels, we are always training for something so the dogs are always along for the run...

That said, I'm partial to ugly dogs, show her some pup pictures of the bearded ones, she'll be hooked!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:25 pm

DonF wrote:I think GSP's and Britt's are good choice for a first dog. GSP's can be pretty hyper, Britt's a bit more laid back.
Brittany is more successful in the non-field arena, also. Shorthairs are just a little high maintenance for some beginners.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:38 pm

If she's cute and single she needs to start with a Pointer................

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Pointing Lab. The ultimate in versalitility.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

cptn

Post by cptn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Brittany!
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:07 am

Tri color setter female!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:30 am

Why a pointer? :D :D

Corry

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:13 am

Take her to a trial of some sort or a NAVHDA training day. Let her see what them cute puppies turn in to. Then let her decide which breed she likes the best.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:27 am

Mike50 wrote:Take her to a trial of some sort or a NAVHDA training day. Let her see what them cute puppies turn in to. Then let her decide which breed she likes the best.
+1

Corry

CacaoandNilla

Post by CacaoandNilla » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:34 am

+1 on the lab

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 am

I heartily second the choice of pointer if it is a pointing dog and a lab if it is not.

The pointer, moreso than any other pointing breed, comes out of the chute with the tools to make a good hunting dog. They often exhibit strong pointing instingct at 8 weeks old. They are pretty hard to mess up permanently, even for a novice, as long as they are not too too soft in the breeding. They can handle long hours of separation without going screwy on you and yet turn it back on, like nothing happened when they do get attention. i have found them to be excellent companion dogs also, if and when they are given the chance.

I like field or dual bred Brittanys a lot also as a first time pointing dog, but they generally require a much gentler hand and manner from their trainer and do not do as well with long separations. Theyseem to require more personal attention to really thrive.

Labs are great all around dogs, and some of them even point! Well...sorta point. :D :D

RayG

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:55 am

hustonmc wrote:If she's cute and single she needs to start with a Pointer................
Or get my number.....

Best running partner ever...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ultracarry on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 am

If you two are out together with the dogs, she is going to need a setter or you will make her look bad.
:D :D
Steve

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for all the responses! She wants a pointing breed because she is only interested in upland bird hunting (i.e. no getting up at 0330, setting decoys and freezing in a blind. Can't say I blame her. :wink: ). She's a runner and has a decent yard for the dog so I think she'll be in good shape there. She's been around a few of the breeds and just based on looks she likes the GSPs but is open to the Brits as well. Not particularly interested in the pointers or setters (no accountin' for taste I suppose). So it looks like we've narrowed it down to two breeds. Next question, any recommendations for GSP and Brit breeders within a reasonable driving distance of Central Oregon?
'Gertie'

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am

Talk to Gene Adams tonight if your coming out for training, i think he still has a couple pups availible...gsp's.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 am

Paul and Peggy Doiron had their bitch FC Wishful Thinking (aka Hope) whelp a litter of 10 pups about two weeks ago sired by my male NAFC FC AFC Spanish Corral's Sundance Kid (aka Sonny). They will be about ready for new homes Septemeber 1; coincidently, this will be the same week that they are in Madras, Ore for their northwest tour of Brittany field trials. I don't know what the have available but if she has interest you could pm me for contact information. They live in Southern California but it would be a tailor made delivery. If she is willing to pick from picturews and she can describe to Paul what she wants he is a very experienced pro who could match her with the right dog.

Both of these dogs are well proven on wild birds; Sonny chukar hunts 30 or 40 days a year and Hope probably gets 20-30 in on wild quail with Paul. Hope stayed with me during her breeding at my kennel and I would have kept her if I didn't hate being in jail...she was extremely sweet.

Here is a camera phone picture I took...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 am

Chukar12 wrote:Paul and Peggy Doiron had their bitch FC Wishful Thinking (aka Hope) whelp a litter of 10 pups about two weeks ago sired by my male NAFC FC AFC Spanish Corral's Sundance Kid (aka Sonny). They will be about ready for new homes Septemeber 1; coincidently, this will be the same week that they are in Madras, Ore for their northwest tour of Brittany field trials. I don't know what the have available but if she has interest you could pm me for contact information. They live in Southern California but it would be a tailor made delivery. If she is willing to pick from picturews and she can describe to Paul what she wants he is a very experienced pro who could match her with the right dog.

Both of these dogs are well proven on wild birds; Sonny chukar hunts 30 or 40 days a year and Hope probably gets 20-30 in on wild quail with Paul. Hope stayed with me during her breeding at my kennel and I would have kept her if I didn't hate being in jail...she was extremely sweet.

I think this is an excellent prospect and you have to consider the quality of support you would get, also.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:17 am

Actually, if she is available you should bring your friend out tonight just to meet and watch some dogs train, it might help her get a idea of what she wants....

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am

Nolan Huffman is in Montana right now for the season and has a clean male available, almost seven weeks. Sire is Rusty.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am

Pointer. Get one that doesn't run big and they will make even a novice look good not to mention they are prettiest birddog. :lol:

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:38 pm

EB? I’d recommend checking with L'Etoile du Nord Kennels in ND. Great guy, great dogs!

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Try the Other Other white meat....A Gordon Setter. Calm, loyal, great companion and would not be a runaway like some other breeds....;)
Tom

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:Try the Other Other white meat....A Gordon Setter. Calm, loyal, great companion and would not be a runaway like some other breeds....;)
I'm trying to get my boyfriend to get a Gordon. They're just cool 8) Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm going to have her look at this post and see what she thinks. Much appreciated.
Chukar12 wrote:Paul and Peggy Doiron had their bitch FC Wishful Thinking (aka Hope) whelp a litter of 10 pups about two weeks ago sired by my male NAFC FC AFC Spanish Corral's Sundance Kid (aka Sonny). They will be about ready for new homes Septemeber 1; coincidently, this will be the same week that they are in Madras, Ore for their northwest tour of Brittany field trials. I don't know what the have available but if she has interest you could pm me for contact information. They live in Southern California but it would be a tailor made delivery. If she is willing to pick from picturews and she can describe to Paul what she wants he is a very experienced pro who could match her with the right dog.

PM sent.

'Gertie'

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Drag her out. I think Gene raise's shorthairs so would have some there.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:25 pm

No Springer love :(

Corry

BrassVols

Post by BrassVols » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 am

RayGubernat wrote:I heartily second the choice of pointer if it is a pointing dog and a lab if it is not.

The pointer, moreso than any other pointing breed, comes out of the chute with the tools to make a good hunting dog. They often exhibit strong pointing instingct at 8 weeks old. They are pretty hard to mess up permanently, even for a novice, as long as they are not too too soft in the breeding. They can handle long hours of separation without going screwy on you and yet turn it back on, like nothing happened when they do get attention. i have found them to be excellent companion dogs also, if and when they are given the chance.

I like field or dual bred Brittanys a lot also as a first time pointing dog, but they generally require a much gentler hand and manner from their trainer and do not do as well with long separations. Theyseem to require more personal attention to really thrive.

Labs are great all around dogs, and some of them even point! Well...sorta point. :D :D

RayG
Tell it all brother....tell it all!

ChicagoGordon

Post by ChicagoGordon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 pm

I’ve had Gordon Setters for thirty years. If you are going for a companion and a steady close working dog you cannot beat a Gordon. Springset Kennels in Eagle Point Oregon has some very fine dogs. I have had dogs from several different sires, but if she wants a dog that is a true companion and good strong hunter look for a dog descendant from their “Skye Blue” sire.

I did business with Norm for twenty years by phone before I made it to his kennel from Illinois. His daughter Laura runs the operation now and they stand by their dogs.