Important questions to ask a breeder ?

trojanman

Important questions to ask a breeder ?

Post by trojanman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:41 am

When interviewing a breeder what are some important questions to ask? I may not even be able to go see pup before purchase. I know people do this long distance thing but I have never and I'm slightly nervous. I found what I believe is a reeputable breeder. Thanks for any ideas.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Important questions to ask a breeder ?

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am

Ask them what they do if for some reason you cannot keep the dog.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Partially depends on what you want to do with the dog. For example, if you want to trial, I'd sure get information as to titles they've put on dogs and whether they're available for advice. OFA certification (or Penn Hip, I guess )for sure, regardless of what you want to do. And no reason you can't ask for references to owners of the bitch's pups from a previous litter. Get a pedigree and look at it. You might find out something about the pup's family just by internet searching.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:28 pm

I’d ask for references, health guarantees, research the dam and sire, breeder may have some video of the parents in the field they could send, and like steve007 stated make sure it’s the type of dog you’re looking for. I personally like when you can call or email a breeder with questions and they make time to answer them. Find someone you feel comfortable with, you don’t want any doubts. Not that it matters to some but I also like when a breeder/kennel truly cares about their dogs. When visiting with breeders/kennels you can sense whether or not they truly love their dogs and if dogs are their life, passionate I guess you could say. That’s my kind of person. My .2 cents.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

What sort of a gaurantee on genetic disorders and for how long. Two years is not enough. As I have stated on here before references are basically useless. you won't hear from people who have problems. How long has the breeder been in breeding go with somebody who has the resources to deal with problems that might arise. One litter breeders will probably be gone when you need them. Have an idea of what you want in a dog and ask if the breeder produces that type of dog. Find a breeder you feel comfortable go with it. Litter picks are a crap shoot. We usually let the breeder do it. Generally we pick the parents not the puppy
Try to find a breeder with passion, who is not blowing smoke.
If a breeder is totally happy with his puppies he is probably missing something or don't expect enough. Dogs don't come in perfect. Best not to pick by color because you miss the important things. It's all good. Good Luck CJ

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:24 pm

The first thing I would do is ask for a copy of any contracts or conditions they have. What kind of pup are we talking about?

trojanman

Post by trojanman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks. These are all great suggestions. I am looking at aDD. I want to be as sure as sure can before jumping in.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:47 am

cjhills wrote:As I have stated on here before references are basically useless. you won't hear from people who have problems. CJ
You would think it would be just the opposite. If I'm unhappy with a product/service I'm more likely to let people know.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:20 am

rkappes wrote:
cjhills wrote:As I have stated on here before references are basically useless. you won't hear from people who have problems. CJ
You would think it would be just the opposite. If I'm unhappy with a product/service I'm more likely to let people know.
Where would you get the names of these unhappy references. Very few people have a unbiased opinion about their dog. We had seven buyers from one litter all say they got the pick of the litter. I thought I did.
individuals in the breed are more important than the breed.
Nice to see you are putting some thought into your selection. It is a big decision and a long time commitment. Pick a breeder who will be there for you. We are replacing a puppy that got ran over buy a car.
Cj

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:13 am

cjhills wrote:
rkappes wrote:
Where would you get the names of these unhappy references. Very few people have a unbiased opinion about their dog. We had seven buyers from one litter all say they got the pick of the litter. I thought I did.
individuals in the breed are more important than the breed.
Nice to see you are putting some thought into your selection. It is a big decision and a long time commitment. Pick a breeder who will be there for you. We are replacing a puppy that got ran over buy a car.
Cj

Good point. I guess it would have to be by accident. If I called a reference that the breeder thought was a good reference but turns out is not happy with the puppy.
If a person is openly asking about a breeder/kennel and getting feedback that way they could possibly get some unbiased and/or negative feedback. I know I did when looking for my dad’s pup.

“Pick a breeder who will be there for you.” I think this might be the most important thing when buying a pup.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 am

Look at the parents like someone else said. Make sure their skeletons, joints, bite, are all good. How healthy are the parents and at what age. References are good in my opinion, people will tell you if their pup had problems, or they might tell you they are getting another one out of this breeding because they are so happy with there first pup. All these questions are good to ask. Get to know the breeder.

Steve

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 am

If the breeder has a nice website with three pages telling about their dogs and DOES NOT INCLUDE details in their contracts liking breeding and naming rights you probably have yourself a dishonest breeder and I wouldn't waste my money on them, if they are elusive from the beginning they will be that way when problems arise.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:34 am

One last thing. Ask what happens with the deposit if the breeding doesn't produce what you want. Some will not refund or make you pick from a future litter. This may lock you in for a long time. CJ

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 am

Boy , Pointers are easy.....talk to folks , ask alot of questions, buy the dog, shake hands ....and its yours. I've never had any trouble this way buying pointers or my labs for that matter.

Good folks who back up their animals and a handshake......

