Recommendations for general purpose hunting boots

Hondo

Recommendations for general purpose hunting boots

Post by Hondo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:40 pm

I am in dire need of new hunting boots and would like to get a general purpose pair that I can use for both upland game and deer.

It's been around 8 years since I last purchased boots, so I'm not familiar with the latest and greatest in boots.

I will be heading to Cabela's tomorrow to see what they have? My price range is around $150.00.

-Hondo

isonychia

Re: Recommendations for general purpose hunting boots

Post by isonychia » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Gore-Tex has taken over the market. I really don't like the stuff... you have to walk through a stream and your boots don't dry out for 3 days, yeah, gore-tex will keep your feet dry if you don't get any moisture over the top, bottom line though is that they are hot and make your feet sweat plus they never dry. The merrel moab ventillator, non-waterproof, is a great hunting boot. Not the BEST snow boot, but good for all other seasons. Yes your feet get wet, but yes they dry out and yes they breath (unlike gore-tex) Many brands have their own waterproof membrane that is similar, for me, the hunting season means breathable and lightweight - so no waterproof and mesh all the way. I have done a ton of long distance hiking and have worn out a great number of shoes. It is one thing I know, the mid-moabs (merril) offer better protection for hunting when you are off trail than the shoes. Salomon makes a great shoe, the aero... unfortunately they quit making that shoe in a mid boot. The most important thing, is that the shoes fits, my recommendations mean nothing if your foot bed fits these shoes differently.

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

If you hunt and train like I do the only boots that have been proven to work are LLBean Maine Boots. If you are not too heavy a hunter
then the Browning Birdhunter green boots will do according to some guides around here, but they only last about two years. I have a pair of
Cabelas birdhunting boots that are nice, but they are too pretty to get wet or get in the briars. I just use them for show at gun shows etc. They are comfortable.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Last year I went to Mucks, after swearing for years that I'd never hunt in rubber boots. Very lightweight, waterproof and more comfortable than most lace-ups I've worn. I've got the low-cut model; I can slip right into them.
My Danner and Irish Setter lace-ups also are tough to beat.
If I hunt multiple days in a row, I switch from one boot to another after a couple of days.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:52 pm

I just purchased a pair of Under Armouur Speed Freeks and wow was i surprised at the light weight and comfort right out of the box, like tennis shoes. I'm ruff on boots so we will see how they hold up but so far i'm impressed.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:45 am

I have had good luck over the last few years with Rockies. They are light, fairly resistant to brush and they fit my feet well. They have heavy dyuty cordura uppers so there is no waxing or treating the leather. you just hose them off. I liked the Cornstalker because the sole did not collect mud like typical lug soled boots, but they don't make that style any longer. The nubby sole available now picks up more mud that tne cornstalkers did but it falls off fairly readily also. I also like the styles that have a padded counter which eliminates the "break-in" period during which I will invariably wind up with raw meat on the back of my calves. That $h!t hurts.

My days of clambering over rocks are over. I hunt mostly flat and rolling farm country these days, so I don't need those deep, aggressive lug soles that can carry a pound and a half of mud each.

The poster who suggested that the multi-day hunter buy two pairs of boots is right on. The quickest way to kill a pair of shoes, or boots is to wear them day after day. This is especially true for leather. You gotta let them air out. 2 pairs and an electric shoe dryer. I bought a pair that slips into the boots like a shoe tree. They take up about as much room as a pair of socks.

RayG

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:36 am

Sure like my Danner Pronghorn GPX Camohides. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:25 pm

sandles with tall white socks. :mrgreen: :lol:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Wolverine Swampmonsters

TChism

Post by TChism » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:58 pm

I recently bought a pair of boots for upland hunting as my others were past fixable. I ended up getting the "Cabela's Mock toe Work Boot" $129. They look a little nicer than the Cabelas Kangaroo Upland boot and they felt better when I tried them on. I have only worn them a few days and they are awesome so far. However I do not know how they will hold up. Only time will tell. But I usually drop around $200 (usually Danners, Pronghorn or Sharptail Covey) every two years on boots and wear them plum out, so if these last two years I will be very happy, as they were less expensive and so far have been more comfortable than any other "hunting" boot I've had.

The way I see it is, if they were designed for standing on concrete all day they will probably be comfortable to walk in all day.

just my experiences.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:48 am

if you are going to do a lot of sitting,any top rubber boot like LACROOSE ALPHA BURLYS are best.
if you are going to do a lot of walking, like me for grouse only 1 boot i use.

HIKING BOOTS.they are best .
top brands are called MERRILL.I LIKE quest TOO.

I WILL NOT EVER BUY ANOTHER HUNTING BOOT AGAIN AFTER USING hiking boots.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 am

I have a couple pairs of Danners that I switch between. Non-insulated and 400 gram insulate. The 400's are wonderful all around boots. I use them for everything (training during the summer months, November deer hunting, ice fishing etc....)

This is my third year with them and they are holding together great. These were my first quality boots that I owned, I used to wear cheapies, what a difference good boots make!

+1 on the boot dryer.

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Pretty hard to beat Meindl Boots.
Willie Hunter