Meet Diemo

Georgia Boy

Meet Diemo

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Finally got shipping arranged for my new DJT pup. His name is Diemo (Zulu Aluminium X Arna Tomasanacka) He is out of some of the best dogs in the world, Serbian blood lines.

Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

AzDoggin

Re: Meet Diemo

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:33 pm

deutscherjagdterrier

Congrats. Those are some bada$$ little dudes from what I understand. How will you use him?

Duck dog? :D

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Light water fowl duty for woodies or jump shooting ponds, dove and flushing upland, boar, bear, bobcat, coyote, fox, badger, coon, groundhog, opossum, feral cat and blood tracking.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Nice lookin pup, and good luck with all the training needed for all the different hunts. I hope you have tons of fun with the pup! I am sure you are gonna have a lot of great hunts ahead of you.

Corry

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Hunted coons and hogs for about ten years with some Jagds, they are dynamos! Nice looking pup, good luck!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:Light water fowl duty for woodies or jump shooting ponds, dove and flushing upland, boar, bear, bobcat, coyote, fox, badger, coon, groundhog, opossum, feral cat and blood tracking.
Nice.

Those little buggers don't lack heart, I know that:

Supposedly one of the best blood trackers around, according to: http://www.amazon.com/Tracking-Dogs-Fin ... d+tracking

Have fun with that dog - keep us updated?

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 am

Good lookin' pup! Very interesting dogs. How are they around kids, strangers, etc....?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:14 am

They sound great for clearing out feral cats in my pheasant areas. Did you have to import him? Or does someone sell them around the states?

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:16 am

He is out of import dogs from Serbia, the Eastern European countries breed the most serious dogs and are still tested and hunted on game with full contact allowed. There are a few serious breeders here but most are breeding watered down dogs out of the standard. They tend to be breeding larger dogs, out of the breed standards making them useless for earth work which is supposed to be one of their primary uses. They also tend to be much less sharp. Basically bigger less aggressive dogs for hunting hogs only. Some of us are trying to import and breed dogs inside the standards and use them as the versatile dogs they are. Hopefully we will be able to establish a breed club here someday for those of us that are interested in testing, hunting and maintaining the breed.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:37 am

Very good looking dog!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

The best male I had was an american bred dog, 19lbs and a real head banger, the best female I had was a Croation import 16.5-17 pounds.

For a while and maybe still jagds seemed to be kind of a fad here in the states and people were breeding various mixes and anything that was black and tan was then called a jagd and sold at a premium.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for the information. I noticed groundhogs were mentioned. Would they be effective on prarie dogs with their smaller burrow holes?
Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:12 pm

rkappes wrote:Good lookin' pup! Very interesting dogs. How are they around kids, strangers, etc....?
My little jagd is a great family dog; she gets along with the setters, is very tolerant of little kids ( she wasn't raised with any kids, but we get occasional visits from them), and in the evening can't snuggle herself close enough to us. She barks at anyone coming on our property, but isn't at all yappy. On the chain gang at trials she's mostly okay but once in a while she'll take exception to an individual who wanders into our space.

Based on having this dog for several years, I would never ever suggest that a jagd be kept as a town or suburban dog. Ours needs a ton of exercise and the ability to hunt for hours every day or she gets nutty - like a couple JRTs on crack. Any thing with fur on it is gonna die if she roots it out. As nice as she is with people, when fur is involved, it's like a switch is flipped, look out. She self-hunts rabbits, muskrats, possums, coons, groundhogs, and assorted rodents and squirrels here. We tried to keep a barn cat, but that did not work at all. I have to put the jagd up if I want to work the big dogs on birds, until the birds are recalled; pen birds are easy pickin's.

In my area it seems like there's a growing interest in Jagds among birddoggers.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:03 pm

gotpointers wrote:Thanks for the information. I noticed groundhogs were mentioned. Would they be effective on prarie dogs with their smaller burrow holes?
Thanks
The problem with prairie dogs is that they have many exits in the colony. The dogs will dig themselves in if you have one that is still capable of doing earth work but your hunting kit will need to contain a shovel. :lol: The Eastern European dogs are probably going to be more than the average person wants to deal with. They will require a firm hand in training unless you are just going to keep them locked in a kennel and let them hunt as they wish.