Why Does My Dog get humped? Dominance?

Red

Why Does My Dog get humped? Dominance?

Post by Red » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:33 am

Today at dog park,(I try to leave when I see someone coming)Lab comes in hocks raised and starts humping my pup, there could be 10 dogs in the park and he's the only one that gets humped, what gives? :wink:

I said to the owner of the Lab that he should call his dog because that behavior can lead to a fight, he tries calling his dog to no avail. I call my dog and collared him up and and the Lab is still trying to hump my pup, I turn around and tell the Lab's owner to grab his dog so I can leave but either this guy was injured some how or had something up his you know what and didn't want it to fall out because he mad these slow, small movements towards his dog.. :? :?
I grab my dog by the collar and walk up to the guy so his lab will follow so he can grab his dog. I leave the dog park and sit in my car only to watch a male dog enter park and the Lab's hocks never raised and he didn't hump that dog?

My dog must have the "hump me" smell"... :P
Last edited by Red on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

Fester

Re: Why Does My Dog get humped? Dominance?

Post by Fester » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Pepper Spray?

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Use a cattle prod as a cane, and after the first "Sir could you please control your dog" second time bzzzzt, but thats just me. I understand that dogs show dominance this way and that is the natural order of things, but if you can not keep your dog under control and keep him from doing that in a public park then do not take him there.

Corry

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:04 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:Use a cattle prod as a cane, and after the first "Sir could you please control your dog" second time bzzzzt, but thats just me. I understand that dogs show dominance this way and that is the natural order of things, but if you can not keep your dog under control and keep him from doing that in a public park then do not take him there.

Corry

That'd be a good way to start a possible dog fight....I'd probably put my foot up his %($ instead. :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:if you can not keep your dog under control and keep him from doing that in a public park then do not take him there.

Corry
Yup. Unfortunately, dimwits do own (and fail to train) dogs. They take them to the dog parks so they don't have to walk much themselves.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:51 pm

I had one come up to my dog with his hackles raised in a "let's fight " stance. I asked the lady to leash her dog . She said " He's just trying to make friends . That's what he does; he's shy."
I'm ashamed to say that we did get into it for a few minutes. :oops:

Dominant dogs look for submissive dogs to hump. No doubt about it.
My dog humps the cat. This does not please the cat. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:16 pm

If your dog has only been humped once at the dog park then I'd say your "bleep" lucky. Didn't see where you live but seriously you got your panties in a bunch if only one dog has humped yours and one single guy that didn't do a "bleep" thing about it? Yes its a dominance thing, once the pup grows up it will learn to either take it or refuse it or if you don't like it you'll find a better way to handle it, and I'll stop there.

asc

Post by asc » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:37 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
Ghosted3 wrote:Use a cattle prod as a cane, and after the first "Sir could you please control your dog" second time bzzzzt, but thats just me. I understand that dogs show dominance this way and that is the natural order of things, but if you can not keep your dog under control and keep him from doing that in a public park then do not take him there.

Corry

That'd be a good way to start a possible dog fight....I'd probably put my foot up his %($ instead. :lol:
Yes!
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Jakezilla

Post by Jakezilla » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 pm

I only went to a dog park a couple times when I was new to dogs and quit. It's full of untrained, spoiled dogs and worse owners. Personally I think it is one of the worst places for your dog for a number of reasons.

If some dog was doing that to my dog I would tell the owner he has to the count of 3 before his dog got a size 12 boot up his a$$. I might not even make to 3 which would probably then escalate to something else which is why I don't go to those places :D

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:21 am

Jakezilla wrote:I only went to a dog park a couple times when I was new to dogs and quit. It's full of untrained, spoiled dogs and worse owners. Personally I think it is one of the worst places for your dog for a number of reasons.

If some dog was doing that to my dog I would tell the owner he has to the count of 3 before his dog got a size 12 boot up his a$$. I might not even make to 3 which would probably then escalate to something else which is why I don't go to those places :D
For those thinking they may go off on the owners my cattle prod idea is versatile for both dog (humper) and dog's ignorant human! :D :twisted:

Corry

Red

Post by Red » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:11 am

It's full of untrained, spoiled dogs and worse owners. Personally I think it is one of the worst places for your dog for a number of reasons.
I agree, I only use the park when no one is there, they came in the back way and I didn't see them. I collared my dog as soon as I could...
my cattle prod idea is versatile for both dog (humper) and dog's ignorant human!
:P

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:12 am

Is your dog fixed? I've always wondered if dogs can smell testosterone. I have an unfixed male and, while I haven't had issues with him getting humped (more the other way around :roll: ) I did have an issue with an aggressive dog (also unfixed male) that singled my dog out of a group of about 8 dogs. Bee-lined it straight at my pup without even looking at the other dogs.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:38 am

I've taken a couple of my dogs to a dog park. Before going in I always scope the place out for who is in there, the breeds, and what the owners are doing. If the dogs appear to be playing nice, and if the owners are engaged and paying attention, I'll go in. If the dog are going crazy and the owners not paying the least bit of attention to them, I'll pass.

I feel it's my job to keep my dog safe at a dog park, and I'm on watch constantly for approaching lone dogs. When that happens, I'll walk over toward that other dog with my shoulder back, as tall as I can and I'll warn that dog to be very careful. Walk right at them. That usually stops them and turns them away. If it doesn't I'll cut it off before he can get to my dog and turn him away. No need to get crazy about it, no boots in the butt, or violent acts. Just YOU be the dominant one. Sometimes helps to carry a good stick as a tool to fend off a stupid dog.

You have to know your park and who goes there. If you see big dogs with big chains on their necks, just turn around and go home! That coupled with a bunch of seedy looking kids.... trouble for sure.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Red

Post by Red » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:47 am

s your dog fixed?
Nope

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:21 pm

my lab toby will hump CERTAIN dog. he lets 10 others alone.
he is fixed also.
i dont let him off leash ,so i can keep it from happening.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:23 pm

JIM K wrote:my lab toby will hump CERTAIN dog. he lets 10 others alone.
he is fixed also.
i dont let him off leash ,so i can keep it from happening.
I've noticed my dog tends to try to hump large breeds more than dogs that are his size or smaller. He's got a thing for the great danes :roll: I've had success with using the ecollar on him whenever he starts and it has really cut back the incidents. I've also had some awkward encounters with owners that have requested I don't stop the humping because they feel like it's all part of the pack mentality....which I understand but humping is still not allowed in my pack.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:30 pm

you cock blocked your dog??????????????? you should be ashamed

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:13 pm

deke wrote:you cock blocked your dog??????????????? you should be ashamed
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fester

Post by Fester » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:19 pm

I knew this would wind up in the tank
Fester :twisted: