Pup ate a hook (Last Update)

Munster

Pup ate a hook (Last Update)

Post by Munster » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:25 pm

What a freakin day! Decided to get the new pup out and play in the river as he water intro. Load he up and the other dogs and away we go!

Get there and there are a few fish laying around the sand bar, but I just kicked them into the river. I look up and Baja scooped up something and ran. As she turned I caught a glimps of the fishing line in the sun. My heart sank.

Very long story short, it was in her stomach. Off to surgery she goes. :cry:

So now, I have an 11 week old pup getting her guts opened up. Very bummed out.

Vet just called and said she will have to stay the night.

Here is a picture of Baja and then the hook.

Got the pup back home this morning. It was actually kind of funny because the vet called and I could her Baja in the back ground. Vet said, she had planned on keeping an eye on her through out the day. She then paused and said, "But you can come get her ANY time you want now!" SHe has a set of lungs! Thank you

I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and words. It is always stressful when your fur kids are in trouble.

Here are some more pictures!

Last edited by Munster on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Savage Destiny

Re: Pup ate a hook

Post by Savage Destiny » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:36 pm

Oh no! Poor little thing! At least you caught her in the act, so it can come out before it does any damage.

I'll be sending good thoughts her way.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:55 pm

when we TRY to get our pups a little freedom, IT HAPPENS.
toby ate a box of rat poison.i was lucky i saw him grab it near river.
i had 30 minutes to get him to throw it up. could not find any epacat syrup.
i was ready to bust the windows out of pharmacy when my brother arrived with it.

next, toby ate my rubber worm when i was fishing out of boat.
he dove in and got hook in his tongue.

LUCKY i always bend my barbs down ,so hook came right out. i release all my bass.

sooooooo, i could go on.
whiskers my SM swallow a bone 8 inchs long and he never threw it up.
man what we go thru with puppies.

sorry to hear about hooh. those hooks today dont rust also so its good you got it out.

take care jim k

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 pm

Pups are like children you have to be very aware of the dangers you can leave around for them but sometimes they just find away to get in trouble on there own. :x

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:22 pm

man thats scary, i hope your pup makes a quick recovery. when i saw that x ray i literally cringed.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Made me cringe too. I'm sure the pup will be fine.

Man, I forget how much they can get into so quickly. It's like having a 2 year old again...

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:35 pm

A friend of mine was shaving under her arms with a disposble razor,dropped it & before she could pick it a her boxer puppy swalled the thing whole.She took him to the vet & he didn't believe her,took & xray & sure enough there it was plain as day.He gave the pup epocak & in a few minutes he puked it up whole,saved her a surgery bill but still $90.00.Aren't puppies so much fun :!: :)

Then again dogs can be just as bad & that's why I don't use rags,towels,etc for bedding.They might not eat,tear up,or swallow anything for yrs then all at once it's gone & if it get locked in their bowels,your spending $2500 to $3000 to save their life!! NOT WORTH that one chance.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:They might not eat,tear up,or swallow anything for yrs then all at once it's gone & if it get locked in their bowels,your spending $2500 to $3000 to save their life!! NOT WORTH that one chance.
Have heard a few stories about the "$3000 tube sock." There's a reason for the statement "the price of the pup is the least of your long term costs of dog ownership."

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:12 pm

Hoping for a speedy recovery. What a scary ordeal. :|
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks.

What really sucked was telling her breeder.
I got her from Germany and the breeder was worried about sending her. He loves his pups as most do. But when he brought her, he wouldnt lether go. I had to literally take her from him. He was very emotional.
SO we keep in touch. Today was the day I was to Skype him and hi kids to tell him about how Baja is doing. He would be able to see her on video. SO when this happened I didnt know what to do. I was trying to find an excuse when the call came in. I jut held my breath and told him the truth.

He was angry and was very understanding. Big sigh of releif.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm

He'll get over it. Sheet happens. Its not his dog anyways.

I had a client from our spring litter a year ago whos dog ate some gloves and a bunch of sheet rock mud when he had people remodeling and putting an addition on his house. His dog just dang near died. It was really touch and go for awhile but "Hutch" made a complete recovery and I'm just glad everything worked out okay. Things happen.

Glad yours is okay too.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:16 pm

I used to think pet insurance was a scam, but in hindsight after raising my Britt from a pup I can see having it for at least the first year... My story is more GRPAHIC but not nearly as scary. Lets just say some interesting birth control found its way onto my front lawn one fine morning of my college graduation.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:37 am

She will be okay. It is good that you got her right in and they went and got it before it entered her intestines. That is where the real bad stuff can happen.

I had a very similar thing happen to Stella:

When she was a pup at home, I was sewing something and set the needle on a paper plate, I did not notice till too late, but Stella came over and I caught her out of the corner of my eye scoop something up on the plate. Immediately I saw the needle gone, I grabbed STellas muzzle and opened her mouth and saw the needle right at the back of her tongue. I tried to pin it down with my thumb but somehow it slipped down her throat. She also had a full belly so the needle was dead center of her stomach.

