Kennel Manager,trainer,breeder rates

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Kennel Manager,trainer,breeder rates

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:08 am

Do any of our forum members have a feel for what would be an average salary for managing a 30 run kennel for English Pointers, GSP's and Labs. This is on a southern farm/plantation and includes being in charge of a breeding program, guide on quail hunts, running a training program for pups through finished dogs. It includes such things as running a booth at Pheasant Fest and other venues.Also available on the grounds are wild boar hunts, dove hunts, deer hunts, and flooding of bottom lands for duck hunting in co-op with Ducks Unlimited.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Kennel Manager,trainer,breeder rates

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:13 am

No but I may take a pay cut to come down and help. :) Sounds like a lot of work and I would be careful not to spread yourself (or anyone) too thin. Think about all you just stated. Kennel Manager, Breeding Professional, Guide, Trainer, Marketing Professional, Traveling to Shows, Hunting Grounds/Land Maintenance...sounds like a job for at least 2 if not 3 people. An owner to market and travel, a trainer to train and a kennel manager to run the kennel.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:26 am

I would not be responsible for land maintenance, bush hogging, etc. Their is a crew for that. Just dogs would be my responsibility and dog related issues. Tons of work, but to me it would be a dream job.

By the way I like your web design work and have admired it in the past. I would recommend you to the owner in a heartbeat.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 am

Hard to say, depends on the business, how much it brings in (how successful) and always Salary DOE .......

Cost of living of the area as well....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:35 am

Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:ITons of work, but to me it would be a dream job.
Agreed, now if I could get my wife to support me I would come down with her, and help you.
Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:I like your web design work... I would recommend you to the owner in a heartbeat.
Let me know if I can help. Would love to do what I can for you.

If you get your dream job - money can be VERY negotiable. I do not see many trainers/guides living high on the hog, but I see a lot of smiles on their faces.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:25 am

PntrRookie wrote:
Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:ITons of work, but to me it would be a dream job.
Agreed, now if I could get my wife to support me I would come down with her, and help you.
Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:I like your web design work... I would recommend you to the owner in a heartbeat.
Let me know if I can help. Would love to do what I can for you.

If you get your dream job - money can be VERY negotiable. I do not see many trainers/guides living high on the hog, but I see a lot of smiles on their faces.
The package is salary, bonus, 401K,Medical Insurance, and that smile on my face everyday.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:49 am

Not sure of the date but this site (http://www.ehow.com/info_7960675_salary ... ining.html) states...

The median annual salary for animal trainers was $26,930 or $12.95 per hour. The 25th percentile earned $19,710 per year or $9.48 per hour. The 75th percentile earned $37,540 or $18.05 per hour.

The highest levels of employment of animal trainers were in Delaware, Oklahoma, Hawaii, Kentucky and New York. In Delaware, annual mean wages were $37,500 or $18.03 per hour, where animal trainers also earned the highest wages in the United States. Minnesota paid annual mean wages of $36,630 or $17.61 per hour and in Kentucky, annual mean wages were $34,410 or $16.55 per hour.

Or here http://www.moneyandbusiness.com/careers ... lary-range
The average salary for a dog trainer is about $31,000 annually. This amounts to about 15 dollars per hour. The middle 50% of all dog trainers make about $27,000 annually while the bottom 10% make around $17,000 annually. The top 10% make more than $52,000 annually. The top 10% tend to work with film and entertainment industries, government organizations and research facilities.

JMO...I bet a lot of these are foo-foo dog trainers too. ;)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Are quarters, vehicle and fuel included?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Are quarters, vehicle and fuel included?
Presently quarters are not included, but that may change by years end. I would be temporarily living off site. There are several large atv 4 wheelers on site and several 4 & 6 dog trailers with gun racks built in under the lids. I would be paying for my own fuel getting to and from the farm which would be maybe a 5 mile drive.

I have seen some rates from $52000. to 84,000. As I am now retired, (took a buyout) it would be too sweet and very tempting.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:52 pm

PntrRookie wrote:Not sure of the date but this site (http://www.ehow.com/info_7960675_salary ... ining.html) states...

The median annual salary for animal trainers was $26,930 or $12.95 per hour. The 25th percentile earned $19,710 per year or $9.48 per hour. The 75th percentile earned $37,540 or $18.05 per hour.

The highest levels of employment of animal trainers were in Delaware, Oklahoma, Hawaii, Kentucky and New York. In Delaware, annual mean wages were $37,500 or $18.03 per hour, where animal trainers also earned the highest wages in the United States. Minnesota paid annual mean wages of $36,630 or $17.61 per hour and in Kentucky, annual mean wages were $34,410 or $16.55 per hour.

Or here http://www.moneyandbusiness.com/careers ... lary-range
The average salary for a dog trainer is about $31,000 annually. This amounts to about 15 dollars per hour. The middle 50% of all dog trainers make about $27,000 annually while the bottom 10% make around $17,000 annually. The top 10% make more than $52,000 annually. The top 10% tend to work with film and entertainment industries, government organizations and research facilities.

JMO...I bet a lot of these are foo-foo dog trainers too. ;)
I agree big time.