Kennel sterilization

jwnissen

Kennel sterilization

Post by jwnissen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:32 pm

I just built a new kennel for my 11 month old GSP. I am new to this whole thing so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I turned a portable car port that was next to my house into the kennel so it is quite large, 14' X 26'. My question is how frequently do I need to scrub and sterilize the kennel? What works best that wont kill the neighbors plants? I will be cleaning and rinsing it off daily. Do I need to scrub it with simple green or something else daily? She will not be kept in there al the time, just somewhere to put her when we leave for the day so she doesnt destroy our house or lawn anymore. Thanks

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Kennel sterilization

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:30 am

Odor Ban works great smells great, I believe non toxic.
All depends on how messy your dog is.
My Ruby's kennel is every day because she is a pig.
The other dogs don't mess inthe kennles.

Odor ban is expensive till you dilute it per their recommendations.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 am

8380__63812_zoom.jpg
I have a small 2 run kennel, on concrete. I was told that simple Dawn detergent (the original blue version) worked good for cleaning and smell. Dogs are pretty clean but when I do clean them, it works very well. Wet down concrete, squirt detergent throughout concrete, take stiff broom and scrub, let sit for a couple minutes, spray and rinse, let dry...repeat every week or so...depending on dogs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 am

i use dawn and vingar to clean my kennels everyday on the inside and the kennels down every sunday using dawn and vingar keeps the smell down
cc

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Wysiwash System.... The only way to go.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:28 pm

pressure washer and bleach
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am

With one dog, even if it was in a concrete based kennel 24/7 you don't need to do much more than scoop the poop daily and wash it down with a hose every couple of days in the warm weather unless the dog is a pig and smears it all over. Sunlight does a pretty good job of sanitizing things all by itself.

If you wanted to do a thorough job of sanitizing every so often you could take a spray bottle, fill it 1/3 full of bleach and 2/3 with water. Spray down all the surfaces and leave it sit for five minutes or so(by the clock) and then rinse it off. A couple of tablespoons of dishwashing detergent will help to "wet" the surfaces more completely and since it will suds up, will require a more thorough rinsing. The detergent might also kill a germ or two that the bleach missed.

Do not use pine based cleaners like Pine Sol. They leave a nice smell, but are toxic to dogs. Dawn is good stuff.

FWIW I have a concrete floor kennel and the dogs live there. I do scoop every day and rinse down just about every day. Very few odors and that is with four dogs. I do the bleach thing about every couple or three weeks just on GP's but will sanitize every day, if I notice any loose or nasty looking stools.

RayG

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:40 pm

I just wash the floor off, my dogs dont go in there. One female will blow up if you dont let her out every day. Turds everywhere....except the kennel. I got the new pup on leash when let out (he is in the housde for now) I have a area I take him to and say poopy now, I keep him right there till he goes. Now he heads there first when let out. Keeps things easy cleanup wise. I read about Delmar doing this and gave it a try, it works.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:16 am

Thank you all for your posts. I guess I will have to wait and see how messy she really is. It sounds like I only really need to clean it every couple days as long as I rinse it off daily. Appreciate your help.

John