Dog dead in snare

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Dog dead in snare

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:31 am

I heard last night that a G.S.P. I had owned and trained for two to three years before selling him because I was no longer able to lift him over the nastier barbed wire fences is now dead. He got caught in a snare set by gamekeepers for foxes.
I feel sick inside. I should have kept him myself and just chanced that he wouldn't get hung up on barbed wire jumping the fences.

Goodbye Buck and happy hunting my big pal.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Ghosted3

Re: Dog dead in snare

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:36 am

Great looking dog, sorry for your loss :(

Corry

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:42 am

Sorry for your loss, i know its rough to loose a buddy We cannot forsee all events. You did what you thought was best considering the situation.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:13 am

Sorry to hear that. I hope you don't beat yourself up over it. There are just so many things that can happen to a dog.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:55 am

birddogger wrote:Sorry to hear that. I hope you don't beat yourself up over it. There are just so many things that can happen to a dog.

Charlie
Ditto. He was a good looking dog. Cherish the memories.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:51 am

Sory to hear this, never is easy seeing someone lose a friend.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 am

Bill: Sorry for the loss.

I hate those type traps.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:57 am

Man I feel for you- that has happened more that I like to think about around here. A pair of high quality aircraft cable cutters are always in my vest.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:54 am

Very sorry to hear about this.

UglyD wrote:Man I feel for you- that has happened more that I like to think about around here. A pair of high quality aircraft cable cutters are always in my vest.
UglyD - could you dig up a link to some of those cutters? I'd like to see what you are talking about.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:00 am

Some time ago. I went to a big outdoor show and visted the trapping booth. Once the guys understood that I was on their side (if birdhunters take a litlte flak from the ignorant for our hobby,think about trappers),they showed me how to open all traps, with the traps right there for practice. Doesn't do much good if you're not there, of course, but I feel better knowing.

Worth visting the trapping booth at an outdoors show, or even finding the trapping assocation and asking for instruction.

Deepest regrets to Trekmoor. You did what you thought was right for the dog. Can't do better than that.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:49 am

Someone else just recently lost a dog in a conibear trap. I am really opposed to those killer traps, they are non-selective in what they kill.

Sorry to hear about the dog.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:53 am

Deepest condolences.

All trappers often get a pass as very professional, truth is they don't all deserve that title and snares are easy and cheap and effective.....anyone wanting to protect their deer can set them, let alone setting them for fur species.
No such thing as a harmless snare.
All traps and all trappers are not created equal.
Learn to open any trap, be alert to any traps possible existence....but snares should be illegal.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 am

AzDoggin wrote:Very sorry to hear about this.

UglyD wrote:Man I feel for you- that has happened more that I like to think about around here. A pair of high quality aircraft cable cutters are always in my vest.
UglyD - could you dig up a link to some of those cutters? I'd like to see what you are talking about.
I went to a couple their sites
http://www.snareshop.com/products.asp?dept=131
http://www.sullivansline.com/sline/snar ... ehard.aspx

but ended up with with a pair from Sears for about $18 because I had that much left on a gift certificate-they had the double action deal- squeeze and supposedly gives you a extra 50% pressure.
Glad I haven't had to use them in a real situation but have tested them on cable and they work.
I have had that muskrat body trap latch on over my dogs snout- came off easy but had the blood pumping when I heard the noise.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:26 pm

UglyD wrote: I went to a couple their sites
http://www.snareshop.com/products.asp?dept=131
http://www.sullivansline.com/sline/snar ... ehard.aspx

but ended up with with a pair from Sears for about $18 because I had that much left on a gift certificate-they had the double action deal- squeeze and supposedly gives you a extra 50% pressure.
Glad I haven't had to use them in a real situation but have tested them on cable and they work.
I have had that muskrat body trap latch on over my dogs snout- came off easy but had the blood pumping when I heard the noise.
Thanks, man. Need a pair for my backpack.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks folks. I bought wirecutters a few years back but they won't cut heavy wire.I'll have to shop around again . There must be some shop in Britain that sells heavy duty cutters that aren't too big and heavy to carry around.

In Britain we have both legal and illegal snaring going on. Gamekeepers are allowed to snare foxes and rabbits and so are other folk with the required permissions from the landowners. Poachers and other folk who fancy themselves as British Davy Crockett's also use snares and they want to catch just about anything. This is the third time a dog of mine's (although Buck was no longer mine's) has been caught in a snare. I had a lab get caught in a poorly set fox snare and a G.S.P. get caught by a deer snare. I got the lab free myself but I was very lucky to have two other folk with me when the GSP got herself caught . The snare was set just above a very deep and wide ditch and she was left hanging over the ditch until we reached her. I'd never have managed to lift her back end to take the tension off and to free her at the same time.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:01 pm

My GSP got caught in a snare during a late season grouse hunt last year, if I hadn't been right there when it happened or off the beaten trail coulda got ugly.... the snare was right next to the main trail that everyone uses. whoever set that snare had no regards to bird hunters with dogs. luckily it snugged up on the snout and not around the neck, was probably set for rabbits or smaller game.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:16 pm

so sorry
cc

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Very sorry. :cry:
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 pm

How awful for you and for you and for the folks who owned the dog. Traps and snares are always a worry here, and we ask about them when we ask permission to hunt on new land, but we have had close calls when not all the landowner's family members know about the traps or snares that others have set. Ghastly.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:51 am

if you hunt in pa you will come accross traps.toby my lab has been in both types.i have been in snare also. so have a few deer found choked to death .also some alive with traps around their necks on pipelines, i have seen that too.

worst thing is some are putting poison in venison to get coyotes.
dogs eat venison before you get there.

THAT IS MY BIGGEST WORRY.

WE NEED TRAPPERS AND MOST ARE VERY GOOD PEOPLE.
THEY SPEND A LOT OF MONEY AND GET VERY LITTLE BACK

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 am

DonF wrote:Someone else just recently lost a dog in a conibear trap. I am really opposed to those killer traps, they are non-selective in what they kill.

Sorry to hear about the dog.
I agree Don. I really hate the use of these kind of traps too, especially in areas where people recreate with their dogs. It's gotten to be a real problem around here. I found this article from the Bulletin that speaks to the problem here locally. Not sure what should be done but it's pretty obvious that there are some trappers out there that aren't being real smart about where they put the dang things.

Trekmoor, I'm real sorry about what happened to the dog. He looks like a great boy.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'