Epagneul Breton (French Brittany)

quackerjack

Epagneul Breton (French Brittany)

Post by quackerjack » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:49 pm

I hunt upland game (pheasant, forest grouse, chukar, huns, and quail) mostly and occasionally waterfowl. I am very interested in the Epagneul Breton (EB) because of its train-ability, size, temperament, and versatility, and drive. I plan on getting a dog in a year or so and was curious to hear from those EB owners and trainers out there --
What has been, in general, the best thing about EB's and what has been the "weakest" thing about them?

Thanks in advance!
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Epagneul Breton (French Brittany)

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm

I have three and had another.

They are a great grouse dog. I hunt two in the duck blind. They are wicked hearty. They are wicked smart. The have tons of bird instinct. They are tough as nails. Even the ones that seem like they are sensitive are tough and bird crazy. When they are hunting they just plain get it done.

They are a bit emotional like all french.
They are good at making you think you are putting to much pressure on them when they actually will give in once you get by that point. They are kind of good actors.

They can get fat easy.

I will always have these dogs. They have been the best out of the box hunting dogs I have been around.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:09 pm

The best things is they are great dogs, the worst thing is... NOTHING!

Actually you already iterated the best things, and I think they are all true, but I am biased as I have 10 of them here right now. The worst thing, is really hard for me to say, as I am not real sure there is a worst thing. I am too close to them and as such probably don't see things someone more distant would see. So I will leave that to others to say, and I am sure they will and probably tell you to get a Shorthair, Wire Hair, or some other breed too LOL We all think our breed is the best.

Oh you forgot to mention that they are very good looking to. You can see for yourself in the current Gun Dog Magazine, and see an exceptionaly beautiful dog, I wonder who he belongs to??!! Oh wait that is my dog, Darius!! LOL
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:17 pm

For sure, that Darius is a good looking dude:

Mark, is this Darius holding the wood duck (halfway down in this article?) Link: http://www.gundogmag.com/2012/08/14/bre ... -brittany/
“There are three things I recommend to anyone wanting any age of French Brittany,” says Mark Dinsmore, a French Brittany breeder from Star of the North French Brittany Kennels in North Dakota. “First of all, look for a close ‘French connection’ in the breeding of any for-sale dog.
Congrats, sir, you've hit the big time!! :D

Like all dogs, some lines are more desirable than others. Mark, Ruff - how are your dogs in the house and in the duck blind? Do they have the proverbial 'shutoff switch?' I had an Am. Britt many moons ago that was a hyper maniac. Her nickname was "helicopter dog." How are yours?

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Yes it is Darius. I had not seen that picture as I had not looked at the online article before now. The 3 middle pictures are Vern, and the Black and White puppy is Gin, one of Vern's puppies.

I typically have 2 to 4 dogs in the house all the time. They are very calm. I do have 2 that are a little more rambuncuos at times, but they usually settle down too. I personally have turned down selling a puppy to someone that won't have the dog in the house. They are very people orientated and crave human contact.

As far as the duck blind, I really don't know. I am not a waterfowler at all, as I can't keep still in a blind! LOL I know Vern's littermate Elsie who is mentioned in the story does hunt a lot of ducks, so I assume they do just fine. I know Darius swims back and forth across the pond by my house chasing the ducks back and forth and have seen him do it for over half an hour, so they do just fine in water!!
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
Meg de Sugar Creek

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:38 pm

I have had mine now for 7 months and I have been extremely impressed. As stated, smart as can be and she has.made training very easy. She is VERY affectionate and is a big part of our family. If your dog isn't going to be a part of the family I would look to another breed as these dogs thrive on family and aim to please big time.

Breeding is everything as with other breeds. My gal pointed quail at 3 months and pinned her first grouse at 6 months and let me walk in for the flush. Can't wait to hit the real hunting season. Feel free to pm me if you would like more info.

Weaknesses?? Well since they are the smallest pointing breed, don't expect them to bring back a 14 lb goose.... now with that said... they will try their all to do it!! :-)

Hellie De L'Escarbot "Ellie"

Cory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by C.painter on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:12 pm

ohmymy111 wrote:Yes it is Darius. I had not seen that picture as I had not looked at the online article before now. The 3 middle pictures are Vern, and the Black and White puppy is Gin, one of Vern's puppies.