I brought her right to the EVets. The first (Young Vet said it will pass) I told her that in no uncertain terms were we going to let it pass because if it gets stuck in the intestine this is going to be a lot worse. I told her to get the head vet, He took her right in and operated. She is now 7 years old and is great. She was just a few days after the surgery as well but you need to limit them some. No rough housing running around etc. just for a while.

STuff happens fast.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:37 am

hope your pups going to be ok;;cc

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:39 am

Ruffshooter wrote:She will be okay. It is good that you got her right in and they went and got it before it entered her intestines. That is where the real bad stuff can happen.

I had a very similar thing happen to Stella:

When she was a pup at home, I was sewing something and set the needle on a paper plate, I did not notice till too late, but Stella came over and I caught her out of the corner of my eye scoop something up on the plate. Immediately I saw the needle gone, I grabbed STellas muzzle and opened her mouth and saw the needle right at the back of her tongue. I tried to pin it down with my thumb but somehow it slipped down her throat. She also had a full belly so the needle was dead center of her stomach.

I brought her right to the EVets. The first (Young Vet said it will pass) I told her that in no uncertain terms were we going to let it pass because if it gets stuck in the intestine this is going to be a lot worse. I told her to get the head vet, He took her right in and operated. She is now 7 years old and is great. She was just a few days after the surgery as well but you need to limit them some. No rough housing running around etc. just for a while.

STuff happens fast.
Rick

needle most likely would have passed.make pup swallow cotton balls also will help it pass.
why your vet operated when he can do a endscope thing on needle is beyond me. :roll:

we have pups that swallow fish hooks on normal basis at public dam .these are NOT TREBLE hooks, just plain hook.
acid in stomach eats it or it passes.
this is whyi dont take whiskers where people fish UNTIL he gets about 9 months old.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 am

Hope everything works out, sorry to see that.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup ate a hook (Update)

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 am

They should use a zipper for those incisions. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

Sharon wrote:They should use a zipper for those incisions. :)
I thought it looked like it was opened with a shard of glass. :?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Munster - it takes most dogs half a lifetime to accumulate some good stories about them - you sure didn't have to wait that long for Baja!!

I take it you were catfishing? That's a monster treble hook...

I can't remember who - seems like someone on the Versatile dogs forum once said while back - that dogs and fishing don't mix. I don't agree with that statement in general, but this deal proves there are hazards. There are a couple guys with good hunting dogs that take their dogs with them on flyfishing trips in the west -- those little flys have such tiny hooks that there are no worrries.

Glad to see you got your dog back.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:58 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Munster - it takes most dogs half a lifetime to accumulate some good stories about them - you sure didn't have to wait that long for Baja!!

I can't remember who - seems like someone on the Versatile dogs forum once said while back - that dogs and fishing don't mix. I don't agree with that statement in general, but this deal proves there are hazards. There are a couple guys with good hunting dogs that take their dogs with them on flyfishing trips in the west -- those little flys have such tiny hooks that there are no worrries.

I wasnt fishing with the dogs. I wouldnt do that. We were simply walking on a sand bar in the Cedar River. This hook was way up on the sand bar. The bar had been exposed for months due to the drought.
So I know it wasnt a hook that was "Lost" this was a brand new hook that still had stink bait on it.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:37 pm

Munster wrote:I wasnt fishing with the dogs. I wouldnt do that. We were simply walking on a sand bar in the Cedar River. This hook was way up on the sand bar. The bar had been exposed for months due to the drought.
So I know it wasnt a hook that was "Lost" this was a brand new hook that still had stink bait on it.
Wow, just a random deal. Scary - that could happen almost anywhere, then. What's a guy have to do, run his pup with a muzzle? That's terrible...

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:19 pm

JIM K wrote:[

needle most likely would have passed.make pup swallow cotton balls also will help it pass.
why your vet operated when he can do a endscope thing on needle is beyond me. :roll:

we have pups that swallow fish hooks on normal basis at public dam .these are NOT TREBLE hooks, just plain hook.
acid in stomach eats it or it passes.
this is whyi dont take whiskers where people fish UNTIL he gets about 9 months old.
Regular hooks are not stainless steel.
They did not have a scope.
The needle would and can get stuck in the intestines, Not worth the chance.
The right thing was done.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 pm

That treble hook looked really nasty ! I once had a springer pup of about 6 months that ate an entire plastic and foam double fly fishing wallet....... maybe 200 hooks ? All of the hooks were small ones. There was no sense in even going to the vet, she'd have needed opened up from stem to stern. She showed no signs of any distress at all and went on to live a long and happy life.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Well I for one would have thought this dog would have slowed down a bit. SHe had her guts layed open! Not a chance! How the heck do you keep a feisty little ball of fur quiet? :lol:

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:53 pm

Very happy for you that in the end- everything turned out alright.
$90 is a small price to pay in the big scheme of things.