With a DD (unless I'm mistaken) it should be easy....those folks had to test the dog to a standard to breed it and register it as a DD........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:08 am

nikegundog wrote:If the breeder has a nice website with three pages telling about their dogs and DOES NOT INCLUDE details in their contracts liking breeding and naming rights you probably have yourself a dishonest breeder and I wouldn't waste my money on them, if they are elusive from the beginning they will be that way when problems arise.
This is funny! :D

birddog1968 wrote:Boy , Pointers are easy.....talk to folks , ask alot of questions, buy the dog, shake hands ....and its yours. I've never had any trouble this way buying pointers or my labs for that matter.

Good folks who back up their animals and a handshake......

With a DD (unless I'm mistaken) it should be easy....those folks had to test the dog to a standard to breed it and register it as a DD........
So true! My pointer now was a phone call to the breeder, talk to a buddy of mine who knows the breeder well. Sent him a check, got my dog and love him.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:57 am

I would love to hear the reaction if a potential buyer called Gary Lester or Erins Kennels and asked for an ofa, eye cert or penn hip of the parents. Or if the parents were certified by a breed panel to assure they met the confirmation standard before being bred.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 am

I would love to hear the reaction if a potential buyer called Gary Lester or Erins Kennels and asked for an ofa, eye cert or penn hip of the parents. Or if the parents were certified by a breed panel to assure they met the confirmation standard before being bred.
Whether it be with a southern accent, or an Irish one, a dial tone sounds the same.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:31 am

:D Good One Rinker!! :lol: So if a breeder has no BS contract he is not to be trusted??

From what I see & know the older breeders that have been at it for awhile & have experience don't have contracts for the most part.
The younger breeders & newbies do use contracts!!
I know who I WOULD BUY FROM.
I have owned GSPS since 1974 & bought from some of the most knowledgable in the country & I have bred to Nat FC & never signed or read the first contract let alone see one.
It's your money so make your own choice you don't have to agree with me or anyone else!!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:49 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote::D Good One Rinker!! :lol: So if a breeder has no BS contract he is not to be trusted??
I no BS contract is just fine if the breeder is up front about it, I would much rather see a breeders webpage say "As is, Where is, no papers, $300" than to have a breeder try to back door someone after they wasted a bunch of time dealing with them. If a breeder has enough time and ability to make a 3 or 5 page webpage, surely they should be able to attach a copy of all conditions that goes with the purchase.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 am

Here is another little tidbit to think about.If you breed & sell dogs long enough sooner or later you will sell to some one that is not satisfied!! :roll:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:08 am

I think that the questions that are most pertinent are answered better through researchable knowledge than by"interviewing" a breeder. The network in any given breed isn't a big one; going to tests, trials, shows, etc...will likely lead you to competent breeders through curiosity and reasonable social skills. Health information is readily available on line through some organizations in breeds where folks participate; OFA for example. If you spend a little time, information will come from enough directions to help you make a safe choice. I think I understand why people do contracts, but I haven't found them necessary and I doubt I ever will; the premise of it for a dog makes me uncomfortable.

I collect a few stud fees every year and sell some pups; they are almost always to people I have some type of relationship with. Even when they are not, I stall long enough before committing to figure out who I am dealing with. Occasionally things arise that can sour an otherwise presumed happy occasion; in example, I recently refunded an AI stud fee becasue the bitch didn't take. My stud is proven and I went through some effort with taking the dog for collection ( a distasteteful field trip at best) but the breeder didn't get his pups. I refunded the money and he will do the breeding naturally when he can in the future. We had no contract and not even an agreement, but I felt it was the right thing to do.

I don't mind people asking me any question what so ever, if they are unsure or don't know something I am happy to answer; but my reaction and willingness to reach out has a whole lot to do with how they ask the question.

FWIW,
Joe

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 pm

The important question to ask is how much do I owe you and what kind of a guarantee does he have. The rest I know and could care less about the breeder. When I buy a puppy I am buying a pup that is bred like I want it and the parents hunt and meet thew standard for the breed. I am not buying a breeder or do I expect him to take the pup back if it doesn't turn out like I wanted it to. It is the breeders till I pay for it and then it is mine. Other than a health issue that is genetic I do not expect the breeder to be responsible nor should he be.

Ezzy.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The important question to ask is how much do I owe you and what kind of a guarantee does he have. The rest I know and could care less about the breeder. When I buy a puppy I am buying a pup that is bred like I want it and the parents hunt and meet thew standard for the breed. I am not buying a breeder or do I expect him to take the pup back if it doesn't turn out like I wanted it to. It is the breeders till I pay for it and then it is mine. Other than a health issue that is genetic I do not expect the breeder to be responsible nor should he be.
It is extremely useful for a first-time dog owner or even a first-time owner of a specific breed or type to have a knowledgable, responsible and helpful breeder on whom to rely, ezzy. If you'll think back, you may have been the same way with your early dogs. Who helped you?