I typically have 2 to 4 dogs in the house all the time. They are very calm. I do have 2 that are a little more rambuncuos at times, but they usually settle down too. I personally have turned down selling a puppy to someone that won't have the dog in the house. They are very people orientated and crave human contact.

As far as the duck blind, I really don't know. I am not a waterfowler at all, as I can't keep still in a blind! LOL I know Vern's littermate Elsie who is mentioned in the story does hunt a lot of ducks, so I assume they do just fine. I know Darius swims back and forth across the pond by my house chasing the ducks back and forth and have seen him do it for over half an hour, so they do just fine in water!!
Mark, your dog Vern is probably the most decorated Breton in the U.S. isn't he?
Accomplishments:

Reserve Placement FBGDA National "Solo" Field Trial, Georgia 2006. UKC
1st Place Irish Red and White Setter National Field Trial. Kentucky 2006. UKC
1st Place Irish Red and White Setter National Field Trial. Kentucky 2006. UKC
1st Place Big Sky Epagneul Breton Gundog Club, Wild Bird Field Trial. Montana 2006. UKC
Tres Bon 3. Chinon France 2006
Excellent 4. France 2006
Excellent 2. France 2006
C.A.C.T France 2006
AKC Senior Hunter Title awarded 2006
UKC Champion Show Title awarded 2006
UKC Top Ten Dog 2006
1st Place FBGDA National "Couples" Field Trial. Arizona 2007
1st Place FBGDA National "Solo" Field Trial. Arizona 2007
3rd Place German Shorthair Club of Minnesota Amateur Walking Stake. Minnesota 2007 AKC
2nd Place Minnesota Brittany Club Open Gundog (Horseback) Wisconsin 2007 AKC
2nd Place German Shorthair Club of Minnesota (Horseback) Minnesota 2007 AKC
1st Place FBGDA National "Wild Bird Couples" Field Trial Kansas 2008
1st Place FBGDC of Georgia "Liberated Bird" Field Trial Georgia 2009
Reserve Placement CEB-USA National "Solo" Liberated Bird Field Trial March Iowa 2009
1st Place Epagneul Breton Gun Dog Club of Georgia Wild Bird Open Solo Field Trial, Florida 2010
AKC Master Hunt Title awarded 2010
1st Place FBGDC of Georgia "Liberated" Braces Field Trial February 2011

I see that he's about 8 years old. What have you learned about the pups he's sired?

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:29 pm

He was the 1st one to get any of the titles in UKC and to my knowledge the 1st and only American bred dog to win a Field trial in France. What I didn't know about that win, until this year, was that in couples(braced) trials in France, all the dogs are "Champions" before they run in braced trials. So he beat out all Champions to win that trial!!.

He has competed in 6 different venuses. UKC, AKC, horseback and AKC walking trials, AKC Hunt Tests, NSTRA and France. He has placements in every venue he has run in, and I don't think there is any other dog of this breed to ever do that.

I stopped trialing him for the most part several years ago, except to let him have a chance to get out and run. After the NSTRA Regional Champiopnship this year, I have completely stopped trialing him, as I wasn't keeping him at the level of training he needed to be at and felt he deserved to spend the rest of his life just being a dog and enjoying himself with no pressure. He is even at 8+ years still one of the best pure hunting dogs I have ever seen and while he has slowed down some, still outruns most other dogs. He is still and always will be my buddy first and foremost!!

He has a number of dogs that he has produced that have been very successful in the Field and in the Show ring. Jovi, Owner djloder, who is on this board has been very successful, and Derek has done a great job training him. Fergus and Felix have done very well in the Field, and also have their Show Titles. My dog Darius has done very well in the Field, and I am hoping to take him to France to compete, but that has hit a snag for next year, as the person I was going to send him over to for a bit to get use to france, may not be able to take him as originally planned. Darius also has his Show Title.

Jacque, has his Show title, and is one of 3 dogs of this breed to, my knowledge to win Best in Show, in the ring. The other two being Vern, his sire and Cytise his Dam, so they have kept it in the family.

Several other pups, Gin, Thor, being 2, of them will be starting their field trial careers soon.

