Carsick puppy

benelli

Carsick puppy

Post by benelli » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:38 am

Our 4-month-old GSP hates car rides. We've tried tying him up in the back of the pickup (there's a pull-out bed cover, so he has a bit of shade and the option to look out over the side, but he's tethered so he can't jump out), kenneling him in the back of the truck, letting him sit/lay down in front of the passenger seat, and kenneling him in the back of a van ... nothing seems to be at all pleasant for him. He cowers when he realizes we're going to be driving him somewhere, drools to the point where it looks like he's foaming at the mouth, and usually throws up at some point along the drive.

It probably doesn't help that most of the times we go somewhere, it's a 2-hour drive. We do have a dog park that is 3-4 minutes away - would it help to make more frequent trips there, just so he has a better association with car rides? Or would that not make much difference? Is this just a puppy thing that he'll outgrow? The dog we had previously we bought at 1.5 years old and he never had any issues riding in the back of the truck - he was perfectly content with rides up to 8-10 hours - so I don't really know how to try to fix this, but we'd like to be able to take the dog places easily. Any ideas?

Thanks!

SHORTFAT

Re: Carsick puppy

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:03 am

Yes, make very short trips to something fun for the dog! eventually, you can gradually increase the distance... just like anything else. Good luck..
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 am

I lived through this and it is no fun. The short trip method will help but I believe time is the ultimate cure. I have heard of people giving the equivolent to dramamene (sp?) to help with the motion sickness but eventually most will simply out grow it on their own.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

mkleisch

Post by mkleisch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 am

I have used half a Dramamine tab, Vet's advice, successfully.

I've also noticed that my pup only threw up in the car when he ate some of his stuffed toys earlier that day.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:48 am

I have had a couple that got carsick as pups and did eventually outgrow it. Rather than Dramamine, my vet suggested Bonine which helps with carsickness without the drowsiness. It worked well for training days or field events since your not getting there with a half asleep pup.

For mild cases, a little bit of ginger or a few ginger cookies work good too.

buckmaster

Post by buckmaster » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:25 pm

taking him on 2 hr rides when he was prone to carsickness was not the best idea....now he has a pretty strong association. find a fun destination 10- 15 minutes away for the dog...and start going there daily...once he no longer cowers at the car...start extending the trip. if you start with short trips the bonine is not necessary...and he would probably get himself worked up enough once in the car he will be drooling even for short trips....if you must take a long trip...use the bonine hours in advance...but remember the he has a strong negative association so he will probably barf on the first long trip regardless.
When I brought home a setter a few years ago he drooled so much on a 2 hr ride home, I did not understand how he could have any fluids left in his body..must have been 2 inches deep in the kennel...took a good 3 weeks of short trips before he got over the issue...now no problems in a car or plane.

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I have never had one that didn't outgrow it
Fester

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 pm

I had one that used to get carsick. Got her at 12 weeks, about 6 months she grew out of it.

Lots of short trips to places that were fun for her.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:34 pm

I found putting them in a crate where they can't see out well helped a whole lot. The movement of things going by the windows is one of the main causes.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Will

Post by Will » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:46 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I found putting them in a crate where they can't see out well helped a whole lot. The movement of things going by the windows is one of the main causes.

Ezzy
+100
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:11 pm

I don't know about pups , but having had car sickness for 65 years I can tell you don't always get over it.
Driving or sitting high enough to see the horizon solves the problem for me. I would think pup would do better of he was high enough to see out the front.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 pm

The 2 year old I lost in January never did like riding in cars. She tollerated it but would immediately lay down on the passenger side floor. She rarely looked out the window and if she did it was only for a few seconds.