Bears and pigeon lofts?

isonychia

Bears and pigeon lofts?

Post by isonychia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:11 am

This year we have had a lot of bears coming into town, and so far this month we have had at least 4 or 5 visits at our house. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with bears getting into their loft or know anyone who has? We can kill bears in CO if they are destroying property, and I'm sure I could get some rubber bullets, but that is an awful lot of attention I am brining onto myself shooting in the middle of the night within city limits. Even though my town doesn't directly ban pigeons, "poultry" and "agricultural animals" are banned, so it is best to keep that under the radar and not on front page small-town news paper "Bear killer protecting illegal pigeons..." That is how the media works.

DogNewbie

Re: Bears and pigeon lofts?

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 am

I'm more familiar with brown bears (I'm assuming black bears are visiting you?) but I'm guessing rubber pellets to the flank would do the trick. We would use 8 bird shot on grizzlies and it would give them a good scare. When it hit them in the rump and they'd run off, but other than that it didn't do them any harm. They have some seriously thick skin. Not sure how thick black bear's skin is and you'd want to consider the fact that you're in a populated area. Rubber bullets would seem to be on the safer side of the law I would think. I'd talk to the sheriff's department and explain that you have had bears wandering onto your property and you are wondering if you are allowed to fire rubber bullets at the bears if they start to destroy your property. If they say that's fine, I'd then go visit the neighbors and give them a heads up that you are worried that some bears might start wrecking property and that you intend to scare them off with gunfire. That way if it does come down to that, neither the sheriff nor the neighbors will be to surprised when they hear gun shots coming from your property.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 am

Yeah the only problem is that I'v got some lower income apartments across the vacant lot... a lot of people to go knocking on doors, I might just hold my breath or ask DOW for a trap... maybe get that bee-bear fence early.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:43 am

How about some bear spray?

Or just get more pigeons I guess...
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 am

I'm going for the air-horn and a slingshot first I think.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:06 am

Try closing the predator door on your bobs! :mrgreen: Probably the best thing is to get the game department to bring out a trap. Tell them you've got one hanging around and the wife is afraid to take the garbage out, or some other excuse. Actually if someone is out there when it comes around, it could be ugly.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:26 am

isonychia wrote:I'm going for the air-horn and a slingshot first I think.
That's a good option I think...Careful with that bear spray...that'll probably kill your pigeons anyway...not to mention blind you if you spray it the wrong way. It's extremely strong stuff

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:37 am

Hot wire might work?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:42 am

I'm not so sure an air horn would be ant less intrusive than a rifle shot. The horn blast will probably last linger than the sound of one rifle shot. Hot wire does sound like a good idea to me!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:24 pm

+2 on the hot wire! :)

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:50 pm

isonychia wrote:That is how the media works.
Wrong. The media also will scour your neighborhood to find that one goofball who had an argument with you five years ago. They will get him to confirm that, yes, you always did seem a little strange. They will find out about your three classic over-and-unders, aka your "weapons cache." If you also have a semi-automatic, it will be duly reported that you have an "assault weapon." If you bought a few boxes of birdshot when they were on sale, it will be noted that you had "hundreds of rounds of ammunition" stashed in your house. If your name turns up on a google search along with the term "Tea Party," that will be reported, even if your name is Joe Smith or Bill Jones.
That, my friend, is how the media works.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 pm

I'd do the hotwire but it would have to be a solar electrifier, I need one anyways for honeybees next spring but live paycheck to paycheck because of all of this hunting business I'm doing.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:29 pm

isonychia wrote:I'd do the hotwire but it would have to be a solar electrifier, I need one anyways for honeybees next spring but live paycheck to paycheck because of all of this hunting business I'm doing.
All you'd need is an extension cord and a piece of 12-2 romex and some 1/2" pvc pipe................................ :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:42 pm

isonychia wrote:I'd do the hotwire but it would have to be a solar electrifier, I need one anyways for honeybees next spring but live paycheck to paycheck because of all of this hunting business I'm doing.
I sure hope you aren't using a hotwire for honey bees..We are in trouble already because of a shortage of them to perform their pollination chores.
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:07 am

i think that he means he will use hot wire to protect honey bee hives from other animals. A honey bee wouldn't be affected by hot wire any way, he would not be grounded. A bee, or any insect or bird could land on an electric fence wire with out being shocked. I think I am right about this, some one please correct me if I am wrong.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:16 pm

You are right. But people do put up two wires, one hot and one grounded to kill insects. That is how the bug zappers work.

Al
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:31 pm

.22 short shot from inside the house would work fine in conjunction with the hot wire.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat May 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Bringing this back. Never had a problem with my pigeons and bears but did get an electric fence for the garden. I now have bees as well. We are moving and the dog will be able to hang out in the property more. The pigeons and bees are in the same fence. I'm wondering if my dog will possibly develop a blinking habit after getting shocked around the pigeon loft by the fence. There really is no way around this scenario. It is going to happen. Just want to hear from people who have experience with this situation.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:02 am

I have a friend in Montana that has a big black lab, looking dog, that will run black bears out of his apple orchard.

I am certain my Healers would do the same along with many other dogs.

My GSP's would just point at them:-)=