I see and hear about his pups a fair amount, and he has produced consistanly excellant dogs as Field Trailers, everyday hunters and companions.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
Meg de Sugar Creek

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:54 am

Rob:
They do have a shut off switch.
They are just fun to have.

They are just great little bird dogs.
Although my Buster is not that small and handles cold weather Duck work better than most GSP around.
He and Stella are real good in the blind. But like anything you have to do your work to get them to understand why sitting still is the right thing to do.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. I can't wait to join the club and have the pleasure of owning and hunting with my EB.
Ruffshooter wrote:I will always have these dogs. They have been the best out of the box hunting dogs I have been around.
AzDoggin wrote:Darius is a good looking dude
Ruffshooter wrote:They do have a shut off switch.
They are just fun to have.
This is exactly what I am looking for! And boy am I glad they have a shut off switch, if for no other reason than for my wife. :lol:
I second AzDoggin and add that I have yet to see any EB that doesn't look good. Big fan of the tri-color and also any color roan.

I love seeing your dogs so feel free to post pics of your EB's.

Thanks again!

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 pm

I will let the experts talk about the breed, I can only comment on my dog.

My background:

Grandpa had 400+ acres and ran English Pointers (yes, I still call them english pointers). My father went with a field bred Irish Setter, which was the dog I grew up hunting over (a boy, his .410, and his dog, life can't get much better). After the setter died, both dad and uncles had a GSPs. A long way to say I have hunted over a variety of pointing breeds.

Why did I choose EB?
I read a bunch of web sites that basically said the same thing you have listed: small, bidable, highly driven, companions. My wife wasn't sure she wanted a dog, much less one in the house. I was wanting to get back into hunting (after a 20 year hiatus) and knew you can't do that without a good dog. So, I drug her to the breeders (with a few protests). And after watching Jim work the full sister on pigeons at age 2 or so, we all sat down to talk bird dogs and bird hunting - not a subject to keep my wife's interest. While we were sitting there, Magic (nine years old and due to deliver in two days) came up and put her head in my wifes lap and just calmly sat there letting my wife pet her. Twenty minutes later my wife announced that she wanted a dog "just like this". Momo isn't quite there yet, but we are getting closer every month.

My Dog:

Momo is an orange roan from Les Bois Brittanys, out of Magic by Ditto. At 2.5 years, she is a 36 pound, muscle bound, birding machine. If you are wondering Momo is Japanese for "Peach". And if you look at the middle top picture on the puppies web page at lesboisbrittany.com (or just my icon), you will see she did look like a fuzzy little peach.

Intense is the first word I would use to describe Momo. It doesn't matter what we are doing, she is intense. Hunting, intense. Eating, intense. Getting attention, intense to the point of being annoying at times. She even seems intense when sleeping. For the first year, the only time she was off was when she was in the kennel in the car... which was a heaven sent blessing. Added to the intensity is strict tenacity. She does not give up on anything. No bird is going to get away from her nose, of course neither is that doughnut that the guy at the offleash park has. She will stayed focus on the current subject - at least until she catches the scent of a bird. Then you multiply the intensity and tenacity with a limitless source of energy and you have a one to two year old EB puppy. They can be a handful. At the peak of craziness, we were spending 3-4 hours a day off leash at a 40 acre park. And then another 15-20 minutes of fetch or training (hunt training or obedience). And that was almost enough to keep her from chewing everything, almost. At 2.5 she is begining to develop her off switch (they say it should be in full working order by age 5). She will actually lay around the house for minutes at a time. It is a little shocking. That said, her nose still does not have an off switch (she isn't hard headed about listening, it is just the nose getting in the way).

