Puppy?

reba

Puppy?

Post by reba » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:05 pm

I have a chance to buy a very nice female GSP puppy that was bred by the gentleman that trains my male GSP.

The problem is that a week after I would pick her up (8 weeks old) I leave for three weeks on my first bird hunting trip. I will be hunting my GSP and ACD as usual.

The question is; why should I not take the puppy along for the trip? The most I'll be out hunting at any one time is 2 hours. If she is locked in a kennel inside my truck I would assume she will cry then fall asleep. The rest of the time she will be bonding with me and the other two dogs.

The trip is 1,000 mile one-way. I camp in my travel trailer along the way and usually stop every two hours for pee breaks.

The other choice is leaving her with my wife. My wife loves animals and she has two dogs of her own; which are gun shy POS. If I take the puppy with me we can establish a bond and I can encourage her to be a very brave out going dog.

Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy?

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Sounds fine to me.

EDIT:
I gave you bad advice. Keep pup awayfrom strangers dogs until he has at least 2 puppy shots if not 3 for parvo. Sorry
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:33 pm

Parvo.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:52 pm

The only problem I can see as a new puppy owner myself. Is how much sleep you and your other 2 dogs will get before its's time to get up. And get the most for your money this trip will cost. If your wife is fine with it I'd just leave the pup at home.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 pm

If it were me, I would do which ever I felt the best doing. I would have to ask myself if I could still fully enjoy the trip with a baby along. Also, if others are involved, I would talk it over with them.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm with cajun here,I wouldn't be carting the new pup all over hecks half acre without being completely vaccinated..................
Cajun Casey wrote:Parvo.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Why not leave her with the breeder? I think eight weeks is safe enough to take a pup home but it certainly won't hurt her to stay right where she is until you get home. I do not think I would be carting a pup all over creation at that age.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:36 pm

TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:Why not leave her with the breeder? I think eight weeks is safe enough to take a pup home but it certainly won't hurt her to stay right where she is until you get home. I do not think I would be carting a pup all over creation at that age.
That's what I'd do if the breeder could keep the pup. May have to pony up some kennel keep $$, but it's be worth it for the pup, IMO.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:32 am

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot about exposing the puppy before it had all it's shots.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 am

Mike50 wrote:The only problem I can see as a new puppy owner myself. Is how much sleep you and your other 2 dogs will get before its's time to get up. And get the most for your money this trip will cost. If your wife is fine with it I'd just leave the pup at home.

i agree with you too. :wink: