[Video] Fetching the big birds...

isonychia

[Video] Fetching the big birds...

Post by isonychia » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Finally did some work with the old hen in the freezer today, wanted to keep it fun even though we had force fetched this winter, took a couple of ear pinches and a lot of positive reward but overall an easy transition to fetching big nasty land birds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbY_sf2h ... e=youtu.be

SetterNut

Re: [Video] Fetching the big birds...

Post by SetterNut » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:14 pm

Enjoyed watching that.

My 3 yo setter has it in his contract that he doesn't have to pick up birds :roll:
Fortunately my new pup loves to retreive.

Nice work, keep it up.
Steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:18 pm

That was great! Well done.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:17 am

Good job, the energy you put out certainly carries over in your dog. Only thing I would do is NOT let the dog spit the bird in your hand, I would make the dog hold until you actually took the bird away with the release command.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:05 am

pointshootretrieve wrote:Good job, the energy you put out certainly carries over in your dog. Only thing I would do is NOT let the dog spit the bird in your hand, I would make the dog hold until you actually took the bird away with the release command.
+1.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:21 am

pointshootretrieve wrote:Good job, the energy you put out certainly carries over in your dog. Only thing I would do is NOT let the dog spit the bird in your hand, I would make the dog hold until you actually took the bird away with the release command.

I can go up and test him by tapping on the bird and so forth without him releasing, but as soon as my face makes the shape of give he spits? Not sure what to do about that one, maybe wear a mask. He does look like he is spitting a little early in this video though, good point.

As far as energy carry over goes, I think that was really an important lesson I only just learned last week. I have always been so serious in our training, adding fun and giving so much praise really cut down the amount of negative pressure I have to use, and we end up having more fun because of it.
Last edited by isonychia on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:27 am

He sure is nice and gentle on the birds but then you miss out on the auto-tenderizing that my friend's Britts do on their retrieves. :roll:

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:59 am

great video. very good work!

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:37 am

isonychia wrote:

I can go up and test him by tapping on the bird and so forth without him releasing, but as soon as my face makes the shape of give he spits? Not sure what to do about that one, maybe wear a mask. He does look like he is spitting a little early in this video though, good point.

As far as energy carry over goes, I think that was really an important lesson I only just learned last week. I have always been so serious in our training, adding fun and giving so much praise really cut down the amount of negative pressure I have to use, and we end up having more fun because of it.

Use another word like GOOD with your hand under his mouth and I will almost bet he will drop it in your hand, just put it back in with the command fetch or hold. Practice grabbing hold of the feet without him releasing, don't always take the bird right off, etc. Mix it up, most of all keep it fun and keep doing what you are doing.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:42 am

nice job
cc