From a "I want a house pet" point of view, intensity, tenacity, and energy are not on the "best traits" list. However, when you drop that combination in the field you have a fantastically fun time. As I said, I have hunted over pointers, GSP, setters and to me hunting an EB is like hunting over an incredibly intense setter more so that a pointer. They don't have the same "free spirited"-ness that I find in setters instead there is an intensity about every move. But they don't have the natural range like a pointer (I remember pointer pups that would circle a 40 acre field before you got out of the truck). Also, I have recently hunted with springers and find that EB does not have a mantic energy of a spaniel, but more a focused energy. This past year was Momo's first year hunting (couldn't get out when she was 7 months old) and she was fun to work with. We hunt daily in western washington heavy cover (high grass, weeds, blackberry patches). She loves it (well, she doesn't like blackberry patches). On one occasion we got in a little late and ended up trailing a group of 4 guys with 5 dogs (labs and GSPs) across a 15 or so acre field. She pointed 3 birds they had missed. Later in the year we took a trip back home (Oregon side of the Snake River) and hooked up with some guys who have been hunting the area for years. They had an English Pointer, an English Setter, an English Springer Spaniel, and a mini lab. 5 minutes into the kochia weed, the guy who owned the spaniel wanted to know what breed she was and where he could get one. 15 minutes in he wanted to know what I would take for her. I said the wife wouldn't let me sell her. At the end of the day he offered a straight trade: the pointer setter and spaniel plus my price for my EB - that way my wife could still have a dog. All day long Momo had burried the other dogs. Didn't matter the cover (kochia, standing corn, wheat, stubble, ditchbanks), if a bird got up 75-80% of the time momo was there. The only thing their dogs did better was the lab could retrieve. And yes, she was birding ALL day long for the second day in a row. Energy to spare.

While it may sound otherwise, Momo is actually going to be a great house pet. She adores people (more so that I do, I suspect). The younger the person the better. She thinks everyone should be said hi to and assumes everyone loves dogs. One of her best friends is the 3 year old daughter of the people who watch her when we are on vacation. The sitters have a harder time than the three year old girl at getting Momo to calm down.

So, a very long way to say:
I love hunting over good dogs, and it doesn't matter the breed, I know they can all get it done. However, for my style and my enjoyment the EB is a great fit (though next time I might go with a tri-color). Small enough to be in my house, but still has that beautiful point. Granted I don't do much duck hunting (if I do it is in the corn stubble not the river), so I probably won't ever have a dog that is a fantastic water retriever (though I know some EBs who love to do this as well). But I do love to walk heavy cover all day finding pheasants and Momo loves this too.

You should definitely think about what you want the dog to do and go find not only the breed that fits this, but the right lines as well.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:11 pm

A terrific breed. I've had two of them. An American x French brit and a French brit . I preferred the cross bred bitch. She was more sort of "with me" when hunting although she was a very good and long ranged hunter. Even on the grouse moors she won trials when competing against GSP's etc. Her main "fault" was that she wasn't keen on water retrieves. She swam across rivers and even the inlets of lochs but she did that because I insisted, she did not do it because she was a "natural" water dog.

I agree with the comment that said something like, "It is a breed that works straight out of the box." If I was to find fault with the breed ....as I see it in Scotland .....the fault would be that their hunt drive often so greatly outweighs their retrieve drive that training retrieving can be a bit difficult. That might not pose a problem to you if you train F.F. , I don't train it and I did struggle to get good retrieving but only on dummies. Freshly shot game was a very different story ! They are very "natural" little working dogs.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Qwernt wrote:Intense is the first word I would use to describe Momo. It doesn't matter what we are doing, she is intense. Hunting, intense. Eating, intense. Getting attention, intense to the point of being annoying at times. She even seems intense when sleeping. For the first year, the only time she was off was when she was in the kennel in the car... which was a heaven sent blessing. Added to the intensity is strict tenacity. She does not give up on anything. No bird is going to get away from her nose, of course neither is that doughnut that the guy at the offleash park has. She will stayed focus on the current subject - at least until she catches the scent of a bird. Then you multiply the intensity and tenacity with a limitless source of energy and you have a one to two year old EB puppy. They can be a handful. At the peak of craziness, we were spending 3-4 hours a day off leash at a 40 acre park. And then another 15-20 minutes of fetch or training (hunt training or obedience). And that was almost enough to keep her from chewing everything, almost. At 2.5 she is begining to develop her off switch (they say it should be in full working order by age 5). She will actually lay around the house for minutes at a time. It is a little shocking. That said, her nose still does not have an off switch (she isn't hard headed about listening, it is just the nose getting in the way).