The 3 years you aged in the process however- you'll never get back! :lol:
Had to be scary as heck though.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Wow! How scary!! I'm so happy to hear it turned out ok.

As an aside I love that spotted belly she has. Too cute.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:40 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Munster - it takes most dogs half a lifetime to accumulate some good stories about them - you sure didn't have to wait that long for Baja!!

my friend adam took his dog fishing in youngwomans creeek near northbend,pa. he was fly fishing.did it 1 times a week with his young dog. he turned his head and a 56 inch rattler had dog in neck holding on.
his dog ran with snake holding on screaming.
adam chased and killed snake while it was on dogs neck.
his dog died that night.

that is very sad one too.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Trekmoor wrote:That treble hook looked really nasty ! I once had a springer pup of about 6 months that ate an entire plastic and foam double fly fishing wallet....... maybe 200 hooks ? All of the hooks were small ones. There was no sense in even going to the vet, she'd have needed opened up from stem to stern. She showed no signs of any distress at all and went on to live a long and happy life.

Bill T.

oh my!~ :o

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:44 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
Munster wrote:I wasnt fishing with the dogs. I wouldnt do that. We were simply walking on a sand bar in the Cedar River. This hook was way up on the sand bar. The bar had been exposed for months due to the drought.
Wow, just a random deal. Scary - that could happen almost anywhere, then. What's a guy have to do, run his pup with a muzzle? That's terrible...

yes, run with open face muzzle until they are 9 months old.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Munster wrote:What a freakin day! Decided to get the new pup out and play in the river as he water intro. Load he up and the other dogs and away we go!

Get there and there are a few fish laying around the sand bar, but I just kicked them into the river. I look up and Baja scooped up something and ran. As she turned I caught a glimps of the fishing line in the sun. My heart sank.

Very long story short, it was in her stomach. Off to surgery she goes. :cry:

So now, I have an 11 week old pup getting her guts opened up. Very bummed out.

Vet just called and said she will have to stay the night.

Here is a picture of Baja and then the hook.

Got the pup back home this morning. It was actually kind of funny because the vet called and I could her Baja in the back ground. Vet said, she had planned on keeping an eye on her through out the day. She then paused and said, "But you can come get her ANY time you want now!" SHe has a set of lungs! Thank you

I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and words. It is always stressful when your fur kids are in trouble.

Here are some more pictures!

glad to see things went well. :wink: that was very big hook. :o

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:35 pm

The things these dang dogs put us through. :evil: glad everything worked out ok.

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:59 am

i can understand the breeder being upset but come on its not like you feed baja the hook to see it in pain and in the end of the day its not his dog anymore. so WTF

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Soooo glad pup is going to be ok !
Good thing you saw it early !

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Francois P vd Walt wrote:Soooo glad pup is going to be ok !
Good thing you saw it early !
you are right. thank god it was seen.whiskers my small munsterlander went behind tv last night.off went tv.
i went back and the insert plug was gone.
he took plug off set which is about 1 inch long.
so i looked before giving him the epacat syrup and found that he just knocked it under set.

that quick he could have swallowed it.
under 15 weeks some pups eat everything and maybe longer than 15 weeks.
whiskers is just starting to spit things out that he does get.but up until now, HE WOULD HAVE SWALLOW ANYTHING.

with these new POWERBAITS for fishing that are out, i bet a pup up until 2 years old will eat that stuff.
some pups like smell of fish. i feed whiskers SARDINES everyday so i have got to watch anywhere around powerbait fisherman /

no doubt he will eat it ,HOOK and all.

Munster

Re: Pup ate a hook (Last Update)

Post by Munster » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Well we are getting close to being 2 weeks out from surgery. The second day she didnt know she had a thing wrong with her. It was tough to keep her still.

Yesterday we had a NAVHDA training day and i took her with. Socialization is important at this age, as we all know.
We decided to put a couple birds out for her and see what she would do. The below pics are the result.

We also managed to add some gunfire to the mix with no problems!

Thanks for al lthe well wishes on her recovery, it seems to have worked!

Thanks D for the pictures!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:46 pm

You have a beautiful pup. Enjoy.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Hope all goes well. I had a lab that ate a treble hook and my vet told me to just let it by, turned out just fine.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Munster wrote:Well we are getting close to being 2 weeks out from surgery. The second day she didnt know she had a thing wrong with her. It was tough to keep her still.

Yesterday we had a NAVHDA training day and i took her with. Socialization is important at this age, as we all know.
We decided to put a couple birds out for her and see what she would do. The below pics are the result.

We also managed to add some gunfire to the mix with no problems!

Thanks for al lthe well wishes on her recovery, it seems to have worked!

Thanks D for the pictures!
She looks very intense and stylish, her tail is several degrees higher than the munsters I have seen. Great looking! I hope she turns into as good of a dog as your male.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:54 pm

She's a great pup, showing lots of point and promise. I'm glad everything turned out okay, and this incident will just be one of those "remember when" stories we share years from now. :wink: D