This one got me, kids got it right.

markj
GDF Junkie

This one got me, kids got it right.

Post by markj » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:35 pm

A Dog's Purpose?
(From a 6-year-old).

... Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa , and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued,

''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

NC Quailhunter

Re: This one got me, kids got it right.

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks for sharing that.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Adults do have tendency to confuse things... Kids sometimes see more clearly without the complexities of "why."

Nice story.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Wow. Thanks, that made my day. 8)
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:19 pm

That was wonderful. thanks for posting

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:06 pm

markj wrote:A Dog's Purpose?
(From a 6-year-old).

... Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa , and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued,

''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''
Put a lump in my throat and a little tear in my eye, which doesn't happen often.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:31 am

Smart kid, thanks for sharing.

Corry

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:29 am

Great start to my day. Thanks

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Where is the like it button? Great story.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:25 am

very good story, made my day!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks a lot! Now I'm gonna need a hanky. The more dog's I lose, the more it hurts. I have a great poem I found that I made a note card from. Took forever to write it, had to much trouble keeping my own composure. Bet if I posted it here, there would be ten wet eye's for every dry eye.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:33 pm

Bet if I posted it here, there would be ten wet eye's for every dry eye
I would like to read it. Got a lot of empty collars in my box. Miss every neck that filled em.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Put a lump in my throat and a little tear in my eye, which doesn't happen often
My wife just asked me what in the heck I have to snif tears in the corner in the eyes when we are watching news on tv..

"bleep" kids sometimes I would like to have no worries like them and just live...

Thanks
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!