From a "I want a house pet" point of view, intensity, tenacity, and energy are not on the "best traits" list. However, when you drop that combination in the field you have a fantastically fun time. As I said, I have hunted over pointers, GSP, setters and to me hunting an EB is like hunting over an incredibly intense setter more so that a pointer. They don't have the same "free spirited"-ness that I find in setters instead there is an intensity about every move. But they don't have the natural range like a pointer (I remember pointer pups that would circle a 40 acre field before you got out of the truck). Also, I have recently hunted with springers and find that EB does not have a mantic energy of a spaniel, but more a focused energy. This past year was Momo's first year hunting (couldn't get out when she was 7 months old) and she was fun to work with. We hunt daily in western washington heavy cover (high grass, weeds, blackberry patches). She loves it (well, she doesn't like blackberry patches). On one occasion we got in a little late and ended up trailing a group of 4 guys with 5 dogs (labs and GSPs) across a 15 or so acre field. She pointed 3 birds they had missed. Later in the year we took a trip back home (Oregon side of the Snake River) and hooked up with some guys who have been hunting the area for years. They had an English Pointer, an English Setter, an English Springer Spaniel, and a mini lab. 5 minutes into the kochia weed, the guy who owned the spaniel wanted to know what breed she was and where he could get one. 15 minutes in he wanted to know what I would take for her. I said the wife wouldn't let me sell her. At the end of the day he offered a straight trade: the pointer setter and spaniel plus my price for my EB - that way my wife could still have a dog. All day long Momo had burried the other dogs. Didn't matter the cover (kochia, standing corn, wheat, stubble, ditchbanks), if a bird got up 75-80% of the time momo was there. The only thing their dogs did better was the lab could retrieve. And yes, she was birding ALL day long for the second day in a row. Energy to spare.
Wow. Excellent, if not sobering, description of what sounds like one heII of a birddog there, Qwernt! It's been awhile since I've been around that level of intensity - it could almost match to a "T" a little American Britt I had years ago. That little mutt would run all others into the ground. Very nicely described by an individual who obviously enjoys the nuances of owning and hunting with a bird dog.

TM79

Post by TM79 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:30 pm

I have had mine for 4 months now and I couldn't be happier. They are very very smart and amazingly affectionate. They are great hunting dogs as well home pets.
Do your research and find you a well breed dog , it will make your life really easy. Our puppy point and holds very well @ 4 months old.

All I can say is that me and my wife are very pleased with our choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TM Equine Reproduction LLC

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 am

TM79, care to share where you got your pup? I like the idea of a natural hunter...
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 am

TM79, that's a good lookin' girl you got there and she's a Mooney pup. I've talked to John some as I've been doing my research. He runs a great outfit but you definitely pay for it. It was actually a Gun Dog Mag article interviewing John Mooney on the Epagneul Breton that first introduced me to the breed.

Who are her parents? Did you do any training through his program or all yourself?

TM79

Post by TM79 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:25 am

JWP58 wrote:TM79, care to share where you got your pup? I like the idea of a natural hunter...
They are very natural for sure!!

I got my puppy from L'Ecarbot Kennels (and C.PAINTER did as well). After a LOT of research I decide going with L'Escarbot Kennel because they have the look (morphology/conformation) and hunting ability (trials and hunting) that I was looking for. I spoke with John Mooney (owner) over the phone few times and also went to his house to visit all his dogs. My puppy is out of Toy de St. Lubin (Import France) x Dottie de L'Escarbot. Toy is also the sire of the well known Vern (Vernon de L’ Escarbot) owned by L'Etoile du Nord Kennel-Mark Dinsmore. My girl Holly is 4 months old now and she a machine. Give John a call it would be the best but you can also take a look at their website. http://www.lescarbotkennels.com/

Again ... all I can say is that I'm very proud of our Holly !

TM79

Post by TM79 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:49 am

quackerjack wrote:TM79, that's a good lookin' girl you got there and she's a Mooney pup. I've talked to John some as I've been doing my research. He runs a great outfit but you definitely pay for it. It was actually a Gun Dog Mag article interviewing John Mooney on the Epagneul Breton that first introduced me to the breed.

Who are her parents? Did you do any training through his program or all yourself?
Thanks ... we love her a lot.
Her parents are Toy de Saint Lubin x Dottie de L'Escarbot. I have not done any training through his program, I brought her home @ 8 weeks old and have done all the training myself.

One thing for sure ... you will love this breed !!
Keep us update ok

Thiago

TM79

Post by TM79 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 pm

C.painter wrote:I have had mine now for 7 months and I have been extremely impressed. As stated, smart as can be and she has.made training very easy. She is VERY affectionate and is a big part of our family. If your dog isn't going to be a part of the family I would look to another breed as these dogs thrive on family and aim to please big time.