This gentleman is completely correct to consider not just the dog, but the breeder as well. A good experienced breeder is a support system if needed. Better to have it than not have it. Maybe even much better.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I don't think ezzy said anywhere in his reply he wouldn't help & I'm sure he would help as much as possible as I would & have.
Once some one buys a pup it is theirs some might want your help but you would be surprised at the ones that don't want to be bothered by the breeder after the sale.
My main concern after selling a pup is it has a good happy home & is well taken care of.I have taken back & returned the purchase price a couple times simply because the buyer was unsatisfied & I didn't care why they were unsatisfied.If they are unhappy for any reason the pup probably won't have the kind of home I would want them in.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Steve007 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:The important question to ask is how much do I owe you and what kind of a guarantee does he have. The rest I know and could care less about the breeder. When I buy a puppy I am buying a pup that is bred like I want it and the parents hunt and meet thew standard for the breed. I am not buying a breeder or do I expect him to take the pup back if it doesn't turn out like I wanted it to. It is the breeders till I pay for it and then it is mine. Other than a health issue that is genetic I do not expect the breeder to be responsible nor should he be.
It is extremely useful for a first-time dog owner or even a first-time owner of a specific breed or type to have a knowledgable, responsible and helpful breeder on whom to rely, ezzy. If you'll think back, you may have been the same way with your early dogs. Who helped you?

This gentleman is completely correct to consider not just the dog, but the breeder as well. A good experienced breeder is a support system if needed. Better to have it than not have it.
I hope I didn't indicate it wasn't important to be able to talk to someone to answer any questions you might have. Chances are that might happen well before I even started looking for a pup but there is no problem developing some sort of a relationship with the breeder or possibly just an owner or someone at a trial or hunt test. I think this is something everyone should do before getting to the breeder. BUT I CAN'T THINK OF A SINGLE BUYER OF A PUP THAT DIDN'T LEAVE HERE AND STILL ARE FRIENDS. We talk when someone has a question. But all of this said, what I posted before still stands. I just can't make a list of important questions since the only important ones are whatever someone wants to know which is diffeent with every owner, breeder, and buyer.

Like I said, I am buying a pup and not a breeder and I could care very little about the breeder. But if someone feels they need that list then this is a good place to ask and I think you will get a very varied opinion from different people and from that use what you need.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 am

The part about the breeder that I chose was he was asking me questions making sure I was going to supply a good home for the pup, so I knew he cared about the puppies as well. He also asked that if at any stage in the dogs life if it had some disease or something notable like hip dysplasia to let him know so he could log it for future matters.

Sometimes you also have to chose a breeder on proximity. I know that sounds kind of crappy, but if you want a (insert breed here) and there is one 20 miles away, another 50 miles away and the next closest is 400 miles, most likely most people are gonna chose one of the closer breeders unless money isnt an issue for them lol.

Corry

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:08 am

It seems the opposite to me Like the farther from home the better the puppy CJ

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am

I think the title to this thread should be "Imprtant Questions to ask the Buyer. The buyer should be much more interested in the puppy than the breeder while the breeder needs to find out a whole lot about the buyer.

JMO

Ezzy

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:58 am

cjhills wrote:As I have stated on here before references are basically useless. you won't hear from people who have problems.... Have an idea of what you want in a dog and ask if the breeder produces that type of dog. CJ

I have seen this opinion stated before and still disagree. If I am a buyer and ask for references, it should be my decision whether I take the reference's word as fact. If a breeder does not want to give me references, my first thought is "what is he/she hiding"? Please don't give offer the protection of privacy line on this one. In the business world, references are a common request and a happy customer has no problem talking about their experience with a kennel/vendor/salesman.... whatever. Not to mention, I completely agree with the second part of your comment which can also be aided by talking with references. You should know the difference between the types of dogs within a breed (show, ft, etc). Your clients can give very good, and sometimes more realistic evalutation of your pups (insert kennel blind breeder) and may help you understand what you are getting.

Good Luck!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:48 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

This gentleman is completely correct to consider not just the dog, but the breeder as well. A good experienced breeder is a support system if needed. Better to have it than not have it.
I hope I didn't indicate it wasn't important to be able to talk to someone to answer any questions you might have. Chances are that might happen well before I even started looking for a pup but there is no problem developing some sort of a relationship with the breeder or possibly just an owner or someone at a trial or hunt test. I think this is something everyone should do before getting to the breeder. BUT I CAN'T THINK OF A SINGLE BUYER OF A PUP THAT DIDN'T LEAVE HERE AND STILL ARE FRIENDS. We talk when someone has a question. But all of this said, what I posted before still stands. I just can't make a list of important questions since the only important ones are whatever someone wants to know which is diffeent with every owner, breeder, and buyer.

Like I said, I am buying a pup and not a breeder and I could care very little about the breeder. But if someone feels they need that list then this is a good place to ask and I think you will get a very varied opinion from different people and from that use what you need.

Ezzy
Agreed...

I have a pup from a breeder I don't especially care for, but I got him because I wanted a dog from a very specific bloodline cross, and he had the pup I wanted, when I wanted him.

My feelings about the breeder don't really matter, I got the pup I wanted, and am more than happy with him.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...