Western Kansas

aeast8

Western Kansas

Post by aeast8 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 am

I want to go to Western Kansas this year for the first time and do not know where to go. I have been looking at the crow counts and Graham county has the highest amount, but still not sure where to go. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Western Kansas

Post by ACooper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 am

Get a walk-in map and have at it. Plan your hotel stay or camp in a location according to available hunting. For the first few years plan on driving and looking at a lot of areas to find the ones that are suitable hunting.

Deets

Post by Deets » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Download the walk in access map onto google maps. Find the CRP WIHA areas that are close to a a pivot sprinkler, and you will find birds. I used to hunt around Goodland and that's how I found the best places.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:47 pm

ACooper wrote:Get a walk-in map and have at it. Plan your hotel stay or camp in a location according to available hunting. For the first few years plan on driving and looking at a lot of areas to find the ones that are suitable hunting.
I lived and worked in SW Kansas, around Hugoton, and there are quite a few walk in areas to hunt. Gert your hotel now. Pheasant season in Kansas is crazy!!! One of their biggest money makers for local businesses is the first few weeks of pheasant season. Good luck and I wish I was able to go back there. I met some wonderful people with some awsome land. Good luck.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:37 am

Deets wrote:Download the walk in access map onto google maps. Find the CRP WIHA areas that are close to a a pivot sprinkler, and you will find birds. I used to hunt around Goodland and that's how I found the best places.
Could you explain how you got the map...I tried finding it on google maps and could get anything to come up. Thanks

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:30 am

Hey Deets is that a funseekers rebel dog in avatar? I watched three funseekers rebel pups work and the look and are built just like that dog in your avatar.

Mike

Deets

Post by Deets » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:21 am

DogNewbie wrote:
Deets wrote:Download the walk in access map onto google maps. Find the CRP WIHA areas that are close to a a pivot sprinkler, and you will find birds. I used to hunt around Goodland and that's how I found the best places.
Could you explain how you got the map...I tried finding it on google maps and could get anything to come up. Thanks
Go to the Kansas Department of Wildlife website. Look for the information on the WIHA maps. There will be some links, and instrucitons on how to download to google maps. you can also download to certain GPS devices.

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/KDWPT-Inf ... tion-Files

Deets

Post by Deets » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 am

birdogg42 wrote:Hey Deets is that a funseekers rebel dog in avatar? I watched three funseekers rebel pups work and the look and are built just like that dog in your avatar.

Mike
Nobody knows Deets' lineage. He was out of an oops litter. The breeder was not quite sure who the father was, and I never got any information about the mother. Its too bad, because he is a heck of a bird dog. Others have said he looks like a Honky Tonk Attitude dog.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Deets wrote:
birdogg42 wrote:Hey Deets is that a funseekers rebel dog in avatar? I watched three funseekers rebel pups work and the look and are built just like that dog in your avatar.

Mike
Nobody knows Deets' lineage. He was out of an oops litter. The breeder was not quite sure who the father was, and I never got any information about the mother. Its too bad, because he is a heck of a bird dog. Others have said he looks like a Honky Tonk Attitude dog.
Honky Tonk was my first thought...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 pm

That head looks more Elhew like.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:03 am

I don't think the WIHA booklets are available yet. If you want to meet up with some other hunters check out texasgundogclub.com we're doing a trip up there in November! It's a blast!

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Dog Newbie.....check your downloads folder, it may have ended up there. I added the KS WIHA's to my google earth and the whole state looks red now if you zoom out far enough.

-John

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:14 am

Yeah I thought it was google maps you were talking about. I've got google earth on my computer at home but it might need an update. I'll give it a try. Thanks

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 pm

The KS DNR actually posts the GPS coordinates to all their WIHA areas. You can know nothing about the place and easily find all the WIHAs by plugging them into your GPS. The only catch is the GPS settings must be the same as the KS DNR settings. I called and one of the gamewardens walked me through the process. Very helpful and hunter friendly. Good luck, I always had fun out there....hunted around the Larned area several times.