Breeding is everything as with other breeds. My gal pointed quail at 3 months and pinned her first grouse at 6 months and let me walk in for the flush. Can't wait to hit the real hunting season. Feel free to pm me if you would like more info.

Weaknesses?? Well since they are the smallest pointing breed, don't expect them to bring back a 14 lb goose.... now with that said... they will try their all to do it!! :-)

Cory
Hey Cory,

Nice to see more pics from your gal !!! How big is she now? Mine is 17lbs @ 4 months old.
Sounds like you are having just as much fun as I'm. Let me know how the hunting season goes for you guys !!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:51 pm

I bought my father a pup from Mark Dinsmore/L’Etoile du Nord Kennels. The pup was a surprise birthday gift for my old man. The pups name is Georgia (aka ‘The Roan Rocket’ or ‘Porgie’). She is out of Vern x Ardoise.

Ardoise is my favorite! :D

Georgia is the most natural bird dog we’ve ever seen. She’s definitely “all” bird dog. She’s a little beast in the field and has a motor that just doesn’t quit. Bird findin’ fool. If you didn’t stop her from hunting/running she would run until she keeled over dead. She’s very driven but yet very biddable. She actually might listen the best to my 6 year old niece Chloe, they are best buds.

Georgia is very smart.

The thing that impresses me the most with her is her steadiness on wild birds at such a young age. At three months old she was handling birds like a veteran.
Her range/cast is fabulous. She naturally adjusts according to the cover. Short stuff she’ll stretch out and tall she’ll work a bit closer.

We don’t waterfowl hunt but I’m pretty sure she’d be great at it. She enjoys water and retrieves very well. Wonderful natural retriever, very soft mouth, brings our training quail back alive and unharmed….that’s with minimal training.

My dad is hoping to take her out dove hunting, in the blind, to retrieve doves but not sure how that will go.
Like stated above its sure fun seeing her run other dogs into the ground. I think a lot of people underestimate EBs.
Not sure if it’s true with all EBs but Georgia is very quiet in her kennel, crate, etc…

Mark is a wonderful guy and has unbelievable dogs. You can tell Mark loves his dogs and that his dogs are his life. Mark always has time for questions, whether over the phone or over email. He always makes you feel welcome and is very sincere. He is also very passionate about what he does and is a true advocate of EBs.

We highly recommend Mark and his dogs. Our family is very proud to own a dog from Mark and will continue to work with Mark in the future.
Georgia loves life, loves everyone and is a little clown.

Can’t go wrong with an EB…especially one from L’Etoile Du Nord Kennels!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Georgia and Cora our 5 month old niece

Chloe and Georgia

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Chickens @ around 3 months

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:58 pm

My father and Georgia relaxing after a morning run

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 pm

MN Roosters

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Spoiled much?

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Who me? This is probably my favorite photo of Porgie.

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Awesome pics! Thanks

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm

My buddy Trav and his dog Ed. Ed is from Windy Acres Kennel.

djloder

Post by djloder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:49 pm

I sure love my eb! I couldn't ask for more out of my pup. I've tested him in NAVHDA, UKC and AKC.
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:35 pm

rkappes wrote:My buddy Trav and his dog Ed. Ed is from Windy Acres Kennel.
rkappes, do you who Ed's parents are?

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:47 pm

quackerjack wrote:
Eds parents are Nell and Gar.

Ed is a heck of a dog. Trav is a cool dude as well! I'm sure Trav wouldn't mind answering any questions you had, I can PM you his email address if you want, just let me know.

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

rkappes wrote:
quackerjack wrote:
Eds parents are Nell and Gar.

Ed is a heck of a dog. Trav is a cool dude as well! I'm sure Trav wouldn't mind answering any questions you had, I can PM you his email address if you want, just let me know.
I would love for you to send me Travis' contact info. Ed is a very good looking dog and by the looks of it, a great hunter.
Thanks a million Ryan!

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 am

Hunter my 2 3/4 years old is just the best dog around. He is a hunting machine, I do grouse, woodcocks and ducks with him and get a lot of success in each of those. He's a great member of the family, really soft and patient with my sons . When he is in the house the switch is OFF and he is most of the time sleeping on his carpet.. But when you open the door watcha 'the swich come On quickly. The only thing I dislike about my dog is that he shed a lot. I tried a lot of thing to help it out without success. My frien have one too and he shed a lot too and they are not from the same breeder.

All-around a great great dog will have others britt in the futur for sure.

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:34 am

mobeasto123 wrote:The only thing I dislike about my dog is that he shed a lot. I tried a lot of thing to help it out without success. My frien have one too and he shed a lot too and they are not from the same breeder.

This may be an obvious question, but does Hunter shed seasonally or year-round? That was one concern of mine, but references I've read mostly say average to light shedders. Have you had other dogs? If so, does Hunter shed more, less, or similar to other breeds you have owned? Which kennel did you get him from?

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:39 am

TM79 wrote:
C.painter wrote:I have had mine now for 7 months and I have been extremely impressed. As stated, smart as can be and she has.made training very easy. She is VERY affectionate and is a big part of our family. If your dog isn't going to be a part of the family I would look to another breed as these dogs thrive on family and aim to please big time.

Cory
Hey Cory,

Nice to see more pics from your gal !!! How big is she now? Mine is 17lbs @ 4 months old.
Sounds like you are having just as much fun as I'm. Let me know how the hunting season goes for you guys !!

Just took Ellie to the vet.. I was like WOW.... 43 lbs at 7.5 months! Needs to slim down a little:). She will be hunted hard so not to worried going into the season. Someone mention they can get fat quick... Real quick. She doesn't look heavy.. but could loose about 6 lbs. She gets plenty of exercise.... Just need to cut back on the diamond naturals a little.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:48 am

mobeasto123 wrote:The only thing I dislike about my dog is that he shed a lot. I tried a lot of thing to help it out without success. My frien have one too and he shed a lot too and they are not from the same breeder.

This may be an obvious question, but does Hunter shed seasonally or year-round? That was one concern of mine, but references I've read mostly say average to light shedders. Have you had other dogs? If so, does Hunter shed more, less, or similar to other breeds you have owned? Which kennel did you get him from?
All year round... I'm now clipping his hair down a bit so I still got to vaccum hair everywhere but it seem to pile a little bit slower.. I asked my vet and after trying more protein more fat, fish oil, food for coat and other things the vet just told me he must be like that.. So I have a shedding Britt but it's still better than Lab or GSP that have some hard hair that really enter in the couch tissues, in the car seats and everywhere they can and are hard to get rid of.. This is a bad point for me but there too much Good point on this dog to even think about changing ... There is somehow a really good point about Brittany hair is that it is autocleaning and doesn't a bath often some say 2-3 times a year. They always smell good and you can take them to the worst mudpit as soon they are dry they are cleaning the stuff dont stick to their coat and after they shine as new... Mine come from MLM Brittany in Quebec.
Earlier someone told that they are good actors, he is right. Mine is really good at faking too much pressure.. Also is a bit hardheaded but I think they are all like that. In training sometimes he just block and look at me like '' If ya think I'm gonna do that today !!!!'' at that time I have to put a bit more pressure on him.. By the way E-collar works really great for training a Britt.

Again they are Real Hunting machine and also great family members what can a man ask for more..

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:42 am

[quote="C.painter]

Just took Ellie to the vet.. I was like WOW.... 43 lbs at 7.5 months! Needs to slim down a little:). She will be hunted hard so not to worried going into the season. Someone mention they can get fat quick... Real quick. She doesn't look heavy.. but could loose about 6 lbs. She gets plenty of exercise.... Just need to cut back on the diamond naturals a little.[/quote]

Last time I took Momo back to the breeder his comment was "She's a PIG!", she was about 37 lbs. For future reference, if you need something to put weight on a dog, peanut butter is great (wife is not allowed to give her treats anymore).

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 pm

For those that haven't shared, would you let me know where you got your dog? I have contacted close to ten Kennels and it would be cool to hear/see the results of those that I have talked to and maybe see some other options.

I truly appreciate all the comments!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:22 pm

[/quote]I would love for you to send me Travis' contact info. Ed is a very good looking dog and by the looks of it, a great hunter.
Thanks a million Ryan![/quote]

Just PM'd you Travs info.